corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buy to let investors and landlords?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buy to let investors and landlords?
ste_p23

User status: Offline
28th Nov 11 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just looking for some info to see if you have noticed any trends with your returns on investments or if you have noticed any change in your letting time scales. The reason im asking is that i have just bought a house ( non buy to let with a very small mortgage) and i currently have some money invested which i should see a nice return on so im looking to purchase a property around the 50-80k mark as a long term buy to let investment so any help would be great as the current market seems to be steadily growing for buy to let

[Edited on 28-11-2011 by ste_p23]
Conway563

29th Nov 11 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely it depends on the area?
Where I live stuff generally returns around 6% p/a and rents very quickly
5 minutes up the road there are houses that have been available for 6 months plus and are likely to return only 2-3%
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 11 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rental income on the two flats is £715.00 a calendar month combined for a property value of £120,000.

In my area, I'd absoloutly recommend buying townhouses which have been split into flats. Our's is 3 story, 2 1 bed sizeable flats. The mortgage is essentially covered by the rental of one flat, the income from the second pays running costs, capital payments or paying us back for the intitial investment made (boilers, windows etc etc). The other benefit of the two flats in one property is that as said, the flats return £715.00 or thereabouts, whereas as a single property it would only return £450(ish)
jrsteeve

29th Nov 11 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be looking to achieve at least 6-7% return for it to be viable, though 10%+ can also be done if you buy well. If you know the areas well you can't go too far wrong, though the real money is in turning them round quickly. Only problem with turning them round is finding the right mortgage product to facilitate it, most have tie ins, penalties etc.
baza31

18th Dec 11 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how i see it if thier rent covers expenses then why worry about 7% profit? they stay there till the money owed is paid and every penny less tax is profit and you own a house someone else has paid for
ste_p23

19th Dec 11 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
how i see it if thier rent covers expenses then why worry about 7% profit? they stay there till the money owed is paid and every penny less tax is profit and you own a house someone else has paid for

It depends on what kind of investor you are tbh, for somneone who is startting out in the game im sure they would be happy at a 4-5% yield, However a more serious investor will aim for around 5-8% as a minimum this is so the money they use can be re-invested increasing a portfolio size it all just depends on the each individual view
baza31

22nd Dec 11 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ste_p23
quote:
Originally posted by baza31

It depends on what kind of investor you are tbh, for somneone who is startting out in the game im sure they would be happy at a 4-5% yield, However a more serious investor will aim for around 5-8% as a minimum this is so the money they use can be re-invested increasing a portfolio size it all just depends on the each individual view

1st time buyer or not looking to try make 5% or 8% or whatever IMO is the wrong way to go about it. Houses are long term investments fact, they can't be used for quick money inless sold. It's ok saying add a percentage on but if your after money after paying your mortgage then increase length of mortgage to bring payments down. I have two houses I rent off and every penny goes to paying the money I owe off . I keep a float incase anything goes wrong but I find keeping the prices down and realistic means you keep your tenant from looking for a better deal. I have a friend who rents similar house locally but for 90 more a month, doesn't sound much but his keeps becoming empty and mine are full . Am no property mogul but it's what's worked for me
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Dec 11 at 07:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on your area Baza. We have a waiting list on our flats. Last week we found out the lass renting the main upstairs flat at £90p.w. was moving out at the end of her 6month tenancy at the end of Dec. we got her text at 6am, by 10.30 we had 4 people interested and by lunchtime we had a deposit down by the new couple moving in. We've increased the rent on that flat by £5 a week now as two people are moving in. By comparison, Jim in the downstairs flat has paid the same £70 per week since he moved in 4 years ago. We look after the tenants in other ways-free broadband and water rates

[Edited on 23-12-2011 by LiVe LeE]

New Poll