corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Future Electronic Music!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Future Electronic Music!
Tiger

User status: Offline
12th Feb 08 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Yamaha-TENORI-ON~ID~7759.asp

Check out the movies - its opening many doors of possibility!

Ben.
Dom

12th Feb 08 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so it's just an input device? doubt it's the future for the music industry in terms of inputing data, plus the use of illuminated LED matrix (ie: if a switch is lit when the cursor comes to that beat, the sampler/synth plays x sample/sound, if it's not lit it doesn't) has been around for years, just check out early samplers.

What is a good device is the ReacTable synth, Bjork has had one built for her already (for stage use) and it's pretty damn impressive - http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/
Tiger

12th Feb 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
so it's just an input device? doubt it's the future for the music industry in terms of inputing data, plus the use of illuminated LED matrix (ie: if a switch is lit when the cursor comes to that beat, the sampler/synth plays x sample/sound, if it's not lit it doesn't) has been around for years, just check out early samplers.

What is a good device is the ReacTable synth, Bjork has had one built for her already (for stage use) and it's pretty damn impressive - http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/

I know what you mean about LED's - all my gear works the same - its just the inuitive way it works, its an x/y axis intelligent interphase with analogue control - i.e. the longer you press the led for, the loop changes, you can play 16 parts at once but all on one big LED square. You can make the interphase look like a game of pong pretty much but obviously it's all making music as it goes. I think its an amazing bit of kit - its been hailed as ingenius by most of the big names in electronic sound synthesis.
Dom

13th Feb 08 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't get me wrong, it looks good but it is only an interface/midi controller (unless i've completly missed where it states it's a sampler or synth) and if thats the case, i'd rather stick to using pads, octopad etc, if it was to trigger stuff of. Although it does look quite cool for live performances (don't really see where it would be used for production), but i think it'd take a while to master it and again, i think using pads would be a lot easier to deal with etc.
Tiger

13th Feb 08 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does produce its own synthesized sounds.

I think its one of those things that because its the first of its type for anywhere near a reasonable price then it will pave the way for development into other areas. I reckon its pretty versatile, probably uses midi which is good for on the fly live sequencer stuff too.

Even if its not of much use now - give it a couple of years when the other companies are introducing it or incorporating it into workstations etc I reckon it might just become highly usable.
dave17

13th Feb 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw this on the gadget show a few months ago, dont really see it as a production tool seems too random to me. Cant beat banging out a tune on the midi keyboard to be honest
Dom

13th Feb 08 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A good video is > HERE < that shows it off, but like i say, they had this style of interface on a lot of samplers and you have software like Fruityloops that took the interface a digitized it. Take a look > HERE < - it's a home kit you can build, but this is exactly what early samplers used for an interface (this is what i mean that the Tenori-On is doing nothing new, apart from being a little bigger and having multiple layers).
But i still don't see it being the furture of inputing, it's just a new spin of old technology in a funky box. I don't think it'll catch on and can only see it as a "gadget" rather than a professional tool.

However, things like the ReacTable, although nothing new in terms of the produced synthesized sound, the whole interface is completly new, using new technology. Again i don't think it's the future, but atleast it's new technology being used to create sound.

Still i think the Tenori-on is a cool device but it's not going to replace current methods (conventional midi controllers - keyboards, pads, glove) or become the future for music production.
Tiger

13th Feb 08 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Midi is here to stay, there's no doubt about it.

The Tenori-On will just become a new form of Kaos Pad eventually.
Dom

13th Feb 08 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Midi is here to stay, there's no doubt about it.

The Tenori-On will just become a new form of Kaos Pad eventually.

Said like that, then yeah but the Kaos pad is pretty cool and was completly different at the time using 3 axis touchpad, where as the Tenori-On is just a spin on old technolgy.
But don't get me wrong, i do think it's cool but it's not the future by any means - plus it's pretty damn expensive, and that sequencier interface i showed can be built for under a £100 (though you need an external sound module etc).
Tiger

13th Feb 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For 60 quid you can get a 3 octave midi keyboard though and run it through an ext. seq (if you already have one) I got 3 I use, sound module, keyboard based synth and midi keyboard. I dont think its expensive - if you can use it. I'm looking at the Roland Vsynth GT and thats well over a grand.

[Edited on 13-02-2008 by Tiger]

New Poll