corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ripping DVD's to AVI

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ripping DVD's to AVI
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 09 at 02:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to use some freeware to backup all my current DVD's into AVI format.

I want to do it so that if my collection gets stolen at any point, I have a copy of them all on my external hard drive, but I also want to load them onto my PS3, as I'm using it as a bit of a media centre.

To try to save a bit of space, I want the films to be compressed to around 700MB, the same as a downloaded movie. I've tried using DVDShrink tonight, but the smallest it can compress to is around 2000MB.

Any ideas? Thanks
BlueCorsa

3rd Jan 09 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Xilisoft DVD Ripper, don't think it's freeware though, might have to get a 'special' copy.
Aaron

3rd Jan 09 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DVD Decrypter and AutoGK

Both free
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Jan 09 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want to use them only on ps3 then go with the method your wanting to use, if you have problems with the dvd drcrypter aaron mentioned try dvdfab does the same, if the ps3 is just an option look at converting to mkv, its far superior and a like for like film both with file sizes of 1500mb say the mkv will be far better, hopefully the ps3 will support mkv soon although i havent heard much. If your interested in media centres check out the Western Digital media player, that should cover all your needs http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7977460/Western-Digital-WD-TV-HD-Media-Player/Product.html
i went with a similar thing over using my ps3 as it was far more versatile

New Poll