corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » BT Vision

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BT Vision
Dom

User status: Offline
9th Jan 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Colin get a vox box, then just get the lowest virgin broadband and hook it up. THere are illegal as it picks the signal up from europe but you get EVERY channel free. ALl my amtes have them. Every so oft you have to update the codes but that is it. THink they are about 150 quid off ebay etc and then you are away. Apaarently you can get them that record and save like sky+ now too.

Eurovox There's also Dreambox, Dbox, Digivox and a few others.
No, the 'signal' is on the Virgin (NTL/Telewest) network, you have to feed the box encryption codes (which can be set to download) to decrypt channels. However this certainly isn't future proof as Virgin have started to roll out a security update that will make boxes become paperweights (currently rolled out in the north - leeds etc, don't think there is a fix yet), that and their plan to shift everything over to a IPTV network within the next few years. You can also get hacked Pace STBs but they're pretty hard to come by.
Whether or not it's worth it is up to you, considering the Eurovox EX7000 is around the £150-200 mark and it might only last a few months (could last a year, depends when the update reaches you and if a fix is found).
Edd

9th Jan 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i doubt that Colins new estate has got cable

seems to be the way they do it round about here
Carl

10th Jan 10 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Colin get a vox box, then just get the lowest virgin broadband and hook it up. THere are illegal as it picks the signal up from europe but you get EVERY channel free. ALl my amtes have them. Every so oft you have to update the codes but that is it. THink they are about 150 quid off ebay etc and then you are away. Apaarently you can get them that record and save like sky+ now too.

No, the 'signal' is on the Virgin (NTL/Telewest) network, you have to feed the box encryption codes (which can be set to download) to decrypt channels. However this certainly isn't future proof as Virgin have started to roll out a security update that will make boxes become paperweights (currently rolled out in the north - leeds etc, don't think there is a fix yet), that and their plan to shift everything over to a IPTV network within the next few years. You can also get hacked Pace STBs but they're pretty hard to come by.
Whether or not it's worth it is up to you, considering the Eurovox EX7000 is around the £150-200 mark and it might only last a few months (could last a year, depends when the update reaches you and if a fix is found).

Bad times, didn't know they were on with stopping it. I'm in Barnsley and my mates boxes are still gonig strong, they have had them a while though so if it gets stopped they will have had their moneys worth!
Dom

10th Jan 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Bad times, didn't know they were on with stopping it. I'm in Barnsley and my mates boxes are still gonig strong, they have had them a while though so if it gets stopped they will have had their moneys worth!

Yeah, there quite a few people, Ireland (they've had it since start of last year sometime)/Leeds moaning about it on forums that they have paperweights and not fix has been found yet. However the boxes themselves are pretty impressive, you can network them so you can stream cable/tv to pcs across the network/internet and remotely get the box to record a channel etc.
They are mainly used in Europe (Germany i believe), usually Nokia DBox, where it isn't illegal (IIRC) to use your own equipment on the cable networks.

Edd - VM is in serious debt so they don't really have the cash (they've been spending it on upgrading the head-end for IPTV/VOD etc) to lay cables, so yeah i doubt colins estate is cabled. Shame really as cable is a superior platform considering it's two-way etc (unlike SKY which is only one-way, hence why they use a BB connection for VOD, when it arrives).
taylorboosh

1st May 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a quick update sky sports is coming to vision for the new season and apparently will be uber cheap
bubble

3rd May 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol at this thread!!

virgin hd is rubbish?! on what basis? that their standard broadcast is 720-same as skys hd??

and bt vision has more on demand than virgin.i dont no about bt, but virgin have over 2300 music on demand. and over 7000 on demand tv's at any one point. and are launching tivo soon!

and sky sports going to £9 for next season.

stubs

4th May 10 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble
lol at this thread!!

virgin hd is rubbish?! on what basis? that their standard broadcast is 720-same as skys hd??

and bt vision has more on demand than virgin.i dont no about bt, but virgin have over 2300 music on demand. and over 7000 on demand tv's at any one point. and are launching tivo soon!

The amount of HD content available on Virgin was PANTS up until recently... I think my dad's had it for about 3 years now and only just got more channels added. Previously was only BBC HD.

Virgin's on demand is awesome though... I hate the fuckers though because they won't put cables in my street
stubs

4th May 10 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Get your eurovox / voxbox sold now whilst you still can... then buy yourself a cheap Dreambox (DM500 clones can be had for £50-60) Then find someone who will do card sharing with you
bubble

4th May 10 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:
lol at this thread!!

The amount of HD content available on Virgin was PANTS up until recently... I think my dad's had it for about 3 years now and only just got more channels added. Previously was only BBC HD.

Virgin's on demand is awesome though... I hate the fuckers though because they won't put cables in my street

yeah there about 14 now.

my point is though thats virgins standard broadcast is near 720, which isnt too fa away from skys actual hd service.

espn hd is awesome. get them cables laid!!
Dom

4th May 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
lol at this thread!!

yeah there about 14 now.

my point is though thats virgins standard broadcast is near 720, which isnt too fa away from skys actual hd service.

All UK HD broadcasts are 1080i50/60, usually with a resolution of 1440x1080 (i believe C4 HD broadcasts at 1920x1080), and differences between the platforms (Sky and Virgin) is bandwidth (EBU state that broadcasts should be at a min 12Mbps) and compression (MPEG2/H264). Personally i can't tell the difference in picture quality between the two platforms apart from BBC HD which on SKY is encoded to 9.7Mbps (H264) compared to 17Mbps on VirginMedia (VM encode the feed themselves, uses MPEG2) and it shows (slightly).

As for SD broadcasts, it's all 480i/576i, although the VM HD and SKY HD boxes will upscale that to 720p/1080i so picture quality will come down to how good the scaler is.
taylorboosh

4th May 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
lol at this thread!!

the best thing about vision is that you will be able to get sky sports stand alone with free espn.... whats more could you wnat
stubs

5th May 10 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yeah there about 14 now.

I've worked for Sky and think they're a fantastic company... but I'd need no pressure to switch to Virgin if I had the chance... simply for the on-demand content. I hate the boxes they use - I find them very sluggish. Great that they have component out aswell as HDMI, but they can't do analogue output at the same time like the Sky boxes can (for cheap multi-room)

Anyways, until the lazy bastards come and lay cables in my street... It's Sky all the way for me
(with upgraded equipment )
bubble

5th May 10 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

yeah there about 14 now.

I've worked for Sky and think they're a fantastic company... but I'd need no pressure to switch to Virgin if I had the chance... simply for the on-demand content. I hate the boxes they use - I find them very sluggish. Great that they have component out aswell as HDMI, but they can't do analogue output at the same time like the Sky boxes can (for cheap multi-room)

Anyways, until the lazy bastards come and lay cables in my street... It's Sky all the way for me
(with upgraded equipment )

yeah my vhd box was slow, a guy came and did summat to it and been ok since for the majority. i just love what virgin do!
Carl

15th May 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

They have recently lost all channels apart from skysports! Glad I didn't get one(due to advice on here) cheers.

Get your eurovox / voxbox sold now whilst you still can... then buy yourself a cheap Dreambox (DM500 clones can be had for £50-60) Then find someone who will do card sharing with you

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll