corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Home Energy Saving: Turbines / Solar Panels etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home Energy Saving: Turbines / Solar Panels etc
Bart

User status: Offline
20th May 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone installed any of these such items at home in a bid to save money/energy?
For a long time ive been curious about this, but never properly looked into it.
_Allan_

20th May 09 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get the g/f round with her mates, they will natter like fuck for an hour or so about shite and you'll heat your home for the winter
myke

20th May 09 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they're a great idea and if i was speccing a new build from scratch i'd definately include some renewables.
The pay back on some of the items is shite though, and it'd take probably about 20-30 years to pay back the cost of installing a wind turbine by the amount of monthly savings to your leccy bill.
Is the thing even going to last as long as it's pay back duration?

I'd definately look at ground source heating though if starting a project from scratch.

a_j_mair

20th May 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all depends where you are really
turbines can be good in the right situation
solar panels again can be good but are more aimed at the people wanting to make a difference rather than save some cash at present

is ongoing research and de3velopment and they are getting better but as mkye has said

ground source heating is by far the most cost effective renewable to date, only really suitable for new build or major redevelopment rather than retro fit

best idea is to turn off your tv etc, maybe buy more efficient appliances, dont use tumble dryer or heating as much
energy saving light bulbs
etc
Bart

20th May 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On a similar sort of note, has anyone seen the Google PowerMeter?

quote:

Google, in its continuous effort to help us all go green, has started to rollout Google PowerMeter.

PowerMeter is a Google gadget that will help you regulate your homes power usage. The idea is simple, if you can monitor and measure your own power usage then you will be able to help reduce your utility bill by observing where you are wasting energy.

Google has teamed up with a list of power providers that have begun installing new smart meters that when paired with PowerMeter allow the user to observe their power usage. The initial list of participating companies is as follows:

• San Diego Gas & Electric® (California)
• TXU Energy (Texas)
• JEA (Florida)
• Reliance Energy (India)
• Wisconsin Public Service Corporation (Wisconsin)
• White River Valley Electric Cooperative (Missouri)
• Toronto Hydro–Electric System Limited (Canada)
• Glasgow EPB (Kentucky)

The devices will soon be available to millions of users who will hopefully take advantage of this technology to help reduce strain on the power grids. The consumer can also see a direct result of their efforts to reduce their energy usage by having their utility bills each month be lowered.

Hopefully more providers will jump onto the smart meter bandwagon so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of monitoring their own power. It's these types of small improvements that can vastly reduce our carbon footprint when adopted on a wide scale.

Soon to be released In every home in britain, which looks impressive.
John

20th May 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got a wattson in the house here, I still think they're a massive con but it does make you think what you've left switched on.

I love being able to monitor everything but 2020 is ages away.
Richie B

20th May 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stuff like this will only happen on new built imo because of the CfSH. Can't see people adding them to older homes because the cost is so great right now and the technologies aren't really well known/used/developed
Rob_Quads

20th May 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CurrentCost meters are used over here for something similar. Quite a few at work have started using them and doing all sorts with them.

charcoalgrill

20th May 09 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair

turbines can be good in the right situation

ongoing research and de3velopment and they are getting better but as mkye has said

ground source heating is by far the most cost effective renewable to date, only really suitable for new build or major redevelopment rather than retro fit

best idea is to turn off your tv etc, maybe buy more efficient appliances, dont use tumble dryer or heating as much
energy saving light bulbs
etc

Barratts are the first (and no sure if only) mainstream housebuilder to help the governments 2012 aims in researching sustainable energy and zero carbon (they are also working with e-on and have developed a low carbon village)- they came up with that solar panels were quite useful, but wind turbines werent worthwhile, but obviously it was an early stage and as you say they are still researching it.

Im sure that you can find a company that will install solar panels locally, and i would be interested to know if you find any, and if they are any good
drunkenfool

21st May 09 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad bought me one of those energy monitors recently and I know it's helped, for instance I had no idea how much electricity my amp uses when its on but not playing any music (around 80-90 watts!) so now I make sure thats on standby when its not used. I also bought a network caddy for my hard drives, my flatmates quite often watch the stuff I got shared on my comptuer so I used to leave it on 24/7 but I now turn it off when its not being used cos the media is shared remotely
One other thing, ive not looked into the cost of renewable energy from power suppliers, but Im assuming that it would work out cheaper than generating it at home because the larger turbines etc are more efficient, so maybe it would be a better idea to invest in renewable sources that way? I would love to have a turbine/solar cells though
Cosmo

21st May 09 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EON are going to start fitting smart meters into everyhome from later this year I think it is, thats approx 11m homes. Their meters (from what I understand) can show you the current level of energy consumption much like above.
John

21st May 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My energy meter has allowed me to prove to my dad that the adverts on tv saying you can save 100 quid a year for every item you don't leave on standby are a lot of tosh.

The thing they are talking about don't even use that much over a whole year altogether.
Cosmo

21st May 09 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More 'green' propaganda
Simon

21st May 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn your TV off during adverts to save even more
drunkenfool

21st May 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
My energy meter has allowed me to prove to my dad that the adverts on tv saying you can save 100 quid a year for every item you don't leave on standby are a lot of tosh.

The thing they are talking about don't even use that much over a whole year altogether.

My sister tried to tell me a few weeks ago that leaving things on standby can use more electricity than leaving them on. I tried to point out to her the basic principles of physics and electronics but she just got all defensive Bless.
Leo_Foci

21st May 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've just launched Air Therm and Ground Source pumps were i work and i tell you something..... you've got either have lots of money or a hell of a lot of land for the ground one. The Air Therm sounds ok but looks like a toy box in the back garden!

Or a tree hugger who wants to do everything in their power to save the earth.

Just do what every sane person does that whats to save money... turn blackpool off and make sure you turn electrics off at the wall, not just on standby.

AndyKent

21st May 09 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GSHPs are a good idea tbh.

We will be installing one for a client who isn't connected to mains gas and doesn't want to be lumbered with oil (and the cost of oil is only going one way remember) so the £10k cost of putting a GSHP in doesn't bother them much.

Although, they are also having to pay nearly £30k to get electricity, water and BT to their land!
Jules S
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh renewables are coming along quite a bit these days, but as said, they barely pay back in their lifetime (and that excludes maintenance)

I read a paper recently (not the tabloid variety) that suggest that PV's are going to come to the fore in the next ten years. They will become super cheap to produce (v expensive at the mo) and the applications will be integrated into clear films for fitting to windows etc.

a_j_mair

22nd May 09 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leo_Foci
We've just launched Air Therm and Ground Source pumps were i work and i tell you something..... you've got either have lots of money or a hell of a lot of land for the ground one.

we specify ground source heat pumps quite a bit
they are really not that expensive roughly £20k for full heating system with a £4k grant back
you have to install underfloor heating or radiators anyway along with a bolier so the only extra cost is the heat exchanger

we always use bore holes with them though that way all you need is a 6" hole 80m in the ground and dont have to dig up acres of land

PV units are coming on leaps and bounds

seen an episode of grand designs and the people had pv built into the windows, was very expensive though

the newer units are using a different makeup (cant remeber off the top of my head) but i am sure i needed something like 6m squared for a 1Kva supply

New Poll