corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » nova gte into corsa

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author nova gte into corsa
roverblown

User status: Offline
11th Mar 03 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend of mine has transplanted a 1.6 nova GTE engine into a 1.2 corsa merit.
So far they have not been able to get it started. Not knowing alot about vauxualls i hope sumone can point out sum problems.
The engine sparks but not sure if the timing is correct.
also i no a nova gte had an electric fuel pump on the tank. do corsa's have this too?
any help would be appreciated
Plymouth_Corsa

11th Mar 03 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would have been easier to get a corsa gsi engine and fit that, rather then a shed of a gte engine (probably as most are canned).
The GTE had a completly different loom, block to the 1.2 8v corsa - not forgetting the ECU! Check that the fuel pump works, and that there is fuel in the car, i think the corsa's all came with an electric fuel pump, as injection engines tend to use these a lot....early ones at least.
d0gz_bollox

11th Mar 03 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol there are a lot more GTE engines about then GSi ones I think you'll find it easier to get a GTE.

and the GTE is not a shed of an engine and a can see 150bhp (na) with the right mods (which aint bad for a 10+year old engine!!!)
The GTE is totally different to the 1.2 8v but so is the 1.6 16vGSi engine. In fact the 16v GSi engine has a lot more differences. The GTE has its fuel pump on the tank yes.

Is there power going to the ECU? Was the 1.2 8v injection or carb? You will need a fuel relay (which a carb engine wont have). Have you got the HT leads in the correct order? Is power going to the fuel pump? You may find if your using a 1.2 8v fuel pump it may not be sufficient to fuel the 1.6 (but it should still start). If It was a 1.2 carb then I dont think your fuel lines will be big enough either (I know there different sizes on novas) but car should still start up.
Have you connected the earth? (one on gearbox and I think one on alternator?!?!)
HAve you got a good battery. If the battery hasnt been used for a bit it might not have enough money to turn starter motor enough. and as we all know money makes the world turn around, but what that has to do with this I dont know, dyslexic muva fubar. meant power

Take all the spark plugs out, crank the engine by hand with your thumb down the spark plug holes and check for compression (crude test but saves you a tenner. lol)

Im going for earths though
miles

11th Mar 03 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.2 carb corsa's are rare.

The nova GTE/GSI engine is a stormer standard for what it is, and for the price and availability.

The Nova's fuel pump is outside the tank, the corsa ones are in the tank. You will need a bigger fuel pump, can fit a corsasport pump into your 1.2i tank. (Well I fitted a corsasport pump into my 1.2i nova tank, just had to take some casing off it)
roverblown

14th Mar 03 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its not so much the fuel at the moment but its not sparking.
Also how easy is it to put an induction kit on the nova gte engine because the airflow meter
is in the way.
Cybermonkey

14th Mar 03 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know someone at work with a 1.2 Corsa on carbs as standard.

Dave
roverblown

14th Mar 03 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can anyone email me the wiring diagrams for a nova GTE please
danjack0@hotmail.com
roverblown

14th Mar 03 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can anyone email me the wiring diagrams for a nova GTE please
danjack0@hotmail.com
vauxtillidie