60 3 (1.83%)
70 14 (8.54%)
80 71 (43.29%)
90 42 (25.61%)
100 13 (7.93%)
100+ 21 (12.8%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speed on m'way
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
11th Jul 07 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Only think that stops me staying at over 100mph on the motorway is the fact the fuel dissapears.

yes
mwg

11th Jul 07 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it depends on the driver and the car.

In my car it doesn't feel all that comfortable doing much more than 85, its not the most stable car going at speed whereas in a larger, better built car they feel much safer, more planted and could cruise at 90-100 all day long!
JM_16v

11th Jul 07 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think 80 is generally safe but i feel a empty 4 lane motorway with gd weather 110mph is a safe speed also.

on the same exstreme ive driven down a empty motorway doing 30-40 due to extreme fog and rain
Steve X16XE

11th Jul 07 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
on the same exstreme ive driven down a empty motorway doing 30-40 due to extreme fog and rain

Me too. On the M1 i had to do 40mph at 3am and turn my dip beam off and just use my Front Fogs coz it was so thick.
Steve X16XE

11th Jul 07 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
I think it depends on the driver and the car.

In my car it doesn't feel all that comfortable doing much more than 85, its not the most stable car going at speed whereas in a larger, better built car they feel much safer, more planted and could cruise at 90-100 all day long!

At 70-80 in my Corsa you are shouting at each other just to talk. But when i drove my mates CL500 i did 110mph down the slip road and did even realise. I backed off and set the CC at 80mph and it didn't even feel like i was moving.
pow
Premium Member

11th Jul 07 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80, because I genuinely feel that doing 70 puts you at harm. I hardly ever exceed 80, theres not point. You'll onlycatch up with the M3 thats passed you at 100 at the trafficlights on the slip road.

Plus, doing 80 in the ibiza gives better mpg than 70 in 6th gear!

[Edited on 11-07-2007 by pow]
deano87

11th Jul 07 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I voted 80mph, because you generally have to do that to overtake cars doing 65mph-70mph quickly and safely.

Thoughs that might have said that European roads have higher speed limits, there are also a lot less cars on the motorways. On Sunday I was passenger in a van doing between 80mph and 90mph in France, the whole length of it, about 500miles. Not once did we have to brake heavily or anything.

Get back to Folkestone Eurotunnel, and within 20mins were stuck in a traffic jam.

UK speed limits are there because of the sheer volume of traffic.

I however sit at 60mph to 70mph, because I need the extra 15mph to 85mph to get passed slower moving vehicle. If I sat at 85mph, I wouldn't have any ooomph to go any faster.

It is all about driving with the flow of traffic though. If all the cars are doing 80mph and you suddenly sit at 60mph when your car can easily do 70-75mph, then you're going to cause an accident.

Look at those American dudes that straddled the motorways in America at the speed limit of 50mph (?) and how much congestion they caused. If everyone travelled at 70mph in that example, there wouldn't have necessarily been anymore accidents.

[Edited on 11-07-2007 by deano87]
M2RTY

11th Jul 07 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Craigos
Just have to watch out for all the idiots on the roads nowdays

there are so many idiots and people that are not paying attention with no car control

I was comming from sheffield to manchester in a vectra V6 around 135 indicated. round a bend on the m1. approaching the exit of the bend i notice a T5 Police car approx 700 yards ahead on the hard sholder. HARD on the brakes into the middle lane. overtook the T5 which was on the hardsholder

cooperjazzy55

11th Jul 07 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

police are gna love this thread haha
antmashed

11th Jul 07 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i vote 90 because 70 feels too slow

or when the conditions are rough or theres lots of cars around it should be lowered (the flashing signs can do that)
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Jul 07 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i never go above 95 usually

but tent to cruise about 75-85
SportBoy

11th Jul 07 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what mood im in .. my speed varies from a steady 70 - 75 to a steady 100 - 110 .. dont think theres anything wrong with going over 100 unless its fairly busy .. common sense comes into it too
Ben G

11th Jul 07 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80mph feels safe yet quite quick at that speed. 70mph seems too slow. but then if it was upped to 80 then would probably feel just as slow tbh.

i've hardly ever go above 80 as i don't see the point, feels like i'm going to die
All Torque

11th Jul 07 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Normal motorway use: 80 - 90

Night time when nobody else is on the road: 100+

Same here
johnhara1

12th Jul 07 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I voted 80, as thats what i normally do anyway and the traffic police dont seem to mind it anyway.

Just the other day im going down the motorway and theres a traffic car in the left hand lane doing about 65mph with about 10 cars behind him all sitting at 65mph scared to over take him.

I pulled out into the right hand lane and overtake the lot at 75/80. My passenger calls out "woah thats a police car there you know"

[Edited on 12-07-2007 by johnhara1]
Pablo

12th Jul 07 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I usually do about 80, never really go over 95/100 esp with roof down, too windy lol

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Speed on m'way 23 database queries in 0.0112729 seconds