corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » massive wobble under braking..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author massive wobble under braking..
vince93

User status: Offline
15th Jul 12 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just been out for a meal with the missus and on the way home coming down the dual carriage way i had to put the anchors on a bit harder then usual, and it felt like the whole car was going to fall apart!

my 1st thought was warped brake discs but there nearly new (less then 100miles)

would it have anything to do with the top mounts?? as ive been told i need theem changed?

ive been told that the top mounts shouldnt make a massive difference- but trust me.. i was touching cloth it was so scary?

PLEASE HELP!
John G

15th Jul 12 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slow down
vince93

15th Jul 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was goin under 50..
Ben G

15th Jul 12 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has it done it before? if not, it may just be bad road camber or a really bumpy road.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you haven't bedded them in properly, pad material deposit can happen at any point. No such thing as warped discs
vince93

15th Jul 12 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
No such thing as warped discs

ive had them before- fell off the axle stand and warped the disk

but no it has happened before, just not as bad
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol yeah dropping the car on them may warp them but otherwise no such thing its a myth the vibration is caused by pad deposits bring burnt into the surface of the disc. Sitting at junctions with the footbrake on with hot brakes is a cause, as is bad bedding in
bigron1988

15th Jul 12 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Sounds like you haven't bedded them in properly, pad material deposit can happen at any point. No such thing as warped discs

That's funny as I had warped disks the other week , put them on a lathe and you could see it , so had to have them machined down , another Internet fact fail steve
sand-eel

15th Jul 12 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive up to 40mph and put the brakes on (medium force) do this a few times then go up to about 60-70 and slam on the brakes, this usually sorts the burnt on deposits.
vince93

15th Jul 12 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Drive up to 40mph and put the brakes on (medium force) do this a few times then go up to about 60-70 and slam on the brakes, this usually sorts the burnt on deposits.

Cheers mate, ill try this tomorrow and get back to you- fingers crossed it sorts it
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jul 12 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
quote:

That's funny as I had warped disks the other week , put them on a lathe and you could see it , so had to have them machined down , another Internet fact fail steve

Probably still pad deposits, as you can't actually see it as pad deposits. Gives off the same symptoms as something thats warped.

Steve
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
quote:

Internet huh?

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths
dragon2309

15th Jul 12 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no such things as warped discs? Lmao, yeh ok.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad you agree, better than rolling in here without a first clue with a cocky retort then looking an arse

[Edited on 15-07-2012 by Steve]
Brederin

15th Jul 12 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May sound silly but make sure you run spigot rings, had a mate that had wobble and next minute he had a massive crash, other than that it's probably warped discs
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jul 12 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the time cast iron is even close enough to warp, it will more than likely be at melting point. No chance of getting them close to that temperature in a car either. And even if you do, other things will have let go long before it.

Cast iron is also brittle, so it will probably shatter 1st if you were to try and bend it.
davegreen
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 06:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is posible to distort brake discs! usuall on old or cheap discs and in bad wet weather, discs get very hot and when driving in wet weather the sudden hot cold cycles can cause the vent fins between the braking surfaces to crack causing the disc to warp. some discs can even be warped during manufacture but this is very rare and usuall because of poor machining so not realy warped but off center. this sometimes doesnt show up till the first time you brake hard. i would guess you have some assembly issue or as previously posted pad deposists. could even be worn ball joints, bushes, ect.

New Poll