corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Installing powerbox questions/problems (UPDATED with pics)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Installing powerbox questions/problems (UPDATED with pics)
XozziDK

User status: Offline
17th Oct 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will have to disasemble the wiring again just to check and be sure. Also I've got to check on the knock sensor wiring/plug

Richardhhha

17th Oct 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't worry about the knock sensor just yet, but if you need to know where it is, its on the back of the engine up near the head iirc.. Oh and check your fuses last thing you need is to have done all of this and it was just a bloody fuse.
XozziDK

17th Oct 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I checked the fuses already

I just checked the wires for egr, knock sensor, and the 2 throttle body plugs (all in the same loom) and also generally the wires behind the engine, but mostly on the fuel vent valve.

Also changed all flame's clear vac hoses with better ones.

But I was just reading through the guides again, and I noticed it said to dismount the fuel hoses to the fuel pressure regulator, but I never did that becouse I didn't need the space.. But is that important that they've been off and on again?

Also I just got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a gauge in a package I ordered for some time ago, maybe I should try and fit it to see if theres enough pressure? (except that the fuel hoses dont fit my new regulator, lol - so gotta make something up about that) ..
- but I thought it's better to wait till the engine have been started to not mess up even more

EDIT:And I forgot to mention my egr plug has 4 wires, but thats just a minor detail , and I believe it makes no difference if I cut the wires to extend them, or just split the loom to make it go apart from eachother (I know 2 of the egr wires connect with some other wires at some point, but thats where I made the split)

[Edited on 17-10-2009 by XozziDK]
Richardhhha

17th Oct 09 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your looking at a egr fault then mate, the fuel pressure regulator just needs disconnecting if you need the room, it may have a little air lock but they self bleed so should be ok.
XozziDK

17th Oct 09 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But what should I do about the egr valve? except cleaning the plugs?
XozziDK

17th Oct 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I blanket off the egr valve by splitting apart a beercan apart and cut out a 1-layer gasket for the egr valve.

and put liquid gasket on both sides of the new beer-gasket

I know it's not thick and I might wanna make a thicker one at some point. but right now it should do okay for the startup problem
XozziDK

17th Oct 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just started the car after the gaskets for blinded egr valve had dryed for an hour+ .. and I actually had it alive quite for more seconds than I have had the many recent tries (maybe 10-15) but then it died again with a poof, and my mate which was standing in front of the engine, told me there was comming smoke out of the intake underneath the powerbox.. so I'm questioning myself if it really is not leaking even though it had plenty of liquid gasket on both sides of the old gasket??

I ain't bothered to remove it again just to make a new gasket of liquit gasket + the old one - so for now I think I'll take a break till monday and drop in my local opel dealer to get a brand new one and mount it without any of the liquid gasket (shit obviously)

So if there ain't anymore good ideas, I'm just gonna go on hold for now

But it's still not starting again after dying out before 10-20 mins have passed, then I can start it and keep it alive for some seconds again, and then wait another 10-20 minutes for another try.. over and over again..

Also I think the car sounded better this time.. you could compare it to if the battery had been off long and the ecu is recalibrating so I think its normal it's having a humpy idle, I just dont understand why you have to wait 20 minutes becouse of a leak? - is it drowning becouse of an air leak? ;o
XozziDK

17th Oct 09 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NEWS!! I just had it running for almost 3 minutes with 3000 rpm (hard to keep alive below, and sounded even more shit above) but it never really started to go well..

I think maybe it could be a leak at this point since its just all getting a little better and better for everytime I do something
Richardhhha

17th Oct 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the egr is goosed it will still run crap, you should try cleaning it with carb cleaner then get some 1mm steal to make the gasket, try putting some strong gaffer tape round all the welds on the manifold as i just been reminded that flames inlets some of them the welds failed so they leaked, by putting gaffer tape over the welds (make sure its done with no bumps) it will seal it for a few seconds so it should idle ok.
XozziDK

18th Oct 09 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could try the gaffa trick.. But the box is from flame's latest produced set, so dont ya think theyve fixed that problem? - but I'll check anyway as its fairly easy to try

Now that I blocked the egr valve, does it matter if its cleaned or not? .. when i had it off to blank and gasket it, I tried to shake it and it made a clicking sound - which means the parts inside can move freely and works so cleaning shouldnt be necessary in my opinion..

Tomorrow im gonna get a gasket for the inlet from the opel dealer and try it..

EDIT: I've uploaded a video to youtube from my last startup.. But the sound quality is not too good, even though it's actually the point of the video ;o ..

- I will try to make a better one as soon as possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNhDAlNlink
In the video its running around 3000 rpm, since thats the point it runs best and is easiest to keep it alive .....and note that I'm turning it off myself in the end

[Edited on 18-10-2009 by XozziDK]
Richardhhha

19th Oct 09 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Umm the egr isn't sposed to click/rattle its a solid metal valve type thing, that has a little electric solanoide that moves it, i'll take the one off my spare xe head and check it but im pritie sure that im right tho, even tho you blocked it off the egr has to move like it normally does or it will throw a code up and can make the car play up still, also you said your plugs are black try getting a cheap coolant temp sensor and plug it in.. See if that works or have you cleaned the plugs?
XozziDK

19th Oct 09 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will buy new bosch super 4 plugs today with the gasket as well (im omw there in a minute :b)

Where is the coolant temp sensor located?

edit: is it this one?
http://media.thg.dk/DAT/pic/m/551010961370.JPG

[Edited on 19-10-2009 by XozziDK]
Richardhhha

19th Oct 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope the cts is situated just below the thurmostat.. thats the one that goes in the rad
XozziDK

19th Oct 09 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So on the left corner in top front of the engine, where the thermostat is - there is a plug going in a sensor that comes off with a 17 spanner I think ..

But what should be wrong with it? I didnt touch it, ever, and the engine ran perfecty before ;o

I've just removed all the old gasket and put on my new one that I got off the opel/vauxhall dealer.. But I'm waiting for the gasket to try, becouse I gave the vac brasses on the powerbox some gasket too, to make sure its not leaking there..

Also gaskets underneath the bolt heads, on top of the powerbox

The welds look very good and shouldnt leak
XozziDK

19th Oct 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YAY! IT WORKS! :'D

Thanks everyone who helped, especially richard
The car drives just like it did before (perfect), except that it's faster, lol!

But I had to disasemble the powerbox again, becouse when I had just only the brand new gasket between powerbox and lower intake manifold, it was whistling every 2-10 seconds. My theory was that the gasket did as if you had a grass straw between your thumbs, and blow = whistle sound

So as I said, I took it apart again, and put a thin layer of liquid gasket on both sides, and then put it together again.. While waiting for the gasket to dry, I was changing the spark plugs, and the old ones were still black. I also noticed through the spark hole, that the pistons were very greasy;o ..

Well, re-connected the battery to try another startup (had been off for a little more than an hour, so the ecu was also reset)

At first, it did alot of humping and shaking, but as the ecu was calibrating it was getting better, but still not perfect.. In idle it shaked alot!! but when you revved it to about 4000 rpm it actually went perfect i'd say.. - I thought i'd take it for a beating to clean up the pistonheads and explosionschamper, and after 3-4 km of flooring it, it was running perfectly!

Well except that a water hose was leaking, so it was getting pretty hot, so I had to take a stop and saw that the coolant bottle was empty, lol.. waited some time to cool off and drove back to the workshop to tighten the loose clamp.

That's it!

And again, a big thanks to everyone

Richardhhha

19th Oct 09 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent news fella hopefully it will keep you entertained for a bit now lol, and i hope no little gremlins plague you.
XozziDK

19th Oct 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah lol

Only thing I miss now is my deep roar that my old intake used to make, lol:b - I loved the sound after 5-6000 rpm

Now it just doesnt make much noise - and neither does the exhaustsystem... even though the cat is the only stock thing thats left.. I've changed the manifold, and then it's got a lexmaul system from cat to backbox.. But the cat is comming off asap, and then I hope it replaces the sound from my filter, haha .. and after that I'm getting the car chipped on a rolling road, also to see how much horsepower it's got

//Out

boffer8

8th Jan 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Richardhhha, what was the size of the vacuum hose you used for your installation?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll