corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pay-as-you-drive tax on the way?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pay-as-you-drive tax on the way?
AlunJ

User status: Offline
19th Aug 08 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
I knew before I opened this thread that people would be saying they are leaving the country if this happens you wont actually though will you

can't see why not tbh...
Paul_J

19th Aug 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm all for it.

Astra I'm buying is 228g/km, threshold is 225 so thats £400 for that. Freelander is reasonable as I use that the most at 200 quid but the Corsa and Disco are £185 each for 1000 miles pa between them. Daft.

I wonder why the government just raised all the tax bands so immensely

So that people can turn around and say 'well pay as you drive road tax is really good value, I'm paying £400 for x / y / z'

If it was never £400 in the first place it'd not be so desirable

I hate that with the government, they make things worse so that other things look a better option (which compared to how it was originally was worse!).
Nath

19th Aug 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nova_gteuk
I'd say its more to do with the goverment tracking and knowing your every movemnt.

Before long this country will be like Tibet.

AHHHHHHHHH BIG BROTHER!!!!

Jeeeez
Jake

19th Aug 08 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i annoys me that something that can track where and when you drive your car isn't against the human rights act or something
Adam_B

19th Aug 08 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting the cost onto fuel wont happen in a million years, firstly because the Government would loose shit loads of cash and secondly because it is actually a good idea. We dont do sensible good ideas in this country.
BarnshaW

19th Aug 08 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as much as i hate nova gteuk i think he is right, country is becoming like big brother and soon will have full control over people and what they are doing at any one moment. then introduce fear into people and take over the world.
Robin
Premium Member

19th Aug 08 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds ok to me, the market will be flooded with devices which can fool the black box into thinking you're doing less miles, so it's a winner in my book
CorsAsh

19th Aug 08 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd attach mine to my dog.
BarnshaW

19th Aug 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh

surely a non moving object maybe better....
James_DT

19th Aug 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not against pay-per-mile road pricing as an idea. I am, however, against being charged a fortune for using the roads at peak times. I don't drive to work at the same time as everyone else for fun, it's because I need to.
Stop taxing people heavily for things they need to do, and more people will be on board.

edit: Whatever happened to pay-as-you-drive insurance? The two together would make having a second car for the weekend cheaper.

[Edited on 19-08-2008 by James_DT]
CorsAsh

19th Aug 08 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh

surely a non moving object maybe better....
Which is exactly why I'd attach it to my dog.
BarnshaW

19th Aug 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL gotcha. PETA may disaprove
CorsAsh

19th Aug 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't care less if All Torque approves.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 08 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
unless they scrap all tax being paid on fuel at present and start again with a new pay as you drive tax added to the fuel.
Pay as you drive on fuel is how it works now. They just need more of that and no RFL. Fairer, actually reflective of environmental impact, would actually affect the driving habits of those with low MPG cars, more difficult to defraud, easier to collect and cheaper to administer. This banded paperwork system is a complete botch compared to the elegance of a fuel based system.

And before you ask, yes coaches already get remission, no reason why this couldn't continue and be extended to goods vehicles, farmers, whoever.

Black box my ass. What sensible human being would attempt to roll out such a device when there's already a method which is considerably easier. Utter poppycock.
CorsAsh

19th Aug 08 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poppycock

Are you 76?
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

19th Aug 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the moment they try and fit black boxes into cars, there will be wannabe auto electricians on every dodgy council estate in the country charging 50 quid and a pack of lambert and butler to fiddle them.

I really cant see how a secure black box system could ever work, with basic equipment I am sure they could be 'modified', after all, for about #2k you can buy equipment to bypass most modern day 'can' based car immobiliser systems, reset service info, swap ecu files around, change milage etc.... cant see a retro fitted system being hard at all to get past.
Neo

19th Aug 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pay 120 tax a year on mine, which, devided over the 12 months is a tenner a month. i use about 180 litres a month on fuel, so a tenner on 180 litres = 0.05. so half a penny increase.....it'll be considerably more.

if its done on a mileage basis, then fuel efficient cars will get battered and they shouldn't

not sure how they would control it tbh
James_DT

19th Aug 08 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd assume that high-MPG, and fuel efficient cars would get some kind of discount, or there wouldn't really be an incentive to buy one.
mad_mike252

19th Aug 08 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not going 2. happen the government is cunt
chrex

19th Aug 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i#ll take the box out and wire it up to summit in my garage ....

And now and again go for a walk
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 08 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
I'd assume that high-MPG, and fuel efficient cars would get some kind of discount, or there wouldn't really be an incentive to buy one.
There already is - they use less fuel.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pay-as-you-drive tax on the way? 23 database queries in 0.0149770 seconds