corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Help with setting up for some team photos with a car. Picture of location included

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with setting up for some team photos with a car. Picture of location included
Rob E

User status: Offline
19th Mar 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good Evening All,

My manager in work has asked me to take some team photos with our new car in work as he knows that photography is a hobby of mine. I have never really attempted group photography before but don't want to let the team down and love the idea of trying something outside of my comfort zone so I'm asking for some advice on the best way to go about it.

The plan is to have this photo framed in a few offices around the workplace in anything upto A3ish size so I want to get the best result possible in camera. I have photoshop and dont mind carrying out some small touching up

This is the location I have to work with, its quite light being glass fronted with all interior walls painted white and weather forecast is predicting another glorious cloudy day on the day -

Equipment I have -

7D with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non VC)
Tripod
x2 Yongnuo 560-II
x1 Yongnuo 565EX (ettl)
Hahnel wireless triggers
x3 lightstands + swivel hotshoe mounts that will extend to 2m high
x2 white shoot through umbrellas
x1 silver reflective umbrella

I'm 99% sure the car is going to be a dark metallic grey colour and will be positioned similarly to the photo above. It is just as important as the people being photographed.

Here is a very rough setup I was thinking of trying -

I have about an hour to set up before the shoot and one of my work colleagues who has recently taken up photography is willing to help me set up and try some test shots etc.

The group size will be x3 groups of around 15 people followed by x1 group shout with around 45 people.

Any help/advice would be tremendous.

Thanks,

Rob
Christopher

20th Mar 13 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good! I am no photographer but the plan seems good! Only thing id recommend with the group of 45 is that you do a similar set up but a rasied shot if you know what i mean! So dlsr and tripod are say 10ft higher in the same position as youve put i think would look good
AndyKent

22nd Mar 13 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the smaller groups what you have is fine, although you will probably want to be off the ground and have them looking up at you.

The 45 people will be more tricky. You need loads of light to keep everyone in focus so I would consider doing this outdoors.

Get up high(ish) so you have a better chance of seeing every single face.

Outdoors I wouldn't be too bothered about the lighting because daylight will overpower it anyway.
If you really want them, put both lights either side of you to put a spot of light in their eyes.

Good luck, it won't be the easiest job. Take a million pictures, and make sure you keep the DOF as closed as possible.
Ben G

22nd Mar 13 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whenever we do group photos in work, the photographer is always up a set of ladders (on wheels) with us looking up.
Rob E

23rd Mar 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I wanted to get high up but health and safety bollocks stopped that I had to shoot this using works 450D and a rickety old tripod in the end the hassle I would have had to go through to get my camera gear authorised for temporary use on site just wasn't worth it unfortunately.

Pics came out ok albeit a bit flat and soft but that's more down to the 450D's kit lens. Chromatic Aberrations everywhere too
Tom G

27th Mar 13 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On a side note, loving crewe?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Help with setting up for some team photos with a car. Picture of location included 24 database queries in 0.0101390 seconds