corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Track brakes/suspension

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track brakes/suspension
Dave McB

User status: Offline
6th Mar 08 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lookin to build a 2.0 corsa and use as a track day race car, but very curious about suspension and brake set ups.

Firstly, i know most people use 2.0 astra/cav front discs and pads, but is the rear drum/shoe setup adequate for heavy braking?
I plan to use mintex extreme pads @ the front, but is there any uprated shoes/drums or should i convert to discs @ the rear?

As for suspension, is it better to use any uprated springs to cope with the weight, or should i use either diesel front springs or work out lbs rating and speak to demon tweeks etc?

Thx

DMC
AK

6th Mar 08 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mintex extreme are really just a fast road pad.
If it is serious track work go for Ferrodo DS3000's. Cant fault them (when warm)

My old corsa felt over braked and never suffered from fade.

It was running 300mm vented/grooved discs, with HiSpec billet 4 piston calipers and Mintex 1155 pads. The rears were drum. Get the balance right and you'll be fine.

Front springs.... upwards of 300lb springs will be good, but stiff on road if thats on the cards too.
mantamark

6th Mar 08 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got to remember the Corsa will be carrying a lot less wieght than what the xe came out of originally, so the 256mm setup is more than good enough for a corsa.

Suspension, theres a few people selling the correct poundage springs for xe converted corsas, but, depending on the state of trim in the corsa, you may wish to work the rears out yourself?

I'm going to be running 288mm disks with vaux pads, found this to be a very good setup, bar the long pedal.

Never thought ive needed rear disks though, engine is at the front, front brakes can stop that, rear shoes do minimal work, unless you want to set it up with a bias valve & rear disks, i wouldnt bother myself.
AK

6th Mar 08 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vaux pads???
Graham88

6th Mar 08 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Presuming it'll be stripped too, I've always thought rear disks would have a negative effect on the car as there is too much braking on a light rear end.

Even on drums, braking hard my back could sometimes flick out and that's with full interior.
AK

6th Mar 08 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...that'll be because you havent set the bias up properly
mantamark

6th Mar 08 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, vauxhall pads are pretty cool imo.

Dont have any problems with fade, but thats just spirited road driving, not hit the track yet, as the ruddy thing is still in the garage.
AK

6th Mar 08 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok.... wouldnt think they'd cope with a few hard laps
mantamark

6th Mar 08 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly true, i will find out at my first outing

Will take some of those sexy mintex jobbies as spares.

Still like the idea of the greenstuff pads, minimal dust = easier life, but dont know how they cope out on the track?
AK

6th Mar 08 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are complete shite
mantamark

6th Mar 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There you go then

Will just make do with lots of dust
SportBoy

6th Mar 08 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would think 2ltr or v6s with decent pads/brake fluid would do the job
Rob B

7th Mar 08 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god green stuff are the worst of worse, worse than standard even from my experience. Ive got Ferado ds2500 cant fault them, just changed my suspension to FK konigsport's with koni dampers and it sticks to the road like glue now aswell
Lucky B

19th Mar 08 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave, what tyres are you planning on using?

Sticky tyres = stiffer springs & stronger damping.

As for brakes, as AK mentioned the Mintex 1155's on 2.0l size brakes should be fine for your needs... some braided lines wouldn't go a miss either and the rear drums will be fine.
broster
Premium Member

21st Mar 08 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rear drums will be up to the job, however wit ha properly set up rear disc conversion you wont believe the difference it makes, i have done the rear disc conversion to my car about 4years ago, wouldnt go back to drums for the difference it made.
Ant

21st Mar 08 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found that the stopping power on 256mm set up was great though te standard corsa m/c and rear bias set up is not up to much si have got rid of it to run a compbrake pedal box with the right size m/c in it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Track brakes/suspension 23 database queries in 0.0111210 seconds