corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Will a hydraulic handbrake pass MOT?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Will a hydraulic handbrake pass MOT?
jrdn7

User status: Offline
10th Aug 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Question for a mate. He's building a sort of track day rally car combination thing & is planning on fitting a hydraulic handbrake for the rally part. Anyone know will this pass MOT?
Robin
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No.

You need a mechanical parking brake.
jrdn7

10th Aug 12 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
No.

So it won't make a difference if the hydraulic handbrake has a locking mechanism?
HarleyMK

10th Aug 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates got round this in his drift car by having both hydro and cable hand brakes
jrdn7

10th Aug 12 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by HarleyMK
My mates got round this in his drift car by having both hydro and cable hand brakes

Good shout mate, I'll let him know about that idea! Considering putting one in my own car now! just a shame they're so dear.
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know a guy that had a half cable going in the chassis and not actualy going to the rear wheels but from in the car it looked like that cable was tightening
fazza

10th Aug 12 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How would that work when they tested his parking brake?
Robin
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
quote:
No.

So it won't make a difference if the hydraulic handbrake has a locking mechanism?

No, the whole idea behind the rule is that it's less likely for a cable to snap when the handbrake is on than it is for there to be a small fluid leak which over time allows the brake to release.
jrdn7

10th Aug 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
quote:
No.

No, the whole idea behind the rule is that it's less likely for a cable to snap when the handbrake is on than it is for there to be a small fluid leak which over time allows the brake to release.

Fair point mate, cheers. I know what you mean now, one of the top seeds in my local rally started to roll away from the start ramp cause there was a problem with the brake lines. Driver near shat himself when he realised his £250k Subaru was rolling away!
john_c20xe

14th Aug 12 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant have a fake handbrake that the cable doesnt attach to nothing, the mot tester will pull it on the brake rolers and it obviously wont lock the rear wheels
gazza808

14th Aug 12 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weirdly my mates one passes.
He has a pin he inserts which locks the lever,
Dont know id it should pass but the tester usually agrees its a mechanical way of locking it.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Aug 12 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hydraulic parking brakes as a sole means of operation are not acceptable on vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1968. However, they may be used to assist the application or release of a mechanical brake.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s03000101.htm
john_c20xe

15th Aug 12 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the trouble with all these chinnese quads needing an mot now, they need a mechanical parking brake, not just a lock on the hydraulic lever
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

15th Aug 12 at 07:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by HarleyMK

Then disconnect the cable after MOT.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Steve
Premium Member

15th Aug 12 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Weirdly my mates one passes.
He has a pin he inserts which locks the lever,
Dont know id it should pass but the tester usually agrees its a mechanical way of locking it.

No shouldnt pass, mot tester isnt up to much if he doesnt understand what requirements define a mechanical handbrake, and also understanding why the MOT rule is there. This is one MOT rule that i do agree with, its dangerous.

Requiring a liquid to hold its pressure for long periods of time not even under assistance, dicey at best.

[Edited on 15-08-2012 by Steve]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Will a hydraulic handbrake pass MOT? 24 database queries in 0.0152040 seconds