corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 'complete and utter bodge'

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'complete and utter bodge'
davcohen

User status: Offline
16th Sep 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what exactly does this do, stop the rear sliding out?
alan-g-w

16th Sep 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Ste L, what are they in the first picture? Look like jubilees?

And there's nothing wrong with exhaust clamps. All you need is something to hold the ARB tight to the rear beam, even half decent exhaust clamps would be fine I'd say.

which picture?

I'm guessing they're not jubilees?
sand-eel

16th Sep 09 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davcohen
what exactly does this do, stop the rear sliding out?

Increases dynamic weight transfer to the rear
Ryan_G1

16th Sep 09 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_G1
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_G1
quote:
Originally posted by Olsrey
That must mean my Whiteline rear ARB is a bodge too then as its pretty much the same thing.

Is it held on with exhaust clamps tho

basically, yes

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/7578/S8000045.JPG

Thats not very good is it?

but it's not really an exhaust camp, it's just the 'U' but, with poly bush, and proper arb mount around that

unlike this

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/8352/DSC03951.JPG

compared to this

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/5083/S8000050.JPG

[Edited on 16-09-2009 by Ste L]

Now that is a bodge

Whiteling one looks good tho. Proper job :tumbs
Jakey
Premium Member

16th Sep 09 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport
Not had any rattles or anything from mine and mines a bodged on cav sri one.

Amen to the bodged ARB's
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Sep 09 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate to say this but the exhaust clamp method there looks a bodge, the major difference between that and the Whiteline way is that the Whiteline clamp has purchase on both the beam and the bar independently and doesn't just hug it all.

I would think exhaust clamps could be used to good effect but only if the clamp is modified to mate to each component separately.
DaveB

16th Sep 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise I'd started such a craze with my bodged rear ARB?

I've had an MOT since, and many garages have seen the 'bodge' since. Mine doesn't knock, bang or anything else un towards.
John

16th Sep 09 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rarb for the vag polo type chassis (can't remember who makes it now) was held on with clamps not dissimilar to the exhaust clamps but more substantial.

They are more to hold the arb up against the beam than for any strength, the strength is between the 2 suspension mounts, not the bar and the beam.
Ste
Premium Member

16th Sep 09 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a crock of shit tbh! It is a SOLID rear beam. An ARB would ONLY work if it has IRS which a corsa doesn't.

Also, any suspension component should use a minimum of 8.8 high tensile steel fastners, not mild steel exhaust clamps.

I'd be getting rid of all that extra, unneccesary unsprung weight from the rear and increasing handling that way!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

16th Sep 09 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The principal advantage of the beam axle is that it is simple and cheap to manufacture. It also engages little or no interior volume within the vehicle. Its drawbacks are that it does not allow each wheel to move independently in response to bumps, and the mass of the beam is part of the unsprung weight of the vehicle, which can further reduce ride quality. Furthermore, because the wheels are rigidly connected, they experience greater camber change in turns, which reduces their traction in turns.

Beam axles are nonetheless common on low-cost, front-wheel drive cars, particularly minivans and other vehicles placing a great emphasis on maximum internal volume

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
ed

16th Sep 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rear beam flexes under torsion though. And to back that point further and to stop further Internet arguments, why would Vauxhall put an ARB on the car in the factory if the beam was 'solid'. The beam is far from solid, just look at it, of course it will twist.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Sep 09 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
What a crock of shit tbh! It is a SOLID rear beam. An ARB would ONLY work if it has IRS which a corsa doesn't.

Also, any suspension component should use a minimum of 8.8 high tensile steel fastners, not mild steel exhaust clamps.

I'd be getting rid of all that extra, unneccesary unsprung weight from the rear and increasing handling that way!

Stop being gay, drive a car with and without one and you'll see the difference. Enjoy your 1.0ltr brakes.
Jenko_Sport

17th Sep 09 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport
Not had any rattles or anything from mine and mines a bodged on cav sri one.

Amen to the bodged ARB's

You still running my single clamp
Haimsey
Premium Member

17th Sep 09 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

Stop being gay, drive a car with and without one and you'll see the difference. Enjoy your 1.0ltr brakes.

My car feels different driving it atm without it on, never driven it without it on whilst lowered. Although it could all be in my head.

I put a bit of effort into my godge though, i even painted the exhaust clamps matt black

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Dan295

17th Sep 09 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBoom
Weld a washer over the elongated hole, its a pain in the arse anyways.

i did this, its a much better solution tbh
Nick-S

17th Sep 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W

No!! Although the design for a corsa is more of a beam brace than an ARB they do work!
i fitted a 24mm whiteline ARB to a Mk4 Astra GSi. Although they fit differently as it has bushes that bolt to the trailing arm links and has drop links to the spring seat rather than just clamping round the beam. The diffrence it made was immense!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 'complete and utter bodge' 24 database queries in 0.0203900 seconds