corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Warranty Issues

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Warranty Issues
Carlos_UK

User status: Offline
   17th Feb 03 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gonna go and buy an amp today, but as I know you have to run a wire direct from the battery, i thought I'd phone Vauxhall to find out implications on my Warranty (Tis a brand new car) and they said that if anything goes wrong that the amp is connected to, then it will invalidate the warranty for that, and as every electrical system is connected to the battery (obviously) then if any electrics fail, they can blame the amp!!!

What can do, how I see it I have these options:

1) Don't bother with an amp
2) Get the amp and risk it
3) Buy a seperate battery and run it off that (prob is having to keep charging it)
4) Install it and if anything goes wrong, disconnect it b4 taking to vauxhall

Any ideas, I know most of you will probably say risk it, but with the luck I've had with the car, the thing will probably blow up!!
blebo

17th Feb 03 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it installed by Halfords etc. they will charge about £40. Then if anything does go wrong you can either, force vaux to fix the car cause it has nothing to do with the amp as it was fitted by a reputably dealer* or if vaux prove otherwise...take it to Halfords and tell them that there doggy installed shagged your motor

*opinion of general public not mine and propable not that of Cs either
d0gz_bollox

17th Feb 03 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...or if something goes wrong just disconnect and remove sub power wire. you probably think that sounds like hassle but the chances of something going wrong are very very slim. Fuses protect most of the electrics
jrsteeve

17th Feb 03 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did this, got my ice installed in my corsa c and for some reason there was no power to the hu. Went back to Vauxhall, they said it wasn't under warrenty, kicked off and they sorted it - One of the main fuses had blown.

The fact is that not much ever really goes wrong with the electrics, and if it does, u can easliy remove the wire to the battery. U'd also have to remove the hu and any other speakers that u have added, and put it all back to standard to be covered by the warrenty.

However, not many dealerships are this arsey, and if they are, u can go to any Vaux dealer if one says no.

Get it installed by a decent approved ice shop and u should be covered by their warrenty for a while if anything fooks up.
Carlos_UK

19th Feb 03 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I buy an amp, I wonder if I can get masterfit to install it so if any probs do occur Vauxhall can blame themselves!!!!

Just a thought!
jipp

19th Feb 03 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not worth the hassel or the £35 per hour labour they charge.
if you really woried go for option 4 but make sure you have the tools in the car to remove the offending item.
if you follow the basics of wiring using correct fuses and proper earths then you should have no worries regarding the electrics on the car.
Carlos_UK

19th Feb 03 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is, I'm not really worried about the amp causing problems, i'm more concerened if anything else goes wrong in the electrical system, cos they could try and blame the amp, also they said that if I install it, anything that its connected to will not be covered by warranty, so as its connected to the battery as are all the other systems in the car, they could use this to get out of fixing say if the power steering failed or something!

Gonna go and talk to Halfords today and see what they say about the warranty i.e. what happens if Vauxhall blame them, what will they do about it!
jipp

20th Feb 03 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here's the deal, every electrical system that runs off the battery has a fuse. the amp once fitted will draw power it should have two fuses. now in the unlikelty event of their being a woring fault youhave all these fuses that will blow before there is any damage caused to the electrical system. in the seven years i have had cars and fitted systems i have caused a lot of sparks by not disconecting batteries but never damaged any of the other electrical systems.

New Poll