corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ASS OUT SUB BOX ???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ASS OUT SUB BOX ???
DIGGIDY

User status: Offline
   17th Apr 03 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone give me an answer as to how sub boxs with the ass end of the sub on display works?

got of pair of infinity perfect 10's which i want to show off with there ass's hanging out...

any info or considerations welcome...
SteveW

17th Apr 03 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went into my local ICE shop and asked about this the otehr week. didnt quite get what they were going on about.

BUT heres the general idea::

You have to maake the box's slightly smaller than the normal box's. This is becuase the cone of the sub will be altering the shape of the box. So it will add to the cubic fett of the box. (if ya get me???)

This will sound wicked in the car, BUT when the boot is open it wont sound as loud as "normal" box's.

The best person to answer this would be corb, but seeing as he aint on now. you got me. (the next best thing )

Steve.
Trotty

17th Apr 03 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, Steve's right. The box dimensions have to be altered to allow for the lack of magnet inside the box, hence a smaller enclosure
DIGGIDY

17th Apr 03 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys i'm starting to see how this works, but....

technical how do they work? as with normal subs the air/wave is pushed out by the cone... if they are firing into an enclosure then how do they generate a useable wave? i know you get a opposite wave from the back of the cone, but this would be small in comparison to a wave firing from the front of the cone...? all a bit confused me tinks?

i want to keep a good sound with a reduced amount of weight and size i.e. small sub enclosure... but also like the look of the ass out idea...

what degree of performace and quility will i lose?
TOMAS

17th Apr 03 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well they work exactly the same as 'normal' sealed boxes. All a sub technically is, is a diaphram moving air driven by a motor, its just flipped around that way. They are all correct in saying that the box will act asthough its bigger due to the loss of displacement of the motor structure/frame etc. Sometimes people alter the phasing when they flip subs but to be honest their is no need but just try it anyway to see if it gives an improvement. Personally i do think it looks good but when i did it to my Type R's i found it very difficult to get a good air-tight seal and also gome some slight motor noise at full wack, they just didnt seem to hit as hard as the 'normal' way. You may not even need to alter the box you have, it will increase the volume inside but it may still be withing the manufactures recomended volume tollerances. Just try it out and let us know. Another BIG tip is to use some things called T-Nuts to bolt subs into enclosures, you can do them up REAL tight without the worry of stripping threads in MDF. They cost mere pennies and if you are playing around a lot with box's then they are very handy. Good luck..
DIGGIDY

17th Apr 03 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BIG UP TOMAS...

just the info i was looking for.

corb

17th Apr 03 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u want one ass out and one normal, you'll need to swap pos and neg round on one and the 'normal' one will need some polyfill in the box to make it 'seem' larger.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ASS OUT SUB BOX ??? 24 database queries in 0.0114000 seconds