corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Grand Designs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Grand Designs
Cosmo

User status: Offline
7th Feb 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone watching the new series?

The last one (industrial building) is a dream conversion of mine, and have my eye on two similar type of buildings that Id love to convert myself.
J da Silva

7th Feb 09 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take on a fair few barn conversions and old ruins converted into homes or places of business, I can't watch it unless I went on the channels website or whatever but I do watch it a lot when possible.
Cosmo

7th Feb 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been round a fair few (talking 10+) big barn conversions with my parents where they have been in shocking conditions, but the few (I think 4 now) we've gone to our architect who has drawn up detailed plans before we have bought the actual property and they've just dismissed it.

Around our way they wont consider it unless its for farming use - so in the numer of times we've wanted to take a falling down barn and empty farm house, connect them and make it an amazing property they have zero interest.

The one we were most interested in, 2 yrs ago, still stands empty and the barn is close to collapse, where as we would of saved it and would be standing like new today. Planning are wankers.
J da Silva

7th Feb 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's Health and Safety gone silly, they don't want any comebacks on themselves, if your build goes wrong or over budget, they don't want you taking them to cleaners.
Cosmo

8th Feb 09 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
It's Health and Safety gone silly, they don't want any comebacks on themselves, if your build goes wrong or over budget, they don't want you taking them to cleaners.

The thing is getting planning wont do any of that - if the council follows protocol as they have set out then no one will have any come back on them and everyone will be happy.

The best we have had is we wanted to turn a dormer into a full two story house, so basically raise the height a few foot. The house was set in its own grounds of about 10 acres, couldnt be seen from the road and didnt over look any other property (infact was about 300m from any other property) yet they wouldnt allow it - could they actually give us a reason, could they fuck.
J da Silva

8th Feb 09 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you mean, my nearest neighbour is roughly 100ft away, and they got the hump on when extended, it was abit of mad extension but it never effected them in any way at all, however my architect at the time wrote them a letter and everything was ok with planning, so even though they wasn't happy, I had the nod from the local council.
They soon sold up and I bought the house to rent out, they still scath at the sight of me though.
Cavey

8th Feb 09 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What was the industrial building one? The disused waterworks in Chesterfield?

Was a massive building if it was, the most recent one was the "watermill" which looked a heap of crap, and he didn't get finished because of the local council and planning permission.

I reckon i've seen most of them now, they're on More4 at 7 when there's nothing else on TV
Seany

8th Feb 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a way round getting planning, I saw it on grand designs a while ago. The man hid his house for 4 years behind bails of hay and a large metal barn, because if nobody complains about it to the city then they cant make you take it down after the 4 years
mwg

8th Feb 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey

Was a massive building if it was, the most recent one was the "watermill" which looked a heap of crap, and he didn't get finished because of the local council and planning permission.

I reckon i've seen most of them now, they're on More4 at 7 when there's nothing else on TV

that watermill one was a joke.

the guy was quite clearly a bit mental wanting to build a watermill on the side of a hill where there is no stream.

the planning department were a bunch of muppets aswell.

his neighbours were complete and utter cunts.
AndyKent

8th Feb 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first one of the series looked good, very good quality but I don't believe for a minute what he said he spent on it.

We had a quick look over some past figures in our office an reckon it must have cost at least twice what the guy said.
AndyKent

8th Feb 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Seany
there is a way round getting planning, I saw it on grand designs a while ago. The man hid his house for 4 years behind bails of hay and a large metal barn, because if nobody complains about it to the city then they cant make you take it down after the 4 years

Not exactly practical though.

Plus, we have had clients pulled up on stuff without permission due to officers taking a look at aerial photographs (albeit commercial or storage areas rather than residential)
a_j_mair

8th Feb 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cosmo you not get planning permission with the conversion of redundant farm buildings

I know planning policies are all different but we have got permission for alot of farm developments up here, arse has fallen out it for the development side of things recently though

All are done as 4/5 units to develop and sell normally rather than an individual doing it for a house to live in.

as for grand designs, the mans timber mill building being stored for 9 months in a garage surprised he managed to build it, thought it was far to high as soon as you saw it. Would have been far better cut into the hillside and the cladding would ahve been 100% better not paited that hideous brown imo
Cosmo

9th Feb 09 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
cosmo you not get planning permission with the conversion of redundant farm buildings

I know planning policies are all different but we have got permission for alot of farm developments up here, arse has fallen out it for the development side of things recently though

All are done as 4/5 units to develop and sell normally rather than an individual doing it for a house to live in.

I think the problem was that we wanted to join the farmhouse and barn (approx a 5m gap between) so we could have one single dwelling. The area is full of massive houses so it wouldnt of been out of place, but they had a policy where barns could only be converted for use by farm workers (living or storage).

The stupid thing is it is close to colapse now after this bad weather and with the market how it is and the planning how it is I seriously doubt anyone will save it before it goes - so the council are going to end up either letting a ruin stand or allowing a new build.
M2RTY

9th Feb 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

I think the problem was that we wanted to join the farmhouse and barn (approx a 5m gap between) so we could have one single dwelling. The area is full of massive houses so it wouldnt of been out of place, but they had a policy where barns could only be converted for use by farm workers (living or storage).

The stupid thing is it is close to colapse now after this bad weather and with the market how it is and the planning how it is I seriously doubt anyone will save it before it goes - so the council are going to end up either letting a ruin stand or allowing a new build.

thing is if they let one person do it, this will open the flood gates for many more
Cosmo

9th Feb 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
thing is if they let one person do it, this will open the flood gates for many more

Not really as its probably one of the last unconverted barns in the area.

And surely letting people convert them into single dwellings, in an area full of massive houses anyway, is better than letting it go to ruin as it is?
Nath

9th Feb 09 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Was that the woman who put a mini in there to use as a desk?!

As for the watermill, it was utter gash. The bloke was well strange too. Didn't seem like his marriage was water tight either.
Marc

9th Feb 09 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched it last week with the idiot "neighbours" complaining about the height of the house and the balconys, stupid thing was you couldn't see any surrounding houses for miles!
a_j_mair

9th Feb 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my experience you would want to get permission to convert the barn on its own to start with, with a basic design. Once it has planning then you can start to adjust the plans incorporate the farm house etc and meet in the middle with planners

Often easier that way as once it has already got planning they cannot refuse it as such
Cosmo

9th Feb 09 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
in my experience you would want to get permission to convert the barn on its own to start with, with a basic design. Once it has planning then you can start to adjust the plans incorporate the farm house etc and meet in the middle with planners

Often easier that way as once it has already got planning they cannot refuse it as such

We werent spending £1.2m on a barn and farmhouse without planning permission to join them both up before hand
Cavey

9th Feb 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

Was that the woman who put a mini in there to use as a desk?!

As for the watermill, it was utter gash. The bloke was well strange too. Didn't seem like his marriage was water tight either.

Yeah, was the mini desk one, they're main room was massive! The desk was pretty cool though
Tiesto

9th Feb 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watermill one was utter shite.

Do enjoy the program. If i did do one it would have to be one of those Huff-House ones where its all premade in germany and they come over and put it up for you.

New Poll