corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Blanked off EGR - still getting ECU light, misfire and fault code.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Blanked off EGR - still getting ECU light, misfire and fault code.
Phil

User status: Offline
21st Jan 08 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before christmas I had big problems with the car cutting out at random and bringing on the ECU light. A paperclip test showed a 1405 error "EGR Valve"

So, I blanked it off with a stainless steel plate secured between the EGR valve and the engine, in place of the standard gasket.

However, I am still getting the 1405 fault code. The ECU light comes on at the same point each day on the way home from work, while driving at a steady 30mph.

The engine is also mis-firing a lot of the time, frequesnty it feel slike its running on 3 cylinders, sometimes it feels like its just 2!! This is worse when the engine is cold and having blanked off the EGR it takes ages to get up to temperature - so its cold/misfiring nearly all the time.

The 1405 is the only fault code.

I changed the leads before I blanked off the EGR, cleaned the throttle body and cleaned the ICV.

Any ideas?
Stu_22

21st Jan 08 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its fooked its fooked blanking just stops the flow going through it but it still needs to work or think its working for the engine management light to go out
Phil

21st Jan 08 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would explain the fault code, but what about the other symptoms?
stingray1987

15th Jul 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does something sinmlar it comes on if doing a steady speed for a while or if high revs then the revs drop it comes on. when my light comes on it goes loads slower and doesnt seem to run well but i think when the engine light comes on it goes in safe mode and slows the car down.
AlexW

15th Jul 09 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have put the plate on and then bolted through the EGR valve theres your ecu light problem, the piston inside needs to be able to move, make it so its only held on with one bolt and swung out the way.

Also check your plugs and leads. Could be the cause for the shit running.

[Edited on 15-07-2009 by AW06]
Phil

17th Jul 09 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread is really old but has obviously been found by someone doing a search so here is an update.

In the end I foudn the easiest way to fix this problem was to change the EGR for a new one I got from a car aspares place. It cost about £70 and solved all the problems we had.

Its a pain to fit though but no more so that a blanking plate.

New Poll