corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » asking for a deposit when selling in England

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author asking for a deposit when selling in England
C2RL R

User status: Offline
16th Jul 08 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my house has just gone back on the market for the 8th time in 19 months due to more fucking timewasters. i'm getting very very annoyed with dick head potential buyers putting in offers and then pulling out a month or so later.

whats the script with asking for a deposit? i know i should discuss this with my estate agent but i wouldn't mind a bit of advice before i approach them.

am i legally entitled to ask for a deposit to hopefully deter timewasters? how much can i ask for and who holds onto the money?
myke

16th Jul 08 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i should think legally you can do what you like as you don't even need an estate agent if you want to market the house yourself etc.

I'd be more concerned that you're going to put off potential buyers the minute you mention it.
You'd have to tell them the whole story i imagine to get a bit of sympathy, and not ask for a silly amount of money.

Don't forget that most first time buyers wouldn't actually be able to scrape together enough money to put down as a deposit as they've probably got the bare minimum required by the mortgage lender in the first place.

Have you been asking your agent to confirm there financial standing when you receive an offer?
C2RL R

16th Jul 08 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes every time. they have backed out at various stages. some before the survey some after.

i've had all sorts of excuses. the most recent was that the buyers parents were paying the deposit but now they aren't. they wanted me to knock 10k off as that is how much they are short.

not sure if that is the truth or just bullshit people say to get money off. its pissing me off because everytime i agree to sell to these twats, my solicitors bill gets bigger and bigger. plus it makes it look as though the house has something wrong with it due to it going on and off the market so often.
EarlofBarnet

16th Jul 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must be a proper headache, gutted for you. Maybe seek some independant advice from Citizens Advice, they should be able to give you the crack. Good luck!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

26th Jul 08 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you swapped agents yet?

Sounds a bit like a shit agent that is making up phoney offers

There isn't anything you can do to make sure that they buy your house. They can pull anytime out up until exchange of contracts. Remember that they are losing money too for survey fees etc. Is anything coming up on the survey? Perhaps you should be prepared to chip a bit off the sale price or get the works done if it's bad?

Also worth remembering how much is out there at the moment. Rightmove stats say it's 1 buyer to every 15 houses at the moment. Couple that with desperate agents that NEED sale monies to be coming in, they'll do anything to get your buyer round to another house.

It's all pretty shit at the moment

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
VegasPhil
Premium Member

26th Jul 08 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS: I take it you've swapped agents during 19 months marketing? If not get that notice handed in

Make sure there isn't a gap in the marketing though, or you'll have to pay for a rip-off HIP pack.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

New Poll