corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Running in

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running in
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

User status: Offline
24th May 08 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the block has been bored or bored and honed it will need running in. Best method is to run an engine in on a dyno but thats not always available so try this method:

use cheap multigrade mineral oil, no semi synthetics.
get the engine oil pressure up by cranking the engine over with no fuel or spark.
once you have sufficient oil pressure reconnect fuel and spark.
start up the engine, keep revs up to about 1500 rpm and check for leaks.
go for a drive, accelerate quickly and smoothly using 3/4 throttle and 3/4 revs.
when you get up to 3/4 revs allow the engine to coast down in gear back to 1500 rpm.
do this accelerate and coast down method at least 15 times.
slowly build up the acceleration rate and throttle amount as well as revs over another 10 runs.
get car home, drop the oil, change filter and fill up with semi synth oil and new filter.
drive the car normally for a further 500 miles, using it moderately hard.
change oil again.
job done.

If you try and run it in too carefully then you wont clean the hone off the bores and this may lead to piston ring damage or burning oil. A lot depends on the grade of honing finish.
binner

User status: Offline
24th May 08 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lots of differant opinions there, im just going by what the firm told me to do that i got the engine from, after all they gave me 12 month warantee so they must have some idea

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Running in 23 database queries in 0.0089152 seconds