corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » mate had £1500 turn up at work today.....

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author mate had £1500 turn up at work today.....
DizzyRebel

User status: Offline
13th Mar 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People on here seem reluctant to spend £1500 on wheels tho, the general cesaro/speedline/softstars you see on cars usually pass hands at £150 a set.

£1500 of engine is worth it, ie a V6 or let conversion as your making use of a light shell by fitting a powerful engine - its a performance match and the cost is relatively low compared to buying something with the same pub figures out the box.

Modifying is all well and good, theres clever mods, effective mods and worthwhile mods you can make to a car but to me before i do anything to a car i ask myself is it worth it and will it be cost effective.

Theres nothing cuntish about being careful with money.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so now you're saying its worth putting a V6 or LET into an small car where as before you said you don't know why people spend money on performance for something that wasn't made with performance in mind in the first place?

am I reading your posts wrong or can you not make your mind up? thats all.
DizzyRebel

13th Mar 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

perhaps i wasnt clear in previous posts. Overall i have said that there is no point in building what you can buy or trying to turn something into something it isnt if it isnt cost effective.

And iirc a corsa gsi was desined to be a sporty hatch. They look acceptable and spending 3 grand on one to turn it into a RAT weapon to me is cost effective.

What i just dont get is a bora with £1500 wheels on it... why? Why not buy a bmw 325, an audi A4, a vectra gsi, a mondeo st... all cars that look good standard and tick all the boxes a bora does.

And to those who say go against the grain with something 'different'... What exactly is different about putting expensive BBS wheels on mid range VW commonly used by familys or sales reps? Surely different is finding an obscure, uncommon car and doing things with it people wouldnt expect to be done?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think its about being different (though people who do that are loosing the plot), its about different tastes. Everyone has a different opinion of what looks cool which is why we have such a large spectrum of modified cars which is both a good and bad thing.

DizzyRebel

13th Mar 09 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Different tastes are upto the owner, but some things are different for a reason...
AK

13th Mar 09 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

back to wheels and car...

Love the wheels.... but they just look shite on that car :S
aron

13th Mar 09 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
People on here seem reluctant to spend £1500 on wheels tho, the general cesaro/speedline/softstars you see on cars usually pass hands at £150 a set.

£1500 of engine is worth it, ie a V6 or let conversion as your making use of a light shell by fitting a powerful engine - its a performance match and the cost is relatively low compared to buying something with the same pub figures out the box.

Modifying is all well and good, theres clever mods, effective mods and worthwhile mods you can make to a car but to me before i do anything to a car i ask myself is it worth it and will it be cost effective.

Theres nothing cuntish about being careful with money.

your argument is flawed mate.

being careful with money is buying a small engined sub £2k car and keeping it completely standard.

i'm not sure if you know about wheels, but expensive wheels (like bbs's etc) hold their money pretty damn well.

my wheels are 17 years old and are still worth more than most corsas lol
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 pages
LukeD

13th Mar 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love some of these replies.

1) Its the owners choice whether he spends the money

2) Not all people are fussed with engine conversions... ild rather spend the money on a set of wheels.. as i see them as the make or break on a car.

3) Dont think ive ever seen speedlines for sale at £150.

4) He wont loose that much money on it... as he could just remove them and sell them seperatly.

5) I spent 1.5k on wheels for a corsa... which is probably worse than that car... so i FAIL big time.
AK

13th Mar 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont get the whole 'to be different thing' either.

I have a subaru. Many have subarus. A lot of 'sheep' say they are crap because they are common. They are common because they are good/affordable/practical.

Anyway... modding a car to be different. It's like a late 90's Goth. You're so different.... but your just the same as the rest of the clowns. Modding to me should be about improvements. I'm old and angry these days though.

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by AK]
stubbsy05

13th Mar 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A guy at work spent £4500 on his mountain bike....

discuss

Its horses for courses
AK

13th Mar 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prob because its strong/light/good... not because he wants it to look nice and 'be different'

His money though... thats the main point.
SeanXE

13th Mar 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubbsy05

discuss

Its horses for courses

On what exactly, when I use to ride I never saw any parts expensive enough to do that, unless you mean over the years changing parts etc, I spent about £1000 on one of my BMX's.
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by S7M XE
I spent about £1000 on one of my BMX's.

Snap, I spent just over 1k building my BMX when I used to ride years ago.
SeanXE

13th Mar 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
quote:
I spent about £1000 on one of my BMX's.

Snap, I spent just over 1k building my BMX when I used to ride years ago.

What was it?

I had 2 or 3 good bmx's

Wethepeople Darkness, pretty standard

Twenty frame-£200
oddysey wheels-£220
Fly bars-£50
oddysey stem-£70
to many to list lol

then I just bought a wethepeople phoenix '08 £500 (still got it)

lol good old days
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't remember now but it was a Fedeal Division frame which cost £230, can't remember every part now as it was about 7-8 years ago when I built it.
Tommy L

13th Mar 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car modifying is a hobby. If he wants to spend £1.5k on wheels he will do.

I love spending money on the car to modify it, it's all part of the fun for car enthusiasts.

If i had the money to spend £1,5k on wheels i'd happily do it. I just wouldn't put them on a bora but that's just me.

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by corsa_tomtom]
SeanXE

13th Mar 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Can't remember now but it was a Fedeal Division frame which cost £230, can't remember every part now as it was about 7-8 years ago when I built it.

Ohh right my mate had one of them
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold the bike for about £300 when I no longer rode, or used it
SeanXE

13th Mar 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I'm trying to sell my hard tail I don't ride either anymore
stubbsy05

13th Mar 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stubbsy05

discuss

Its horses for courses

On what exactly, when I use to ride I never saw any parts expensive enough to do that, unless you mean over the years changing parts etc, I spent about £1000 on one of my BMX's.

He bought all the bits for it and had it built.

Main point I was getting at is though, its his money so he can spend it on what he wants

<<  2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » mate had £1500 turn up at work today..... 23 database queries in 0.2016659 seconds