corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesels worth a bash??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diesels worth a bash??
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Mar 10 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My comparison was made as the engine capacity is the same. I was just illustrating the point that the diesel of the same size has more power, more torque, better fuel economy and is quicker than it's direct diesel counterpart.

Your example is like comparing a 1.5DCi Clio to a 182.
AndyKent

13th Mar 10 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair I wouldn't have expected the 330i to be cheaper than the 320d so your right on that point.

I'm thinking of comparing price to price, not capacity. For instance my Golf 1.9 was the same price pretty much as a 1.6 petrol. The 1.6 is awful to drive compared to the diesel despite having 10bhp more, plus my diesel held its resale value making it better value anyway.
antnee

13th Mar 10 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the Mk4 Ibizas, the FR and Cupra where both available with the 1.9tdi or 1.8T engines, diesel outsold the petrol by miles, doesn't that suggest something?
tom-gardiner

13th Mar 10 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mk4 golf gt tdi
Graham88

14th Mar 10 at 03:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So people who own Diesels will argue Diesels are better, Petrol owners will argue Petrol is better, end of thread.
deano87

14th Mar 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I own a petrol and think diesel is better

But seriously, diesel petrol comparisons only work when comparing the same car & engine capacity.

I think Robin is right on the money with his comparison. And dad's 120d with 180ps is an excellent drive, it revs as well.

But 46mpg from a 2litre 3 series. What ever.
innes16v

16th Mar 10 at 02:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo... derv engines r better than petrol engines, but id rather a petrol, iam young and i luv noise, bouncin on the limiter and the smell off petrol haha, yes u may think iam a fool but dervs r not as fun!
ed

16th Mar 10 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I'm driving my car, I don't think I can even hear the engine
pow
Premium Member

16th Mar 10 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrols do prove for a smoother drive, full stop and have a better noise.

Diesel win for everyday driving for me, I'd love a petrol weekend car though
DaveyLC

16th Mar 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modern common rail diesels are bloody impressive.. Just an arse when they go wrong!

My 1.5dci is miles better than a petrol equivilent IMHO.. The 1.4 petrol would feel completely gutless, even the 1.6 petrol feels slow by comparisson.

With a derv you trade off peak power for torque and economy.. Lets be honest they arent particularly rewarding to drive but if you do lots of miles well worth it.
shibby

16th Mar 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from my experience, newer diesels tend to be quick in the "real world" i.e not 0-60 but overtaking and rolling acceleration, with good economy. they are more expensive to buy usually than a petrol but cheaper to run.

depends what you want from a car, as an all rounder a newer diesel like golf gt tdi would be a good car.

Also worth pointing out the diesels have a turbo and some of thier petrol counterparts do not. not really much point to me saying that haha
ed

16th Mar 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the turbo makes re-mapping them really effective when you get bored
shibby

16th Mar 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
But the turbo makes re-mapping them really effective when you get bored

good point!!

my mate used to have a stnadard fabia vrs, and that was very impressive. very gutsy motor and hardly used any fuel
antnee

16th Mar 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
So people who own Diesels will argue Diesels are better, Petrol owners will argue Petrol is better, end of thread.

People who own/haved owned a diesel and know what they are like are saying they are good, people who have no experience of tdi lumps are saying they are rubbish.

I loved the noise my old ibiza made (which I think is one of the best noises a n/a 4pot can make) but love the torque and ease of use with the diesel more, economy is a bonus
A2H GO

16th Mar 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my Astra 1.9 CDT, boxed to 200bhp/320lb/ft. Owners say they will keep with an Astra VXR 50mph+ however i am still optimistic.

Granted i have never driven/been in an Astra VXR but i would be dissapointed if it wasnt any faster than my diesel. Yes you get a squashed into your seat for a split second as the torque/turbo kick in but its soon all over and you need to change gear.

If i had the money i would rather the petrol equivilent for the power delivery however the diesel is a good compromise of power/overall cost.

big eck

16th Mar 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I own both so where does that leave me
Graham88

16th Mar 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Undecided

I own a Diesel van so a bit different to a car as I'm sure even a Diesel car is more fun that a Berlingo van. Still don't think Diesels are as good on fuel as people make them out to be, but that's just my opinion.
big eck

16th Mar 10 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get 135mls to a tenner out of my fiesta diesel which is pretty decent compared to my evo
Graham88

16th Mar 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really? To be fair that's damn impressive, I get just over that to £55 in my car
John

16th Mar 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
I love my Astra 1.9 CDT, boxed to 200bhp/320lb/ft. Owners say they will keep with an Astra VXR 50mph+ however i am still optimistic.

Granted i have never driven/been in an Astra VXR but i would be dissapointed if it wasnt any faster than my diesel. Yes you get a squashed into your seat for a split second as the torque/turbo kick in but its soon all over and you need to change gear.

I feel exactly the same about mine, I get double the mpg of the vxr though and most of the speed.
big eck

16th Mar 10 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Really? To be fair that's damn impressive, I get just over that to £55 in my car

Christ, you must still be in the honeymoon phase then

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesels worth a bash?? 23 database queries in 0.0135560 seconds