corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Cooker switch

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cooker switch
Terry12

User status: Offline
12th Aug 11 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the middle of fitting my mums new kitchen and need advice on a cooker switch.
It's not for the cooker I need it, Basically the sockets in the kitchen are in crap places so the washer and drier have to run off an extension lead.

I was hoping to use a cooker switch and bury the extension into the wall behind the tiles and wire it into a cooker switch. Making the extension hidden and switchable by the cooker switch.
Is this possible?
John

12th Aug 11 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are hiding the cable in the wall why not just run a switched and fused spur to a couple of sockets beside the washer and drier?
Terry12

12th Aug 11 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I suppose that's another alternative. I just wanted the switch for the appliances easily accessible.
I'll just stick a double socket behind the appliances and spur from the closest socket.
Rob_Quads

12th Aug 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your putting in new plugs/sockets into the kitchen (annoyingly IMO) you either need to notify the council or get someone in to do it

If she might be selling any time soon it could cause problems.
Terry12

12th Aug 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

House won't be sold for a long time

I can understand having to notify if doing anything big, But adding a spur to the ring is hardly serious stuff is it?
Eddx14xe

12th Aug 11 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your adding/changing stuff they need to be notified.

If your just changing like for like e.g replacing a white plastic light switch with a decorative one, then you dont need to tell them.

[Edited on 12-08-2011 by Eddx14xe]
AndyKent

12th Aug 11 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely put in a switched spur rather than a cooker socket. That said, if you plan to bury an extension lead into a wall perhaps getting someone in to do the electrics would be a better idea.....
Terry12

12th Aug 11 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My cousin is an electrician so it wouldn't be an issue to get him to do it. Just need to find out is a cooker switch could be used. I wouldn't have sunk the extension lead.

I should have explained better. I wanted to spur from the original double socket, run the cable behind the tiles and have a single socket underneath the worktop and run the extension lead into this. I wanted to do it this way to cut down on the chasing out as I have to do it by hammer and bolster.

The reason for the cooker switch is that I wanted to be able to have an easy way of turning the socket underneath the work top on and off.

[Edited on 12-08-2011 by Terry12]
AndyKent

12th Aug 11 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I see, that makes much more sense

Still use a switched spur to control the socket underneath. Having two cooker switches in the same kitchen could be seen as dangerous (ie. Someone thinks they've isolated the power when they haven't)
Terry12

12th Aug 11 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Oh I see, that makes much more sense

Still use a switched spur to control the socket underneath. Having two cooker switches in the same kitchen could be seen as dangerous (ie. Someone thinks they've isolated the power when they haven't)

That's true andy, I'll channel out further along and make the spur a double switch socket and put it where both appliances can plug directly into it instead of using an extension.

Surprisingly the kitchen doesn't have a cooker switch yet as it's not had a rewire in about 15 years or more.
The old cooker was gas but were installing a gas hob and electric oven so will need to fit a cooker switch. As you say, 2 cooker switches could be confusing to someone.

Cheers
Gary
Premium Member

12th Aug 11 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would still put a fused spur inline of the new socket, regs say you don't have to but it's better to be safe, it's how ive always done it.

Oh and balls to telling the council, not like they can tell.
Terry12

12th Aug 11 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds a little overkill there Gary. I'll see if I can be arsed adding the fused spur when it comes to doing the job.

And screw the Council
harrisp

12th Aug 11 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
I wanted to do it this way to cut down on the chasing out as I have to do it by hammer and bolster.

[Edited on 12-08-2011 by Terry12]

For chasing out use an angle grinder to cut a channel then chisel out inbetween the cuts, chasing out it a piece of piss then.
Terry12

12th Aug 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We ended up chasing out with a blunt chisel

New Poll