corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Help - Fence Posts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help - Fence Posts
JadeM
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Sep 07 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We need some fence posts no smaller than 13-15ft in length, I've searched everywhere but cant find any. Longest I can find are 10ft, is it possible to join them to lengthen them?
Cosmo

4th Sep 07 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wooden or concrete? And why so large, you want a 12ft fence or something?
JadeM
Premium Member

4th Sep 07 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Wooden or concrete? And why so large, you want a 12ft fence or something?

Either or, and yes we want to piss off our nosey neighbours!!!
Cosmo

4th Sep 07 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is their not some sort of restriction on fence heights?!

I'd plant some big trees and make a big hedge.
JadeM
Premium Member

4th Sep 07 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a long story tbh, neighbours were given planning permission to build a new house, on the grounds that they erected a 6ft fence on top of a 3ft wall to ensure our privacy. Council made a total balls of it, the 6ft fence is nowhere near high enough to give us privacy. Their house sits much higher than ours, and we have no privacy AT ALL, their bedroom window and sitting room face right over our back garden. Mum is well pissed off, she wants to put up a fence to give us back the privacy we had before the house was built
Cosmo

4th Sep 07 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just plant some massive conifers. Wont take up too much room and grow massive, much bigger than a fence!
JadeM
Premium Member

4th Sep 07 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Just plant some massive conifers. Wont take up too much room and grow massive, much bigger than a fence!

I'll go and browse for some. Mums ready to do something nasty to the neighbours I was hoping for a quick solution tbh
Cosmo

4th Sep 07 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM

can buy them at about 6ft+ already, and grow really quick so wont be long until they are well past the fence. If you've any luck they'll also block the light out of their house/garden.
K17STY

4th Sep 07 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

conifers will work ours are about 14ft high and they have all merged into one. Only problem is they are quite wide so you will lose a bit of space and a total midge haven.
p4uls corsa

4th Sep 07 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a fence cannot be above 2 meters, if anyone was to complain you would be made to take it down...
p4uls corsa

4th Sep 07 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its a long story tbh, neighbours were given planning permission to build a new house, on the grounds that they erected a 6ft fence on top of a 3ft wall to ensure our privacy. Council made a total balls of it, the 6ft fence is nowhere near high enough to give us privacy. Their house sits much higher than ours, and we have no privacy AT ALL, their bedroom window and sitting room face right over our back garden. Mum is well pissed off, she wants to put up a fence to give us back the privacy we had before the house was built

The reason why the council only put a 6ft fence up is because you can only legaly (sp) go to 6ft'6'' above ground level..
JadeM
Premium Member

4th Sep 07 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH its a farce, when planning permission was granted for this house, it was granted on the grounds that - to guarantee the privacy of the neighbours at No. 83 (our house) there had to be a 6ft close slatted fence erected around the south side of the property. As soon as the house was built is was blatently obvious that a 6ft fence wasn't going to be anywhere near high enough to obsucure there windows from over looking our back garden. We complained to the planning dept. they sent the chief planning officer out, his 1st comments were "I'm really concerened about the height of that house' then came back as said it was higher than anticipated because of ' a change in site levels when it was built'!!!! Hence we are now left with no privacy at all!!!!

Cosmo

4th Sep 07 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
TBH its a farce, when planning permission was granted for this house, it was granted on the grounds that - to guarantee the privacy of the neighbours at No. 83 (our house) there had to be a 6ft close slatted fence erected around the south side of the property. As soon as the house was built is was blatently obvious that a 6ft fence wasn't going to be anywhere near high enough to obsucure there windows from over looking our back garden. We complained to the planning dept. they sent the chief planning officer out, his 1st comments were "I'm really concerened about the height of that house' then came back as said it was higher than anticipated because of ' a change in site levels when it was built'!!!! Hence we are now left with no privacy at all!!!!

if the house doesnt meet the guidelines of the permission given then keep pushing it with the council. Plant the tress too as will let them see fuck all then aswell.
JadeM
Premium Member

4th Sep 07 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've thought about suing the council, but we're a bit wary it could end up costing us a lot of money. We spent a fortune sorting out our back garden 2 years ago, decking and stuff then this lot built the house. Mums got to the stage she wont go into the back garden even to hang out the washing because if they're out, it turns into a slanging match.

Plus I'm sure the value of our property will have dropped because of this
Cosmo

4th Sep 07 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt you can sue the council, but if they built the house higher against the councils guidelines thyen you could push for this to be rectified...i.e. house being knocked down.

Its extreme, but they can do this. The previous owners of my Dads place had a big brick built sun room type thing built onto the house, and they had to demolish this and return it to how it was before!!
JadeM
Premium Member

4th Sep 07 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all a mine field - the chief planning officer did mention having it pulled down at the time, but then wrote to us saying that it had been built to the sizes on the plans and that it was a change in site levels that had caused it to sit higher so that was ok

I think I'll go for the easier option - go order some trees, get them delivered and planted and give mum a nice surprise
Andrew

4th Sep 07 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no reason why you couldn't fix two posts together using some steel and long screws as long as you do it properly securing each side of the post.
--DAN--

4th Sep 07 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go to a local company that makes concrete posts. They will most likely do some in any length you want. I needed some funny sized posts and gravel boards and they basically made them to whatever size I wanted. IIRC was about 12 quid post and a bit more for gravel boards. That was 11ft i think.
richardworrall
Premium Member

6th Sep 07 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you not also put up a nice halogen light to light up the garden and also make sure it shines through there windows at night
JadeM
Premium Member

6th Sep 07 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richardworrall
can you not also put up a nice halogen light to light up the garden and also make sure it shines through there windows at night

Yes we have 2 of those We also had a cctv pointing straight into there bedroom to piss them off- it wasn't connected up. The police made us re-position it because even tho it wasn't connected it was 'putting our neighbours in a state of fear and alarm' which could be termed a breach of the peace
Ally

14th Sep 07 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any news jade?

Confiers sounds good, you could also get some 4 foot trellis to go on the top of the fence and plant somthing quick growing

New Poll