corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B Rear Beam Change.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B Rear Beam Change.
johnhara1

User status: Offline
27th Feb 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Corsa B 5 Door and the rear beam is rotton. Rest of the car is fine, but beam is terrible. Rear wheel leans in and the beam has holes in the strengthening plate

Now i can get a beam for £35 and they even pull it off for me so that's sorted.

I have a couple questions.

1/ 3 Door and 5 Door share the same beam don't they? I'm 99% sure they do but would like it to be confirmed. Infacti'm pretty sure a Corsa C beam also fits.

2/ Any tips on removal as i've not done it before but i'm more than capable of doing it.

Thanks
alan-g-w

27th Feb 12 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup 5 door one will fit, pretty sure I've got one on mine from when I changed it. 35quids a good price for them to be stripping it!

Just jack the car up using the beam and put an axle stand on either side on the pads next to where the beam bolts on. as long as the beam hangs with the wheels off you're ready to go. Undo the brake lines (putting a plastic bag under the brake fluid reservoir lid before this helps reduce fluid loss), undo the handbrake cable at the join about halfway up the car in the 'transmission tunnel' and pull the loose end attached to the beam through. Undo both shockers being careful you're not under the beam when you knock the last bolt out! Either that or put upwards pressure on the beam with the jack while still on the stands, just using enough pressure to lift the beam and not the car. This'll make the bolts much easier to take out. Also watch for your springs making a break for it

Undo the two bolts that hold the beam itself on, they'll be clear to see and get to. Take the springs out then using the jack take the weight of the beam and undo the nuts on the bolts. Use a punch to knock the bolts out and balance the beam on the jack, knock the other side out, lower the jack and you've just removed your rear beam, handbrake cable rear section and hubs complete. If you've got a bare beam it's simply a case of swapping everything over from old to new, then refitting is exactly the opposite only you need to bleed your brakes obviously. Only thing worth noting is that the hubs are mounted on an eccentric pcd so only go on one way
corsadonk
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like he said.
johnhara1

28th Feb 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent stuff Alan, much appreciated
alan-g-w

28th Feb 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brand new mate, let us know if you run into any probs
johnhara1

28th Feb 12 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just been under neath one at the scrap yard, before they cut ot off for me.

It doesn't look hard at all. I'll have it done tomorrow.
alan-g-w

28th Feb 12 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye it's one of the easier jobs. only real nail biting moment is checking to see if the brake nipples/ pipes are seized
johnhara1

29th Feb 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to replace all the lines anyway so they'll just get cut off and a socket over the top if they don't budge with the brake pipe spanner

alan-g-w

29th Feb 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol that's the ideal situation, I ended up snapping both bleed nipples due to them being scrpyard seized and had to bleed the drums with the pipes!

[Edited on 29-02-2012 by alan-g-w]
johnhara1

29th Feb 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the beam here, wire brushed it all and will paint it tomorrow then leave it while i remove the rotton one.

I've removed my stub axles and drums etc so my good brake assembly will be getting transfered onto the new beam. I shouldn't have any seized nipple problems.

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan. Thanks again for your advice.
alan-g-w

1st Mar 12 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound mate, let us know how you get on
johnhara1

2nd Mar 12 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All done, not one seized bolt, everything came off and went back on without a hiccup.

Replaced rear lines, painted beam white and drums back as i was bored.

I'll post a pic of the old beam in its sorry state. I can't belive the guy drove it to my house like this!
alan-g-w

3rd Mar 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shit mate

New Poll