corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Voda force 500mb Data limit

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Voda force 500mb Data limit
oceansoul

User status: Offline
9th May 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
I've used 564mb since April 24th on my desire that's Jus browsing, dling apps, bit of YouTube etc
Marc

9th May 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine if they did that in America!!
bubble

9th May 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I've used 564mb since April 24th on my desire that's Jus browsing, dling apps, bit of YouTube etc

u have probably been affected by the IT gremlins. if you u2u me ur number ill tell you exaclty what you have used
Tiesto

9th May 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only good thing about T-Mobile is they give you 3gb limit if you have an Android phone.
Dom

9th May 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble
ok, i completely understand what you are saying.

BUT

in the terms of the contract, since day one of it being 500mb, it has always said we have the right to charge if going over that figure. so nothing has changed, apart from now on it seems we will be charging if people use more than 500mb.

its interesting to point out, that we can deem how many of our customers use what data, so surely, to enforce this, the powers that be will have already calculated how many people will leave us due to this. chances are, that it will be cheaper to loose customers who cost us more, rather than keep them on and for us to lose out.

it will be very interesting to see just where these customers go, when o2 and orange follow suit, and start charging the moment their customers hit their new 500mb hard limits.

if a customer can show that their bill has increased by more than 10% due to being charged for going over, they can cancel their contract. but remember if someone is using 400mb a month, then the next month they use over 500mb and get charged, they cant cancel as historically we can see every last bit of internet usage.

ultimately it comes down to the uk customer. its all want want want. so as a company we have always had a 500mb limit, which we have always said we can reserve the right to charge if someone goes over that figure. so for years, people have become complacent with getting loads and paying nothing. so they should be grateful if they have gone over and not being charged.

consider yourselves lucky that you live in the uk, check the data charges for usa, europe etc. we have it easy.

people will whinge about the cost of fuel, but will pay for it because they need it.

if people want to use loads of data on a mobile phone-pay for it?

nobody is making people listen to the radio 24/7 or to stream things. customers choose to do this.

i have a screenshot here of my phone, 640mb since january the 14th, my facebook, im buddy, ping, are open a
ll day. i use the google maps, a few times tbf. every weekend ill watch clips on youtube. so i am personally averaging roughly 5mb day, and i seem to use my web a LOT. i would expect pay more if was using more. but thats just me i suppose.

Glad someone does

But you're right, Vodafone has always had the right to charge for data usage and it's a bit of a shock to some of your customers but it isn't the main reason why they are complaining. It's mainly because they believe 500mb is far too low of a limit, considering a fair amount of apps are heavy on data usage and it's fairly easy to go over 500mb. It's been mentioned time and time again, that if it was set to 1GB there wouldn't be much of a problem, sure you'd still get a few customer moaning but these would be the big users that Vodafone want to stop.
And it's more a blow when Vodafone have yet to explain why iPhone/Nexus users' get a higher limit? Saying it's because they use a different APN doesn't really say much, surely the iPhone/Nexus still connect to Vodafones backend (so costing them bandwidth like any other smartphone) before hitting the outside world?

Regards to Vodafone calculating this, it just seems to show that yes there is a good 10-15% of customers that really hammer the network and need sorting and yes there is a good percentage that don't use anywhere near 500mb a month, but there is also a fair amount of customers that do go over 500mb (not by huge amounts, 200-300mb) and this is a good way to make some extra cash for doing pretty much nothing
If Vodafone was being reasonable about it all then there wouldn't be a problem about it all, but they aren't, like Orange (dolphin plan is restricted to 500mb hard-limit, their other plans have a 750MB soft/FUP-limit).

It's the 7(a) clause (i think) where it states that if a change is going to increase your monthly tarrif by 10% then you have the right to cancel, which is why a lot of people have been starting to cain their 3G (switching wifi off etc). But i can't see people getting out on this. It'll be 11.2d that'll do the trick though.

quote:

ultimately it comes down to the uk customer. its all want want want. so as a company we have always had a 500mb limit, which we have always said we can reserve the right to charge if someone goes over that figure. so for years, people have become complacent with getting loads and paying nothing. so they should be grateful if they have gone over and not being charged.

Come on, you make it sound like the networks are being hard done by And it's not about want want want, it's mostly down to playing fair and if i'm paying £35 a month for unlimited data, at least give me that or something that is reasonable if you're going to start dishing out hard-limits.

And yes we are lucky that we don't pay to receive calls (i think the yanks do), but data charges tend to be around $15 for unlimited data which isn't too shabby and average calls packages are around the $30/40 mark which is comparable to Europe.
Regarding internet bandwidth though, it's a lot lot cheaper than Europe.

It's only O2/3/T-mobile that seem to have decent FUP packages now and it'll be interesting to see if they follow suit, i can't see it happening but if it does then there is potentionally market for WiFi hotspots.
bubble

9th May 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, as im sure you can appreciate i sit on both sides of the fence, so for me it is difficult to side with any arguement.

regarding the limit, in hindsight could be higher, im sure that if they see massive amounts of loss due to customers going etc, they potentially could change it, hiowever the current loss compared to potential savings may outweigh this.

my believe on the iphones and nexus1 limit being 1gb, is due to the future availability of using a 3g connection for stuff that currently is not permissable, ie itunes downloads and podcasts, and various marketplace applications. however, it is odd that the desire which tbh, is a better looking nexus1 is 500mb.

ultimatley, the inclusion of wi-fi hotspots ran by vodafone in conjunction with bt, will appease the hammering the 3g networks are currently getting, these should be appearing more common as time progresses.

id suggest getting summat written to vodafone, to highlight your thoughts, or if you are an existing customer i can do it on your behalf.
BarnshaW

9th May 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit cheesed off that i have just entered an 18 month contract with Vodafone on the N900 which was advertised as unlimited texts and internet (which i paid an extra fiver a month for) and now its not unlimited......... £35 a month is not really cheap either so you expect quality service from a quality service provider, very annoyed about it.
bubble

9th May 10 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
bit cheesed off that i have just entered an 18 month contract with Vodafone on the N900 which was advertised as unlimited texts and internet (which i paid an extra fiver a month for) and now its not unlimited......... £35 a month is not really cheap either so you expect quality service from a quality service provider, very annoyed about it.

ok, so in the months you have had the n900 have you gone over 500mb? if you havent there isnt an issue.

check your contract and youll see it says 500mb.

if your usage stays the same and you get charged more than 10% a normal bill, you can leave contract.
oceansoul

9th May 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

u have probably been affected by the IT gremlins. if you u2u me ur number ill tell you exaclty what you have used

Im on 3 not Voda
bubble

9th May 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol get ya!
Steve
Premium Member

9th May 10 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
this is because of all the fuckwits tethering like fuck

asians aswell i bet
Hammer

9th May 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW

ok, so in the months you have had the n900 have you gone over 500mb? if you havent there isnt an issue.

check your contract and youll see it says 500mb.

if your usage stays the same and you get charged more than 10% a normal bill, you can leave contract.

I don't even use the net that much and there has been months I've downloaded way more than 500meg. First month for example when you want to try all the new apps from the app manager.
AndyKent

9th May 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difficult one this. I use mobile broadband at home with a 5GB/month allowance and its not all that difficult to get through that amount. That works out to be about 170mb a day.

Might sound a reasonable amount, but by the time you've checked your emails half a dozen times, been on Youtube and watched a 5 minute video, done a bit of searching here and there I'm already up to 100mb used. Granted thats on a laptop, but even so to only give users 15mb a day is pretty tight. I use up about 15mb in 20 minutes of solid casual browsing on my laptop.

Based off that spending only 30-40 minutes a day browsing sites like CS, news/sports/tech sites plus emails and you'll have used it up! Never mind if you want youtube videos.

I agree they should be able to cap users, but it seems pretty tight to go for such a low cap.
LeeM

9th May 10 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a bit shitty
bubble

11th May 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/forum-53/announcement-137-mobile-internet-charging
LeeM

11th May 10 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so its not an enforced limit then?
John

11th May 10 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far over that 500mb is a reasonabe amount though.

What if you download 1gb every month, which isn't that much these days, I take it you'd be charged.
Dom

11th May 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read it that they'll let it slide if you go over the 500mb once in a while. If you repeatedly go over 500mb every month and you ignore their warning texts then they'll charge you £5 (or 50p a day for 25MB/50p for an additional 10MB if you don't have a data plan) for every 500mb block.

Is there anymore info on this flexi data plan bubble?
bubble

11th May 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what we are being told, it will go to 1gb

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll