corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Media Centres, Apple TV - Help needed etc...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Media Centres, Apple TV - Help needed etc...
jamied

User status: Offline
12th Oct 10 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh thats fine my dad uses imac too.weird.. do all files take ages to load?
Nic Barnes

12th Oct 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ones i tried did yes. none of the, pause or fast forward etc at all and if i cancel it to go back to ps3 menu it takes absolutely ages to do anything. annoying as it was mentioned by someone on here as being a good programme so i had high hopes for it.
Dom

12th Oct 10 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
just about to head out so I haven't read everything in the first post but;

XBMC, Acer Revo, Popcorn Hour and WDTV are something to look intoi

WDTV, good shout. A new Apple TV would be my last option to be honest as it's far too tied down. If you need it to be Apple then a Mac Mini with XMBC or Plex is the best option.
noshua

12th Oct 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the media center - Acer Revo, WDTV or Popcorn Hour will do the job properly.

WDTV will be the cheapest but has limited functionality - it'll play probably everything you want it to but you won't get something as nice to browse through - for example XBMC offers this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE (running on the Acer Revo in that link) where as WDTV offers this (with quite a bit of work tbh): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFj69RA60K0

Acer Revo will be the best for the job IMO, they're £200 on eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225754) As you can see in the first youtube link, they're a proper computer but they're tiny. The one I've linked doesn't have Windows packaged with it but if you have a spare copy lying around you can install that on it no problem.

Popcorn hour is an alternative for WDTV but unless you want to store content on HD inside the PCH then there's not really any benefits of using it.

EDIT: An older version of the AppleTV supports XBMC, if I remember correctly they also have a small hard drive inside (60-80GB?) so you could store anything on there if you need. The newest version has been jailbroken but as far as I know XBMC or similar software hasn't been ported to it yet.

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by noshua]
Dom

13th Oct 10 at 01:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
For the media center - Acer Revo, WDTV or Popcorn Hour will do the job properly.

WDTV will be the cheapest but has limited functionality - it'll play probably everything you want it to but you won't get something as nice to browse through - for example XBMC offers this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE (running on the Acer Revo in that link) where as WDTV offers this (with quite a bit of work tbh): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFj69RA60K0

Acer Revo will be the best for the job IMO, they're £200 on eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225754) As you can see in the first youtube link, they're a proper computer but they're tiny. The one I've linked doesn't have Windows packaged with it but if you have a spare copy lying around you can install that on it no problem.

Popcorn hour is an alternative for WDTV but unless you want to store content on HD inside the PCH then there's not really any benefits of using it.

EDIT: An older version of the AppleTV supports XBMC, if I remember correctly they also have a small hard drive inside (60-80GB?) so you could store anything on there if you need. The newest version has been jailbroken but as far as I know XBMC or similar software hasn't been ported to it yet.

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by noshua]

Popcorn Hour's do do streaming so they would happily fit the bill.

If heading down the PC route then i would give Window Media Centre a shout first - it too has a flashy media browser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-IlZR_770 (WMC Media Browser plugin).
Boxee (Windows/OSX/Apple TV) might also be worth looking at as well in terms of software.
noshua

13th Oct 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah - I said unless you want to store content on the HD inside then there's no real benefit of using it - as it costs almost twice as much

XBMC can be installed on a Windows PC too - I'd try WMC first though
Nic Barnes

13th Oct 10 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh id buy apple tv so i can make posts about it to annoy john
noshua

13th Oct 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet another post containing the word JOHN.

Original poster; any ideas what you're going for?
Nismo

13th Oct 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea at the moment, I dont want to really spend much more than £120 really thinking about it, as its just the conservatory / social room / garden area so its not really the lounge as such!

I still like the idea of a Mac Mini with win7 media centre, but then i think well apple tv will just do most of it bar web browsing!
Steve
Premium Member

13th Oct 10 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going madly at you nismo U WEA NT A FICVHGT
ed

14th Oct 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're thinking Mac Mini then take a good look at something like the Acer Revo as the Mini is a bit pricey!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll