corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FK Coilovers and camber :(

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FK Coilovers and camber :(
moka

User status: Offline
6th Nov 09 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need some help people, especially those of you who have FK Coilovers or coilovers in general.

I have a post on the help section atm explaining this in more details but here goes...

I have just fitted the coilovers and the camber is propa pissed... Basically the OS wheel is pointing left when the steering wheel is straight and the NS wheel is straight.

I cannot get it even on both side, i have fit 5mm spacers to try and get some clearance on the coilovers but thats not really helped much.

What did you guys do? Any tips?
Gareth F

6th Nov 09 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

camber tilts the wheels in or out at the top like this / or this \ when looking at the front of the car.
If the wheels turn out that would be tracking or something else but not camber.
Col004

6th Nov 09 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your talking about toe in and out matey. camber is what gareth states above.

have you had your track rod arms on the rack disconnected from the hub? if so then thats the prob. disconnect the track rod arms both sides.. turn the steering wheel from left to right full lock both ways the center up and then connect the track rod arms back on the hubs with the wheels parralel. that will sort it as sometimes the rack can cause this

[Edited on 06-11-2009 by Col004]
callum_browns_sport

6th Nov 09 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like you need your tracking done i had to do mine after i fitted mine
moka

6th Nov 09 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the replies guys... What about the clearance? how much do you lot have? I can fit about 3/4 of my finger between the wheel and the coilover... is this enough?

[Edited on 06-11-2009 by moka]

[Edited on 07-11-2009 by moka]
Col004

6th Nov 09 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

set the camber center on the top elongated hole and you'll be fine mate
Nic Barnes

6th Nov 09 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh you dont need a lot of clearance
Jake

6th Nov 09 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could wedge a pound coin between the tyre and coilover seat on my old one. if the camber is really bad it will toe in or toe out aswell so it needs to be set up properly
moka

7th Nov 09 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, ok im happy about the clearance. Ive just made a few more adjustments...

I set it as central as i could and now i can hear the springs clunking sometimes on the right hand side ??? Also before i took it for a drive both wheels look dead straight, the steering felt a tad funny, then when got back one of the wheels was out again (passenger side). Could this be because it wasnt tight enough? Would it have anything to do with the 'clunking' noise i heard a few times (3-4 times in 10min drive).
Chris x

7th Nov 09 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got these on my car. Was a total nightmare when I got them first fitted. The camber was a mile out and couldnt find anywhere local to fix the camber. Nearly crashed a few times as the car wasnt turning properly due to the camber/tracking being out.

Ended up taking the car to a bodyshop who have a machine called 'Hunter' wheel alignment. Suppost to be one of the best machines around. Car now drives perfect.

They adjusted the camber, toe, tracking e.t.c.

Well worth it IMO!
Bobber123

7th Nov 09 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moka
Cheers lads, ok im happy about the clearance. Ive just made a few more adjustments...

I set it as central as i could and now i can hear the springs clunking sometimes on the right hand side ??? Also before i took it for a drive both wheels look dead straight, the steering felt a tad funny, then when got back one of the wheels was out again (passenger side). Could this be because it wasnt tight enough? Would it have anything to do with the 'clunking' noise i heard a few times (3-4 times in 10min drive).

you cant guess tracking by eye... you can get it close yes, but you need it on a proper wheel aligning rig, usually lasers hanging off the wheels bouncing off mirrors onto a grid of some kind to tell you where the wheels are pointing.
Chris x

7th Nov 09 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/
Bobber123

7th Nov 09 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Corsa B
http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

wish we had that at the garage i used to work at!!!!
before we got the laser tracking rig,
you had to look through a tube with mirrors and stuff... it was about 20 years old, on the pluss side, you could get a bit of CV grease and grease up the eye cup and get the apprentice to go check the tracking

[Edited on 07-11-2009 by Bobber123]
moka

7th Nov 09 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Corsa B
Got these on my car. Was a total nightmare when I got them first fitted. The camber was a mile out and couldnt find anywhere local to fix the camber. Nearly crashed a few times as the car wasnt turning properly due to the camber/tracking being out.

Ended up taking the car to a bodyshop who have a machine called 'Hunter' wheel alignment. Suppost to be one of the best machines around. Car now drives perfect.

They adjusted the camber, toe, tracking e.t.c.

Well worth it IMO!

How much did it set you back?
moka

7th Nov 09 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just been down to another garage who do camber, they adjusted the camber along with the toe and said to me its all done. I picked it up, took it for a drive, and before i could really test it, i went round a roundabout and then the car was back to how it was before... PISSED!

Why is this? Anyone have any ideas? Im taking it back to the garage in 45mins.

[Edited on 07-11-2009 by moka]
Chris x

7th Nov 09 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It cost me £70

I went to a garge and they told me they couldnt adjust the camber but the machine said it was fine. Turned out they fucked me over so wont be going back there again.

[Edited on 07-11-2009 by Chris Corsa B]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FK Coilovers and camber :( 23 database queries in 0.0098989 seconds