corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » White greasy stuff in the header tank. . .

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author White greasy stuff in the header tank. . .
deano87

User status: Offline
10th Oct 07 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2000 W-reg 12v 72,600 miles.

I just checked my oil, which is fine. Consumption is next to nothing as well. Nothing under the filler cap.

I then thought I'd check inside the coolant header tank thing, and there is like greasy white stuff floating on top of the water and in the cap. The car had just done a long journey, and cooled down, so I don't think it'd be condensation.

Is this bad news?
Robbbbb

10th Oct 07 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not necessarily mate, the car running as it should? power still feels all there? any more than usual exhaust smoke? it using any water? if that lot is all good then i wouldn't worry too much just keep checking it every now and then under the oil filler and water etc, you could always do a compression test to give you peace of mind and/or try one of them things that you dip in to the water to see if it's contaminated with exhaust gasses but at this stage i wouldn't bother unless of course you start noticing any of the above questions coming in to effect!

Rob
deano87

10th Oct 07 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it isn't consuming any water.

I have no idea about the power, it's a 12v and slow, but doesn't really seem different to when I first got it.

It struggles to start sometimes and I have to give it a blip on the throttle. When it's warm and I start it up, it sometimes has a funny noise, like running water.

Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

10th Oct 07 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

short journeys? it is common to get condensation at this time of year as well which will cause a similar problem.
deano87

10th Oct 07 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
short journeys? it is common to get condensation at this time of year as well which will cause a similar problem.

I've checked the oil after a short journey before and had condensation under the oil filler cap.

This journey was about 25miles. Motorway as well, so I'd presume the engine was hot - is that classed as short?
Robbbbb

10th Oct 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That running water noise is usually an airlock in or around the heater matrix, i've had it a couple of times on various cars i've owned, a bubbling water noise just behind the dash, drain your coolant out and put fresh stuff in giving it a good bleed along the way and see if it comes back, it's probably not been done for ages?
deano87

10th Oct 07 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbbbb
That running water noise is usually an airlock in or around the heater matrix, i've had it a couple of times on various cars i've owned, a bubbling water noise just behind the dash, drain your coolant out and put fresh stuff in giving it a good bleed along the way and see if it comes back, it's probably not been done for ages?

The last time it was done was in February, when I had my crash and blew the radiator. That was about 5k miles ago, so that is all pretty fresh
deano87

10th Oct 07 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because mine seems to be at the early stages of the head gasket going, is it still ok to drive? Or should I just try and avoid it? As I said, it isn't consuming any water or oil
Jake

10th Oct 07 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a compression test done on it.
deano87

10th Oct 07 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
get a compression test done on it.

Getting that done Friday hopefully. Any idea if I should drive it, even at such an early stage?
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Online
10th Oct 07 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be fine
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

10th Oct 07 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask for a LEAKDOWN compression test. that way you can be confident that if compression is low, why it is low.

a normal compression test will only show if its low or not.
deano87

10th Oct 07 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
It'll be fine

Ok. I'll just take it very easy and not drive it unnecessarily. Luckily I can get to Uni without a car, just
deano87

12th Oct 07 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turns out the headgasket is fine.

He did a block test (I think it was that?!) with blue fluid in a syringe type thing on the coolant tank. And it didn't turn green, even after ages. It was idling so long the fan cut in, so it was pretty warm, and still no green-ness.

No idea what has caused the mayo stuff. He said no need to do a leakdown test as it's driving fine

What're more he didn't charge me

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by deano87]

New Poll