corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virgin Media Bundle or SKY Bundle?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virgin Media Bundle or SKY Bundle?
MarkM

User status: Offline
13th Jan 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently have my TV with SKY...and my phone and broadband with BT...

Looking to go with a bundle of one of the above. Who has what and how much?

SKY have offered me:

TV - Everything including Sky sports etc except for movies (dont watch them)
Broadband - 2MB
Phone - Free evenings and weekends

Cost £39.50 (inlcudes line rental for phone)

Probably would prefer to be with Virgin Media as there broadband packages are better...

What am I likely to pay? Had a scout around the website but wanting to know what I could actually blag if I called...

Used to work for VM too!!
Scotty_B

13th Jan 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with Virgin Media and have the following:

XL - TV (everything apart from Sports/Movies
L - Phone (Free after 6pm and weekends)
M - BB (2mb)
V+

£34.85pm
MarkM

13th Jan 09 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you have to pay for the V+ box and installation?

Ojc

13th Jan 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad this question come up.

Is there a download limit or useage limit on the Sky broadband? What's it generally like if say I'm on Xbox live and my mum is using the laptop? Am I going to get pissed off compared with my current 8mb AOL connection?
Voyto

13th Jan 09 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have...

Sky+ (Free Box) with everything except movies/sports/kids/home improvement channels
2MB BB
Free calls after 6 and @ weekends

£19 / month
MarkM

13th Jan 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Voyto
I have...

Sky+ (Free Box) with everything except movies/sports/kids/home improvement channels
2MB BB
Free calls after 6 and @ weekends

£19 / month

How?
Ojc

13th Jan 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just signed up for Sky Sports Package, Variety package, Broadband on 16mb connection no limit on useage, Telephone, Sky Plus and an extra Sky box for £65 a month.
MarkM

13th Jan 09 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just signed up for:

Sky Sports package, Entertainment mix (4 packs)...Broadband at 2MB (will upgrade this if it starts to piss me off)...telephone free evening/weekend calls (free line rental too)...

For £37.50 a month

Happy with that...will look into the HD box and package in a few months...
Ojc

13th Jan 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had to pay £20 extra a month for the extra Sky Box and the unlimted broadband as the standard package is a 40GB limit and with us having 2 laptops and a PC and my XBoxLive connection that would soon get used up.

[Edited on 13-01-2009 by Ojc]
MarkM

13th Jan 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully SKY aren't shite for broadband...they use the BT exchanges I believe which I haven't had a problem with in a year...
MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do BT make it so fucking hard to get my MAC code from them!!!

Just called the MAC code department...I'm at work so have no account details with me. Got through to an advisor who gets me to confirm my name, address, phone number and telephone number... then tries to convince me to stay for nearly ten minutes. I eventually say no as SKY have offered me free BB and ask for my MAC code. The cunt then tells me he cant give me it as I dont have my account number! So it's ok to discuss possible deals with a customer regarding their account by when you need to leave they want an account number!!

This is exactly the reason I have decided to leave...
Ojc

14th Jan 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to go through this bullshit later to get the MAC code from AOL.
mwg

14th Jan 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are having this problem with Orange. Trying to get the MAC number off them is like getting blood from a stone
John

14th Jan 09 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There were laws put in place to stop ISP's being arseholes about MAC's.

They have to provide it within 5 days (they generate it instantly) and as long as you can give your phone number and confirm your identity they shouldn't need your account number.
MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There were laws put in place to stop ISP's being arseholes about MAC's.

They have to provide it within 5 days (they generate it instantly) and as long as you can give your phone number and confirm your identity they shouldn't need your account number.

If it wasn't for the fact I was in work I would have given them a mouth full of very colourful language.

MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In December 2006, Ofcom issued a new set of rules that make support for the Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) that facilitates migrations on DSL platforms compulsory with effect from 14 February 2007. These rules do not affect cable, wireless or satellite broadband providers. The MAC process currently applies to migrations both from and to IPStream, Datastream and shared LLU products. For fully unbundled products the rules do not apply at this time, but as suitable processes become available providers are expected to comply. It is also worth pointing out that the new rules do not apply for home moves, or where the broadband connection is not live.
The key points of the new compulsory General Condition 22 are shown below. The full statement on migrations can be read on the Ofcom website.
• Broadband Service Providers must supply a MAC on request within 5 working days
• Providers must accept a MAC where a customer provides a valid one. This does not prevent a provider from refusing to supply a service to a customer for other business reasons (e.g. credit worthiness, etc.)
• The provider is not allowed to charge for issuing a Migration Authorisation Code
• Compulsory issuing of a MAC only applies to connections for consumers or small businesses (with less than 10 employees)
• The provider cannot withhold a MAC for the purposes of debt collection, or for contractual reasons
• Where a customer requests a MAC inside their minimum contract period the customer will still be liable for any contractual obligations (e.g. charges for any minimum contract periods, etc.)
• If a MAC cannot be issued, the provider will explain why
• Providers should offer the customer reasonable assistance in migrating from/to another provider
• Wholesale providers must issue a MAC to their resellers (not end users) and cannot withhold it even if there are contractual disputes
• The provider must not disconnect a customers service if a MAC is requested
• The retail broadband provider must provide two different ways to obtain a MAC (e.g. by phone, by post, by website form)
• When a MAC is issued the provider will also provide its expiry date
• A provider must re-issue a MAC on subsequent requests if the previous MAC has expired
There are four situations where a broadband provider can refuse to issue a MAC:
1. When a Broadband Service Provider is unable to verify the identity of the person requesting the MAC
2. Where the broadband service contract has already been terminated
3. An existing valid MAC has already been issued; it is expected that the provider will simply remind the customer of the existing MAC code
4. When a provider has already issued a cease order, and the provider is now unable to obtain a MAC for the line

Number one of the reasons to refuse is to point!!! I confirmed my identity by answering all the DPA questions!!

Idiots I tell thee.

They will be getting a piece of my mind tonight...

MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done.

Fucking muppets man.

New Poll