corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Vegetable Patches

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vegetable Patches
Kathryn W

User status: Offline
20th Mar 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do any of you grow your own stuff?

We're getting our garden done at the moment and im wanting to build myself a little raised patch... so its away from the garden etc... So it'll be like a big wooden box.

Do you guys have any info on making them, or experience?

What do you grow?
Chris
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Making a raised planter is quite easy, just need some lengths of decking.

Two high with one on top as a return to finish off.

When buying the planks they come is lengths 2400,3600 or 4800.

So sizes could be 1200x2400 buy cutting the lengths, i would get a biscuit jointer the joint the boards together, then on the to fit 45 degree supports so when the kids stand on it doesnt snap the top off.

Is an example of mine.

Simon

20th Mar 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much too them really in terms of construction, brick or timber being easiest. Railway sleepers do a good job. Making them over 2ft tall means you wont have problems with insects such as carrot flies.

I've got an allotment, but the only raised beds I have are some recycled car tyres which I've planted up with garlic and blueberry bushes
mattk

20th Mar 11 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im using a raised bed this year, will have more sucsess hopefully this year, mine is about 10ft by 7ft and took 19 grow bags to fill lol
Kathryn W

20th Mar 11 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it right to start planting things about now?
Chris
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still possible frosts to early May, so you need to make sure the stuff is hardy or protected from frost.
Simon

20th Mar 11 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah as Chris says, some things will be ok, others its best to wait couple more weeks or get some covers
mattk

21st Mar 11 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have my lettuce in now, Ive risked it, it was really clear at 5am this morning and not frosty, I put them in on friday will be ok I reckon, got raddish, onions and spuds to go in maybe in a fortnight
sc0ott

21st Mar 11 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some pepper plants. Peppers taste great apart from the green ones.
Simon

21st Mar 11 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but pepper plants need greenhouses ideally
Ste
Premium Member

22nd Mar 11 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't always shy away from planting stuff before the frost has gone. Many plants need a dose of cold to kick start the germination process. I'm making my raised bed from decking boards. 2.4metre lengths are on offer in Widnes B&Q right now for £2.40 each. I also got a tub of water proofer for the wood to protect it a bit more. I'll be growing sweet corn, carrots, parsnips, spinach, broccoli, loads of herbs and toms and peppers in a mini green house.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Kathryn W

22nd Mar 11 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Don't always shy away from planting stuff before the frost has gone. Many plants need a dose of cold to kick start the germination process. I'm making my raised bed from decking boards. 2.4metre lengths are on offer in Widnes B&Q right now for £2.40 each. I also got a tub of water proofer for the wood to protect it a bit more. I'll be growing sweet corn, carrots, parsnips, spinach, broccoli, loads of herbs and toms and peppers in a mini green house.

Think i'll go to Widnes tonight and take a look at the decking boards!

Only want something smallish - I was thinking of getting one of them mini green house things to!

Ideally i'd like to grow;

Potatos
Carrots
Onions
Mushrooms
Broccoli
Toms
Peppers
Chilli's
Simon

22nd Mar 11 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good selection, last 3 will benefit from some sort of greenhpouse enclosure. I'm not bothering with potato this year. Take up too much space and are dirt cheap to buy so using the space for other stuff
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last year planted two seed potatoes in a car tyre then put another one on top and earthed up and got about 3kilos off them, not bad if you ask me.
i've just planted garlic and spring onions, going to plant my first early potatoes this week, will also be growing green beans, calabrese brocolli, runner beans, carrots, peppers, cherry toms, cucumbers, chillies. better get propogating!!

New Poll