corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hmmm, am I missing something here...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hmmm, am I missing something here...
ed

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 08 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at buying a Dell Studio laptop some time soon and I'm just checking the prices...

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I've noticed they all have the same:

Processor
OS
Display
GPU
Optical Drive
Warranty

The only thing that differs from the base spec is the HDD and the RAM. So I go and price it up using the cheapest system and spec it with a 250gb HDD and 3gb RAM and the cost is less than the system that comes with that spec as base.

Is there something I'm not taking into account, or are Dell just praying on the ignorant?
John

3rd Oct 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They all have varying specs when I go to that page, mostly similar but more ram, truelife display (con) etc.

I've done what you've done before though so just do it whatever way is the cheapest.
deano87

3rd Oct 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Is there something I'm not taking into account, or are Dell just praying on the ignorant?

Just praying on the ignorant really.

Dad needed 2 new PC's for his business. The same spec PC's were cheaper via 'Small-Medium Business' than 'Home Office' or something.

EDIT: It's a bit like Sainsbury's Basics loo roll. A lot cheaper than their normal Sainsburys brand, but you also get less on the roll, yet the same amount of rolls. False economy n'all that.

[Edited on 03-10-2008 by deano87]
John

3rd Oct 08 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The same spec pc's on the small to medium business page would have most likely been priced without vat and delivery.
ed

3rd Oct 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, missed the part about the processors having faster FSB's and cache's, but seeing as I'm just buying this to take notes and word process, that shouldn't be a issue.
deano87

3rd Oct 08 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The same spec pc's on the small to medium business page would have most likely been priced without vat and delivery.

They were, bit it still worked out cheaper
ed

3rd Oct 08 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just trying to think if it's worth getting the 1440x900 display over the 1280x800. The thing is only a 15" It's £80 extra, this is the frustrating thing about not being able to see it before you pay up...
John

3rd Oct 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1280x800 does the job i'd always take the higher res if the money was available though.

In saying that though, if it's only for use in uni for reading and typing up it could very well be a waste of £80.
ed

3rd Oct 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'll go for it because I'm going to get it on the buy now pay later thing they have on offer at the moment if I can figure out if I can just pay the balance off in one go rather than having to do the finance for god knows how many years
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

3rd Oct 08 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its got vista make sure it has enough cache to cope with it, nothing worse than slow vista
John

3rd Oct 08 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When have you came across a pc with not enough cahce on the processor to cope with vista
ed

4th Oct 08 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slow XP is bad though. As is slow OSX and anything else

New Poll