corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Very intresting on laws of decat/having a cat

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Very intresting on laws of decat/having a cat
jr

User status: Offline
30th Nov 07 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[quote="Tony @ Greenlight"]Hi All,

Due to the area of de-catted exhaust systems being more than a little grey, we had historically maintained the stance that we would not offer terms for de-catted vehicles on the basis that this would potentially give any Insurer the ability to class a vehicle as non-roadworthy.

Whilst we had lobbied our respective scheme Insurers for clarification of their stance upon several occasions, we had never previously managed to obtain clarification from the Government agency as to their stance.

With this in mind we obtained the Government MOT tester's handbooks (inc the "In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles" operating manual) then set about pursuing DVLA and VOSA for a definitive answer in relation to catalytic converters.

The resulting advice received from a technical advisor at VOSA was that at this time it is not illegal to not have a catalytic converter fitted to your vehicle (post 1992 vehicles), but any vehicle post 1992 would be tested for emissions against the same pass criteria as though a catalyst was fitted.

Thus if your vehicle passes the emissions criteria whilst decatted the vehicle would be roadworthy.

VOSA's technical advisor indicated that this position may change in the future, but until this occurs Greenlight will now be able to accept De-Catted exhaust systems as a modification to your vehicle.

Kind regards

Tony
SetH

30th Nov 07 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting, thanks for sharing
TheCam

30th Nov 07 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hows it goni pass the emissions without a cat, emissions will be sky high
Baskey

30th Nov 07 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates 106 gti just passed the mot, and we cut all the shit out of the cat and sealed it back together again

corb

30th Nov 07 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about post-92 cars with a pre-92 engine? Perhaps you could try finding out jr, and clear it up once and for all? Go on, you know you want to!
Ste L

30th Nov 07 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also...

say you have a 93 nova 1L which never came with a cat, what would it be tested under
Toby
Premium Member

30th Nov 07 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TheCam
hows it goni pass the emissions without a cat, emissions will be sky high

your right!
but i beleive the point is the decat is legal untill the police prove that it isnt by having it fail the emissions test
TheCam

30th Nov 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see, so basically they cant pull the old "your cars illegal! its not got a cat" pish again.
Superlite Ltd.

30th Nov 07 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought this was common knowledge?

You dont need a cat, its just hard to pass emissions without one these days.

I hear you can on a Scooby mind
Mattb

30th Nov 07 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corb
What about post-92 cars with a pre-92 engine? Perhaps you could try finding out jr, and clear it up once and for all? Go on, you know you want to!

The vehicle is tested against whatever is oldest..

eg

1999 vehicle with 1989 engine = emmisions test for 1989 vehicle
1982 vehicle with 2002 engine = emmisions test for 1982 vehicle
willhouse

30th Nov 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc correctly, a good aftermarket engine map can mean that an engine can run without a cat and keep emmisions down

im sure Dave A will say if thats wrong or right
coke-gsi16v

30th Nov 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i took mine for m.o.t they told me that they dont have to put a the clip on as they can put it through as a no cat car (my car is 93 L) ? they said that some cars are registered late. he said some 92 J reg cars didnt get registered till right up till 94 so they have a bit of lee way when it comes to emmissions.
hope this is right feel free to correct me if im wrong
DJMartin07

30th Nov 07 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Making me feel better as I have a de-cat on my car (was fitted Monday) but where my college is, we have Beds police hq round the corner and a accident/ repair place where police vehicles get mended and I have yet to be pulled over.
Jake

30th Nov 07 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DJMartin07
Making me feel better as I have a de-cat on my car (was fitted Monday) but where my college is, we have Beds police hq round the corner and a accident/ repair place where police vehicles get mended and I have yet to be pulled over.

This depends on what sort of emissions your car is pushing out with the CAT. They'd have to be really low to pass with a decat.
DJMartin07

30th Nov 07 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
quote:
Originally posted by DJMartin07

This depends on what sort of emissions your car is pushing out with the CAT. They'd have to be really low to pass with a decat.

True, but atleast it doesn't smell fucked anymore.
Vaux Lad

30th Nov 07 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willhouse
iirc correctly, a good aftermarket engine map can mean that an engine can run without a cat and keep emmisions down

You can lean the map right off to get it through.
But it wouldn't pass on a "normal" map.
gavin18787
Premium Member

30th Nov 07 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vaux Lad
quote:

If thats the case you might as well have a cat

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
neil h

30th Nov 07 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or get something like a blufin so you can swap between maps with no real hassle.
Superlite Ltd.

30th Nov 07 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vaux Lad
quote:

But a lean mix has bad emissions too. Best emissions are at lambda 1
Steve X16XE

30th Nov 07 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I've always wanted to know about that.
corb

30th Nov 07 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so, matt, how does it work for my car then. 1996corsa with '89 engine converted to a turbo spec of a '94 engine. e.g. a turbo'd xe, hows that work?!! How can I prove the age of the engine?
Toby
Premium Member

1st Dec 07 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats your actual engine code, work with that, im guessing its still c20xe?
random dav
Premium Member

1st Dec 07 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used this for my MOT http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/7.3%20Emmissions%20-%20Spark%20Ignition%20-%20Passenger%20Cars%201992-2002.pdf

WRLFC !

Project cars
Mattb

1st Dec 07 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corb
so, matt, how does it work for my car then. 1996corsa with '89 engine converted to a turbo spec of a '94 engine. e.g. a turbo'd xe, hows that work?!! How can I prove the age of the engine?

being an 1989 block from an xe your engine code should be 20xej - not having a C prefix meaning non catalyst equiped

if they dont belive you, you can always ask to see the exact emmisions data for a 1996 corsa 2.0 turbo (which of course they cannot provide) they would then have to put the emmisions through on a basic test (this is the procedure for alot of imported vehicles iirc)

[Edited on 01-12-2007 by Mattb]
corb

2nd Dec 07 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine number has gone, replaced by a rebuild warranty code by the looks of it....

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Very intresting on laws of decat/having a cat 24 database queries in 0.1930389 seconds