corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT-Quick Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT-Quick Question
Willox

User status: Offline
31st Jan 08 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my m.o.t today and it came back with a fail because it is fitted with a magnex backbox and a stainless steel centre section.Apparently to get it passed I need to pay the garage £38+vat for a new one because the old one had to be cut off so that it has a silencer because an m.o.t requires a silencer to pass,is this correct
mark_gsi

31st Jan 08 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope just a cat
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does need a silencer but that's what your back box is
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i have been told they have had to order a new standard centre section to fit for the m.o.t because it is not passing it with the stainless steel one as there is no silencers.Ok i have a magnex backbox but yeh i thought the same,its still a silencer Not too sure i want to pay for 40-odd quid for a new centre section just to pass an m.o.t when it still has a cat and effectively is a cat-back system which seem to pass m.o.t's all day long without problem
big eck

31st Jan 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The garage is talkin bollocks mate as long as it isnt blowing from anywhere and has at least 1 silencer then it will pass
scotts v6

31st Jan 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trying to have u over mate a no loads of people that dont have them my mates corsa is well loud and passes
scottyp1989

31st Jan 08 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an if they'v got to cut it off its basically ruind the exhaust you paid for. IMO i wouldnt let them do it, insted of giving them £40 to wreck the exhaust you have on there now to put a standard middle box back on i would just take it to another mot station an give them the £40 for another MOT
random dav
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it to another garage and if it passes claim the MOT fee back of the original garage

WRLFC !

Project cars
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've actually ordered the part? I'm guessing you haven't asked them to?

I'd advise taking it elsewhere, you do have the option to appeal but all that means is you have to pay for another test at an MOT station specified by VOSA, which could be anywhere in the UK

May be aswell finding another test station, and ask before you let them do it, if it would fail, I know it means paying out again but if it's only failed on a LEGAL exhaust then it should just be the test fee again
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The garage i put it to is a new local garage and they stick the cars out to another local garage i think it is to get the mot done due to not having mot sertification through yet to do it themselves but he said once it's passed the mot with the standard section on it he will happily take it to his garage and re-fit the stainless steel one,basicly if he is telling me the truth,which going by you guys he isnt,my mot wont be legit
Pucci1

31st Jan 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another test station defo mate
scottyp1989

31st Jan 08 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye another station, hes just tryin to make some money out of you by the souds of it
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea.Definately gonna either phone him first thing tomorrow or question it when i get a call saying it's ready because i couldn't understand it myself
scottyp1989

31st Jan 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if he is goin to charge you £40 for a new middle piece, fit it, take it for MOT then fit your middle piece back on after it has pased tell him to do it but send the middle piece back when he gets the car back as you are not goin to need it so no need to pay him £40
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but will i not still need to pay for the new section even if i tell him to send it back? the bottom line is either him or the mot centre he uses is speaking shite but i'm no mechanic so dont wanna go in guns blazing questioning why when at the end of the day his knowledge of cars is,or at least should be higher than mine
scotts v6

31st Jan 08 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did u ask him to get the part if not you shunt pay for it mate i wont pay for something i dint ask for
B3KAN

31st Jan 08 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell them to fit your old centre section back on
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt ask for him to get it,he just said i would need one in order for it to pass and he would order it once he was off the phone to me and it would be there bout 9am tomorrow
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by B3KAN
Tell them to fit your old centre section back on

I know i should have but was on the phone to him at work and wasn't reallly meant to be answering calls,but never asked him what he did with the old one.I presumed it would pass the mot so when he asked this morning what condition it was in and would I be needing it back I just said no I wont be needing it
yozzer2008

31st Jan 08 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i took my car with middle silencer out and sportex backbox .and failed on headlamp to low and side repeaters not flashing rite colour how stupid
Willox

31st Jan 08 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it turns out that it has no reason to fail,as a mate is telling me if it failed on having no silencer then the probably havn't done an emmissions test,so if it is lack of silencers and it's incorrectly been failed i will go fuckin nuts

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT-Quick Question 24 database queries in 0.0154819 seconds