corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake Wear Monitor-Keeps lighting up despite new pads/discs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake Wear Monitor-Keeps lighting up despite new pads/discs
Welsh Dan

User status: Offline
10th Feb 08 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Righto. My sister has a 2000 Beetle, with the 2.0 engine. Recently, the brake wear indicator has been lighting up about 2 minutes into a journey and staying on for the remainder of the journey. We were advised when it was serviced previously that the rear pads/discs would need changing at some point in the near future and so I assumed that the light was related to the rear pads/discs. I changed both pads and discs over today, whilst noticing that the old items were not excessively worn (although were close to the limits). I drove the car and the brakes feel absolutely fine, but the brake wear indicator still comes on. It had the brake fluid changed/topped up about two months ago and was within the correct levels when I changed it today.

The front pads and discs were changed a few months ago and so have plenty of material left. Any suggestions? Could it be a faulty sensor? If so, where is the brake wear sensor located on these?
Seany

10th Feb 08 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe the sensor needs reset or something
Welsh Dan

10th Feb 08 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I thought that, but apparently not. I'm going to remove the fronts next weekend and check the sensors on them.
Martin_C

10th Feb 08 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brake fluid level?
Ian W

10th Feb 08 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming its the same kind of setup as my 2000 S3 then it will just be a bad connection on the wear indicator, mine has new bads but the wire had snapped so the indicator was still showing up.

Just connect the wires together and it will go away.

Only have the indicator on the front as well.
Welsh Dan

10th Feb 08 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian > Ta for that. I thought it might be the case, but after having spent most of the day doing the bloody things, i'll check the fronts in the week.
Ian W

10th Feb 08 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a case of jacking it up and whipping the wheel off, bout 10 minutes so not a bad job really
Welsh Dan

10th Feb 08 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, shouldn't be too bad. The rears were the original brakes, so everything was a bit stuck and the pistons needed to be twisted, rather than pushed back into the caliper. Worst comes to worst, i'll replace the pads and discs at the front too, as its due in for MOT soon anyway and it won't cost more than £50 or so. Trade prices FTW.

Steve
Premium Member

10th Feb 08 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv replied to your thread on vagweb

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake Wear Monitor-Keeps lighting up despite new pads/discs 23 database queries in 0.0112610 seconds