corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » TV Aerial install

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TV Aerial install
Russ

User status: Offline
21st Nov 12 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked in my loft, turns out i have an Aerial.

However, none of the wires are connected to anything, what do i need ot purchase (apart from a TV license () to get it working. There are no electric outlets in the loft (don't know if that is important).
Gary
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some tv ariel coax cable and connectors.
Russ

21st Nov 12 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it has all that, is there some sort of distributor you plug it all into (like a router for tv's )
Dom

21st Nov 12 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
it has all that, is there some sort of distributor you plug it all into (like a router for tv's )

If you want to feed multiple outlets/tvs then you'll need an amplifier.
Bart

21st Nov 12 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

If you want to feed multiple outlets/tvs then you'll need an amplifier.

and thus a power socket.
If your gonna get sky, Its not worth the bother
Nismo

21st Nov 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a roll of Coax from Screwfix 25m or 50m, as stated if you want to feed multiple tvs you will need a amp / booster, but you can get probably feed 2 tv's with one ariel.
Russ

21st Nov 12 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Just get a roll of Coax from Screwfix 25m or 50m, as stated if you want to feed multiple tvs you will need a amp / booster, but you can get probably feed 2 tv's with one ariel.
so i just need a booster/amplifier for 5 cables (as that's what is already plumbed in) + the feed from the Aerial and an electrical socket to plug it into? Or a splitter for the two i plan to use until i get that

Not getting sky, too expensive for what i would use it for.

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Russ]

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Russ]
Russ

21st Nov 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Signal-Distribution-Amplifier-digital/dp/B000VEK0MS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1353497276&sr=8-10

would that work then? either of the aerial or off the minidish (guessing that would mean freeview hd if i used the minidish)
Nismo

21st Nov 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats right, you probably have something like this there:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-da222bp-s-f-aerial-amp-with-tetra-filter-2-way/31741

The input for that goes to the aerial, then the outputs go to your TV's using coax.

50m coax £14.25
http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-27600f50-s-high-quality-coaxial-cable-black-rg6-50m/72537

you might not have power in your attic, if you have a spare room just run an extension cord from a socket up the wall in some trunking, drill through the ceiling into the attic and plug the amp in.

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Nismo]
Nismo

21st Nov 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Signal-Distribution-Amplifier-digital/dp/B000VEK0MS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1353497276&sr=8-10

would that work then? either of the aerial or off the minidish (guessing that would mean freeview hd if i used the minidish)

Should work off the Aerial not sure about the dish, you won't need the dish for just normal free view HD.
Dom

21st Nov 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick the amp where ever is suitable, doesn't necessarily need to be in the attic. And use f-connectors where ever possible, especially on the amp, as it makes life a lot easier.
Russ

21st Nov 12 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will do Dom.

thanks for the help men.
Dom

21st Nov 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Minidish = Freesat or Sky etc / Aerial = Freeview

If you're planning to feed a sat signal around the house then personally i'd go the Quattro LNB (different to a single/twin/quad/octo LNB) and a decent multiswitch distribution amp route. Screwfix does Labgear amps that are ok otherwise have a look out for Triax.
Note that sat multiswitch amps tend to have 5 inputs - 4 sat inputs (from the Quattro LNB - HH, VH, HL, VL) and 1 UHF/Terrestrial input (if you need DAB/FM as well then you need a combiner that sits in front of the UHF input).

Useful sites - http://www.aerialsandtv.com and http://www.satellitesuperstore.com

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Dom]

New Poll