corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help!
Shell
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Nov 09 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right. Eck has a Fujitsu Siemens xi 2550 laptop. With this laptop you have an option to burn three system recovery discs incase you need to restore the system. Yesterday Eck was having trouble with the laptop, it would freeze entirely after two minutes and doing a system restore to a few weeks week prior sorted the problem for a few hours then it happened again. We figured this was due to a virus and the fact Norton had stopped working. So decided to restore the system using the dics. This has been done before and worked fine after the laptop one day randomly refused to load.
However, this time, the laptop has installed all three discs but after restarting the laptop, it says it cannot load as there is a problem with recently installed hardware.

No idea why this is an I'm reeeeally hoping someone can shed some light on this and a possible solution. Any help at all would be massively appreciated. Thanks.
Shell
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone please help
LukeS

1st Nov 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring the place where you bought it or the company helpline, you may get a quick answer with them.

[Edit] I forgot it's Sunday, try tomorrow?

[Edited on 01-11-2009 by LukeS]
Shell
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you captain obvious, he plans to call tomorrow. Some help today would have been fab though.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're great Shelley.
Shell
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure wether you are complimenting me or secretely sniggering at how terrible I am with technology
Brett
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of both I'm feeling your back-chat recently.
Dom

1st Nov 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it allow you get into windows? Or is it erroring before the windows load screen? Also, did the laptop come with any restore discs rather than the ones you had to burn?

If it came with restore discs (or a windows cd if your lucky) then i would do a complete reformat of the laptop and start again, although obviously you'd loose all of your data (so if you have access to windows, back anything up). This would certainly be the best option if your suspect a virus of some sorts.

It's also possible that it's a hardware fault, espeically if it's erroring before the windows load screen (or during etc). In which case you're a little screwed, and customer services would probably be the best option.
Shell
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, the laptop was getting allowing windows to load, but then freezing. The laptop didn't come with restore discs, that's what the burnt discs are apparently. They're supposed to restore back to factory setting(using some sort of hidden recovery partition, or so google told me). Having put the discs through(they worked last time we had to do this) it is now coming up an error screen saying run computer repair(which didn't work) as there is an error with recently installed hardware(the discs we put in I assume). Does this sound like hardware damage? Also, eerrmm....what does hardware damage mean? We're trying customer service tomorrow as it's still in warranty thankfully. But will warranty cover this?
Dom

1st Nov 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the restore discs with use a hidden partition on the drive to restore windows back to factory (ie: when you purchased the laptop). If it's erroring just after the loading screen, then it could be hardware fault (could be anything from dodgy ram/memory, mostly likely, to the motherboard to the power supply) or a dodgy driver which is halting windows loading (although this would be confusing).

Does it blue screen at all? If so, have you got an error code?

Also, have you plugged in any external hardware, Wireless cards, USB dongles etc when it was restoring or just after? A (very) long short, restore the laptop again but without anything plugged in (power supply will be fine), then see if you can get it into windows and go from there (installing external hardware etc).

And if it is still in warranty then they'll either take it and repair it or swap (give you a new one) it out for you. Although you'll probably have to sit on the phone to customer services/tech supports and go through all the drivel before they'll act on getting it repaired etc.

If it's out of warranty then i would attempt to completely format the drive, use a retail copy of windows (legit or not etc) and take it from there. You'd most likely need drivers, but they should be on the Fujitsu Siemens website etc. Iit'd then be the case to see if it was just the dodgy restore discs or hardware. And if it is the latter, then it’ll be a bit of a ballache on a laptop to hunt down the failed hardware as you can't easily replace a lot of the parts.

Personally i would say that it's hardware at fault here, considering the restore discs worked last time.

If you have access to another computer (to burn a CD) then you could also run Memtest (>HERE<) and leave it all night. That would certainly tell you whether it's the ram at fault.
Shell
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll pass all that on to Eck, but he's just about as useless as me. And there's not a hope in hell of fujitsu replacing the laptop They're horrendous that way. However, thank you majorly for the help!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help! 25 database queries in 0.0098090 seconds