corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » laptop opinions please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author laptop opinions please
LeeM

User status: Offline
27th Jan 12 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was gonna get a macbook pro, but using solidworks id have to dual boot vindows 7 so seems silly to pay the extra mainly for aesthetics seeing as im not gonna be using osx much.

foudn this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-n55sf-15-6-laptop-11884682-pdt.html
blu ray reader and writer, more ram, more hdd, better graphics, bluetooth, hdmi and vga (ill use a second monitor).

is the macbook worth £450 more in anyway? (looking at the 2.2 15" which is £1250 with discount)

and anything better out there for less than a grand? been looking for ages for the right laptop
Sam
Premium Member

27th Jan 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you *have* to use Windows 7 then there isn't much point getting a MacBook.
LeeM

27th Jan 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know yeah, i still thought it would be a good spec when running windows but then find things liek that asus.
2 things on my mind, the asus wont be made as well and when i come to upgrade in 12-24 months the asus wont be worth 75%+ of what i pay for it like the mbp would be
Sam
Premium Member

27th Jan 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes any Apple computer depreciates less than its PC counterpart, but unless there is a Mac version of SolidWorks I'd just go for a Windows laptop that has the required specs.

You said yourself you won't be using OS X much, so it's pointless paying more for a MBP just for the sake of it?
ed

27th Jan 12 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's an OSX version of Autocad. Saying that, a laptop that complies to the SolidWorks system requirements ain't cheap either!
LeeM

27th Jan 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will solidworks not still run if its got a graphics card thats not specifically listed? just not at optimum performance?
ed

27th Jan 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will run on a nVidia GeForce, but you wont get Realview graphics unless you've got a Quadro. Good news is, some GeForce's use the same chipsets as Quadros so you can use a tool to trick your GPU into thinking it's a Quadro (if you like Realview). Think the main things you need in reality are an x64 CPU and 4GB RAM min.
ed

27th Jan 12 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, it will run on a powerful enough ATI GPU just fine too.

New Poll