corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jump starting - guide needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jump starting - guide needed
Daveskater
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Sep 09 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you don't touch the positive clamp thing against the car body and don't hold both clamp things at the same time with no insulators/handles on then you'll be reet.

I think I looked it up in my Haynes book once though, it says you're meant to put the lead on the running car's positive, then the dead one's positive, then the running one's negative, then a lifting eye type attachment to the engine. I did it that way and it worked fine.

You back on our shores now btw mate?

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Kano

21st Sep 09 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DO NOT attach the earth to the earth on the battery.. You can fry ecu's by doing it that way. Attach the earth to an engine mount or that.
neil h

21st Sep 09 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Also how do i avoid getting a (literal) shock?

Basically don't touch the car body if your in contact with the battery +ve. Simples

And as Kano said don't connect straight to the battery -ve as you risk drawing quite large currents (and damaging stuff) 'cus of the low earth impedance.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Sep 09 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always used the battery earths

Do you mean on both cars?
Robbo

21st Sep 09 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, didn't work though... battery must be dead dead dead... altho the radio and rcl still works... no turnover whatsoever
Jake

21st Sep 09 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are the blowers weak with the ignition on?
alan-g-w

21st Sep 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I was going to say this as well and that I've had no ill effects, but realised the ABS sensor started playing up in my dad's car when I jumped mine off it. But then I realised the battery's in the back under the seats and it's just terminals in the engine bay iirc, so it's not only if you take it direct from the battery.

The old man was a mechanic, he says it's just in general not good for a car to be used to jump start another. And now refuses to do it if/ when my battery's flat
Kano

21st Sep 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Yeh just in general.. I jump start hundreds of cars a month (work for green flag) and I only connect to the earth if I really have to. Dont fancy paying for new ECU's all the time..

Robbo, is it definately the battery? If connecting it isn't making any difference it sounds more like a starter problem. If so give the starter a couple of taps with a hammer and try it.
Kano

21st Sep 09 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I was going to say this as well and that I've had no ill effects, but realised the ABS sensor started playing up in my dad's car when I jumped mine off it. But then I realised the battery's in the back under the seats and it's just terminals in the engine bay iirc, so it's not only if you take it direct from the battery.

The old man was a mechanic, he says it's just in general not good for a car to be used to jump start another. And now refuses to do it if/ when my battery's flat

As long as its done right it does no damage to either car. Its only going to do damage if you dont know what your doing. As for the ecu thing it is only 1 in so many that it will happen with but its not worth the risk.
John

21st Sep 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had a problem using the battery earth, it's no different from any other earth on the car.
Robbo

21st Sep 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
are the blowers weak with the ignition on?
nope, all was fine til i left the lights on (for 3 hours!) on sat
Robbo

21st Sep 09 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Yeh just in general.. I jump start hundreds of cars a month (work for green flag) and I only connect to the earth if I really have to. Dont fancy paying for new ECU's all the time..

Robbo, is it definately the battery? If connecting it isn't making any difference it sounds more like a starter problem. If so give the starter a couple of taps with a hammer and try it.
cheers man, will give it a try
sand-eel

21st Sep 09 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see when you connected your car to the other car, did you start the engine on the other car?
M2RTY

21st Sep 09 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does it spark when connecting the 2nd lead on your car? if not, then it needs a clean to get elec conducting
alan-g-w

21st Sep 09 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

As long as its done right it does no damage to either car. Its only going to do damage if you dont know what your doing. As for the ecu thing it is only 1 in so many that it will happen with but its not worth the risk.

We knew exactly what we were doing, just that he mentioned around the time of him using his car to jump mine it started acting up. Maybe not related, but he seemed to think so.
sand-eel

21st Sep 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Electrical components can only take what current they use, they can't use too much current and fry them selves, only if there is an internal short circuit this will happen, which is no way related to jump starting.
Kano

21st Sep 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Electrical components can only take what current they use, they can't use too much current and fry them selves, only if there is an internal short circuit this will happen, which is no way related to jump starting.

So the numerous times I've seen ECU's having to be replaced after jump starting didn't happen?
micra_pete
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An old rac man always told me

pos to pos
neg (on the good car) to a big bolt or something on the engine of the car being 'jumped'
John

21st Sep 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apart from a bit of resistance depending on where you connect the lead to any earth will be the same as any other earth, it's a common voltage plane.
sand-eel

21st Sep 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Apart from a bit of resistance depending on where you connect the lead to any earth will be the same as any other earth, it's a common voltage plane.

exactly, the only thing that would wreck an ecu is a big voltage spike, which done direct to the battery or anywhere on a car would have the same effect.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Sep 09 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The impedance is slightly higher via an earth strap to the engine though so you are effectively protecting against spikes and current drain because the strap can't supply it.
sand-eel

21st Sep 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ecus are usually earthed on a common earth point on the body though.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jump starting - guide needed 24 database queries in 0.1863949 seconds