corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Putting offers on houses

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Putting offers on houses
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Apr 11 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We made an offer on a house on Wednesday, the next day we had a letter from the estate agent confirming said offer.

It's now Monday morning and we've still not heard back as to whether the vendors have accepted the offer or not.

Should we chase up the estate agents, or would that make us look too desperate to want to buy the house (i.e. they go back to the vendors and tell them we are desperate and will probably offer more money)?

It's been some years since I was involved in buying a house so I can't remember what the status quo is.

[Edited on 11-04-2011 by Sam]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Apr 11 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chase, i made an offer and chased the same day. Your just making sure your offer gets in there before anyone else but to be fair if its a low offer on the asking price the estate agent may not bother or have it top of priorities as he knows they will decline it.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

11th Apr 11 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just say your looking at another house, and need to know what's happening with your offer as to wether you go ahead with the other or not!

Our vendor fannied about for almost two weeks, I rang estate agent said they had till 1pm the following day (24hrs) to accept, decline our offer or I'll withdraw it!

12:51 they accepted!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Rob_Quads

11th Apr 11 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would chase it up. I would typically expect a response within 24h unless you were putting in a really low bid and then they might sit on it and see as it may depend on whether they can still get what they want etc.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Apr 11 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chasing it on it's own does not show desperation. Turning up telling them you really love it and need to have it will do you less favours than that.

Every offer expects an answer, even if it's a cheeky one and the answer is no.

[Edited on 11-04-2011 by Ian]
Sam
Premium Member

11th Apr 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well we've offered about £9k less than the asking price - purely because it needs a lot of modernising and new electrics.

House is being sold by a solicitors as I think it was owned by an old person that passed away (put it this way - the house is full of furniture, breakfast cereal out on the dining room table, made up bed, calendar is on February 2011)...

My other half rang the estate agents up, they told her if they've not heard back by 4pm they are going to contact the vendors/solicitors to chase them.

Apparently there has been a "lot of interest" and we might get a "no" - but no-one else has actually made an offer on the house...
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Apr 11 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All fairly standard estate agent waffle then.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Apr 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell me about it Ian. I remember the crap I had to go through the first time round. Never easy.
Aaron

11th Apr 11 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It took took weeks for me to get the reply on my offer

he said yes though
Ben G

11th Apr 11 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh how many times i've heard the ''we've had lots of interest'' line

they do love that one.
Chris
Premium Member

11th Apr 11 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i put an offer in on mine wasnt accepted so next month i put in another offer 10% less, in the end paid 22% less than 1st offer.

If there is no chain with you then you are more likely to get vs a higher offer with a chain.

If its not a personal sale they will just want pronto cash, so the rellys can buy some new cars / have a fat holiday.

Its only not for sale when the STC notice is up.

[Edited on 11-04-2011 by Chris]
Kathryn W

12th Apr 11 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We put our offer in on a Saturday afternoon quite early on... I then rang on the Monday lunch time to chase and to be told that the offer had been accepted (on Saturday), nothing wrong with chasing. You just need to know where you stand
Sam
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no chain with us as we are just renting only.

When my other half came home from work yesterday she told me the estate agent phoned her to say that they tried to contact the vendor's solicitors but they were closed yesterday.
Nismo

12th Apr 11 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i was putting offers in on ours i was having an answer within an hour, theres no reason for them to take time unless they cant get hold of the seller, just say you have other houses to make offers on.
Rob_Quads

12th Apr 11 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A solicitor closed on a week day. Hmm I highly doubt that.....unless they realised at the end of the day they had forgotton to and so tried rining after 5 (normal COB for solicitors)
Sam
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That may well be true. This particular estate agents are quite shit TBH.

When we had a viewing of the house, someone else was there also to view the house at the same time (the estate agent never told us anyone else was going to he shown around at the same time).

He then said he had no information about the house at all, didn't have keys for certain things so was opening up all sorts of random draws and cupboards, in short it was a very unprofessional image they were portraying.
daymoon
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Estate Agents are bullshiters.
When my parents were buying a house, my dad asked how many viewing it had, while he was looking at estate agents screen. Got an answer of 3.

Then estate agent opened a page that showed "all" viewing for the house. showed 0...
Sam
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the vendors said no

Estate agent still kept spinning the "had lots of interest and viewings" but ours is still the only firm offer...
Colin

12th Apr 11 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are probably just holding off till more offers come in if theres been a volume of interest!?
Sam
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably. But it ain't worth the asking price TBH so we're just going to leave it and find something better.
Aaron

13th Apr 11 at 06:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now offer them £1000 less, and inform them that you offer will be going down week by week until they sell it some to someone else, or say yes to you.
Rob_Quads

13th Apr 11 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all depends on what type of seller they are. A lot of the houses on the market at the moment are people who fancy moving up the chain but don't need to. As a result there is a price they want/need for thier house and if they don't get it they will just stay put.

Someone tried the whole - the offer is worth 1k less next week on us when we were selling my wifes house. We told then where to go and the agent to reject all offers automatically from them. Just as we were about to complete they came back with a higher than the original offer as they realised it was the best out there. The estate agent took great pleasure in telling them it was about to complete.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd imagine they want a fairly quick sale as it's just being sold as part of someone's estate so the relatives will want the cash ASAP.

We're going to keep looking at other houses, but if they change their minds and come back to us we're just going to offer them less than our original offer just to piss them off!

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by Sam]

New Poll