corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New laptop, options?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New laptop, options?
Simon

User status: Offline
29th Aug 07 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it worth getting cheaper laptops with Vista? I was helping a mate out with his new laptop yesterday, don't know if he's really quickly filled it with crap or it was just struggling with vista but it was so slow to do anything
Dom

29th Aug 07 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Never understood the apple appeal though apart from the apparent fashion one.

I might be hijacking the thread but john/Andy I feel you have been ill informed with the fact that you think OSX/Macs/Apple computers are a fashion accessory. Instead I would just like to point out that majority of computers in the graphics/film and music industries are....yes you got it Macs. Certainly us film and music folk (not sure why graphics "artists" use macs), macs are a must. Not because we think they look hip and cool sitting in the corner of a London office surrounded by mugs of starbucks coffee whilst wearing the latest fashionable clothing range, but for the fact that the software and hardware we use is mac only and any pc port of the software is utter shit to be frank.

Although I agree that Apples have become a bit of a fashion statement, there are us people that HAVE to use them to do our job

Back to the thread, nik, go with a Dell if its general use - can't wrong and there fairly solid systems

[Edited on 29-08-2007 by Dom]
Steve
Premium Member

29th Aug 07 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree macs have there uses, and certainly film editing, and graphics is oe of them, i still think they are overpriced for the spec you are getting, especially when they just use ordinary intel chips these days
Dom

29th Aug 07 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i agree macs have there uses, and certainly film editing, and graphics is oe of them, i still think they are overpriced for the spec you are getting, especially when they just use ordinary intel chips these days

i completely agree with you and thats why i wished they stayed with IBMs PowerVR processors. But like i said, some people require macs to do there job - if i could use my 4ks worth audio DAW (hardware and software) on a pc without it crashing every ten minutes then i would, but on a mac i don't have a single problem - and this helps when times money
andy1868

30th Aug 07 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was poking fun dom, it wasn't a serious argument

edit: serious question now as i honestly know little about macs, what programs are on there that aren't available for windows? and how come?

[Edited on 30-08-2007 by andy1868]
John

30th Aug 07 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I can say about the software crashing is the mac software is written for one specific piece of hardware and a certain combination of software.

Without having actually used the programs in question I couldn't comment on whether the issues are windows based or the fault of the program manufacturers, i'd bet on the latter.
ssj_kakarot

30th Aug 07 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.dell.co.uk

you always say dell whenever some one says they need laptop help.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/3439321/Hewlett-Packard-Pavilion-DV6527EA-AMD-Athlon-64-X2-TK53-2GB-120GB-DVD-SM-15-4-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop/Product.html?searchtype=genre

thats far better than the equivelent dell machine for the same price on the link someone posted, twice the ram, twice the harddrive, dedicated graphics card ect ect dell really are not the best.
John

30th Aug 07 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always say dell because they build good specced machines for the price and have good support.

Is there a problem with that?
ssj_kakarot

30th Aug 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I always say dell because they build good specced machines for the price and have good support.

Is there a problem with that?

no but you still come across as a twat who thinks he is godly when talking about anything to do with technology, yes your attitude stinks so there is a problem with that
John

30th Aug 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=N4XESS03&l=en&oc=N0915016&rbc=N0915016&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3

Don't know if that will show up properly or not, if it doesn't go and spec a 1501, then when you've done that come back and apologise, thanks.
ssj_kakarot

30th Aug 07 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why all that shows is to get the same ram it brings it up to the same price? go you.

not to mention the other from play has webcam, remote ect.
John

30th Aug 07 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So a webcam and remote make it far better than the equivalent Dell machine.

I got one of the new 5121 or whatever they are, 2gig ram, whatever amd 64x2 proc, webcam, 120gig hdd, the fancy truelife screen etc etc etc 500 quid.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me suggesting Dell, when somebody can do better i'll suggest them instead.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll