corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » CMS - What do you use...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CMS - What do you use...
Dom

User status: Offline
11th Feb 13 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wordpress + ULA/UAM plugin (fair few about for wordpress) is your best bet. And there's plenty of decent SEO plugins.

Otherwise there's things like CushyCMS, which basically gives users a wysiwyg web-based editor to update certain parts of a web page (this is determined by embedding classes within the HTML) - used it for static sites and it works well.

Dreamweaver is a no, no! Purely on the basis of how shite it is handling multiple users updating a site and it tends to update what it wants (usually the whole fecking site with out-of-date files).
Brett
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Otherwise there's things like CushyCMS, which basically gives users a wysiwyg web-based editor to update certain parts of a web page (this is determined by embedding classes within the HTML) - used it for static sites and it works well.

Sounds like a winner whittie
pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by pow
Can you just use PHP and call txt files? We do that here at the school

Considering you are like 10 years younger than me Mr Pow you are extremely old school! first VB.Net and now flat file databases.. See that is what the public sector does to people

It's just when people want to update the text that they see on the department TV screens, I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple when it doesn't need to be hard

There's a PHP webpage with images and stuff on it, a little 'message board' that a teacher can update by updating a text file linked toa shortcut on their desktop. Why teach them how ti log into a Wordpress site blah blah blah, they can write text into notepad no problem
Dom

11th Feb 13 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by pow
Can you just use PHP and call txt files? We do that here at the school

Considering you are like 10 years younger than me Mr Pow you are extremely old school! first VB.Net and now flat file databases.. See that is what the public sector does to people

It's just when people want to update the text that they see on the department TV screens, I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple when it doesn't need to be hard

There's a PHP webpage with images and stuff on it, a little 'message board' that a teacher can update by updating a text file linked toa shortcut on their desktop. Why teach them how ti log into a Wordpress site blah blah blah, they can write text into notepad no problem

You'd spend more time attempting to sterilise the flat file than you would teaching a user how to use wp or a CMS. Each to their own i guess.

Brett - Yeah it's ok. But as it's a 3rd-party editor you need to give FTP access to your site, it's about the the only downside to it.
pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, you should try teaching teachers to do ANYTHING

Had one in today angry because his laptop wouldn't play a DVD - disrupted his WHOLE lesson. I took the DVD out, TURNED IT OVER and put it in. Volia

[Edited on 11-02-2013 by pow]
DaveyLC

12th Feb 13 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Word press is massively straight forward mr Pow if they can opperate a toilet flush they'll be fine.
pow
Premium Member

12th Feb 13 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Judging by the STATE of our Staffroom bog, I doubt some can

[Edited on 12-02-2013 by pow]
Whittie

12th Feb 13 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, that is exactly what i'm after. Will try it out tonight! Thanks a lot.
DaveyLC

12th Feb 13 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you're logged in, you just browse to the desired page (as you would to normally view it) and you will be present with a tool bar at the top with edit etc...
AdZ9

12th Feb 13 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can also use Advanced Custom Fields in Wordpress to restrict what someone can edit, this helps if they want to change things like H1/H2 headers etc on internal pages.

I always use WP, SEO with it is usually better than standard I find as well. Especially if you use SEO by Yoast or something similar that can "score" your pages, this helps clients understand it better as well.

TBH there isn't much you can't do with WP, if you know what you're doing with it
Sam
Premium Member

13th Feb 13 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WordPress.

There is something like 70+ million websites worldwide that use it, and if you can use Word then you can use WordPress IMO.
deano87

13th Feb 13 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got a site running Joomla. It is mental complicated so not ideal for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I've got supposed full WYSIWYG editor but this doesn't always work right so need a bit of HTML knowledge.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll