corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Number plates

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Number plates
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
4th Mar 07 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was looking in the 'cherished numbers' section on eBay and came across a few auctions for log books for cars are no longer in existence. Does this mean if you buy the logbook you can apply to transfer the number plate to your vehicle?

Here's an example auction -
LINK

''This is an old style logbook VE 60 for a Ford Cortina 4 door de Luxe,dated 13/01/1969.Reg Number BNO 578G.

Passed onto me by my father,who was a London car breaker, on his death.Vehicle long gone I should think.''

Sorry if I'm being stupid, just wondering!
deano87

4th Mar 07 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly, best worth ringing the DVLA and finding out!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the car had to have tax and MOT before you can take a reg plate off it.

Hence why you can't just go scrap yard and claim a plate.

Woman at work her husband has a plate thats worth alot of money and they need to get the car road worthy before they can get the plate off it.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Chrissy
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So does that mean that if say youve got a 2 digit plate worth quite a bit.. and you wrap your car round a tree, thats the plate useless?

Surely not..

>>>> Chris <<<<

Colin

4th Mar 07 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chrisseh1608
So does that mean that if say youve got a 2 digit plate worth quite a bit.. and you wrap your car round a tree, thats the plate useless?

Surely not..

No because it will be taxed & mot'd!! However if you leave it until those run out you cant!!

Its a bit of a grey area, sometimes you can convince them to let you retain your plate. On the subject of buying a log book to claim a plate, I very much doubt it would work!!
BeArDy

4th Mar 07 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chrisseh1608

Surely not..

No cos at the time it would be taxed and MOT's. Even when you crash the car still has Tax and MOT.

To take a Reg plate off a car it need to be Taxed and MOT'ed 100%
I know this for a Fact as i wanted B34RDY, Which i found to be on a Scrapped Fiesta when shopping for mine. I rang the DVLA and they gave me all the info........
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No.... As the car will still be tax'd and MOT'd so you can put the plate on retention.

If it runs passed its MOT then you would have to make it road worthy again or bribe someone for a certificate

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
BeArDy

4th Mar 07 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dident some lad of MIG have C20LET on his calibra, which he scrapped.
Aswell as G20LET
Robin
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't need to be MoT'd, or taxed, it just needs to have been within the past 12 months...

Teddy had G20LET on his Calibra Beardy.
Robin
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and selling a logbook without a car is illegal, you should report the sellers to ebay.
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From DVLA site -

Q1: What are the main number plates transfer rules?

c. Only vehicles which are currently taxed (or tax exempt) and have had a valid MOT certificate in the past 6 months, are allowed to use the transfer scheme.
If your Tax or Mot is about to expire we advise you to renew these before applying for a transfer to ensure your transfer is successful.
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GWC-359H-Ford-Cortina-1600cc-Old-Style-Logbook-1970_W0QQitemZ180090007436QQihZ008QQcategoryZ421QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres loads of these types on there, I doubt theres anything you can do with them else they would be asking much more than a fiver!!!
Robin
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car must have had tax still then
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My vehicle no longer exists but I still have the old V5/log book. Can I still transfer the registration number?

No. Once a vehicle has ceased to exist, entitlement to its number also expires regardless of possession of a log book or registration. If a vehicle has been scrapped, you are required by law to notify the Secretary of State and return the registration document to DVLA.

Colin

4th Mar 07 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Vehicle is not taxed and has no current MOT. May I transfer the registration from it to another vehicle or to retention?

An application will be considered if your last tax disc expired within six months of the date upon which the VRO receive your application to transfer. In this case you must have been the registered keeper at the time the tax expired, and the tax must have expired naturally without refund. You must also provide the MOT certificate that was valid at the time the vehicle was last taxed.
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My log book states the number on my vehicle is non-transferable. Can I still sell it?

No. If the registration document states that the registration number is non-transferable, then it cannot be transferred or retained on certificate.
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I scrap my vehicle before the sale of the number?

No. It is important that you don't dispose of the vehicle until the transfer has been fully completed and you have received all relevant amended documents. If you scrap or otherwise dispose of your vehicle too soon, it is very possible that you may lose your entitlement to the registration.
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we need a FAQ on CS about Private Plates..............theres a post every other day asking the same questions!!!
Carl

4th Mar 07 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your car has wrapped around a tree would tat not nullify the MOT if they checked? As in like if they stop you and your car is'nt road worthy, they don't let you drive off because you have an in date MOT, or are they making the rules up as they go along like usual?
Colin

4th Mar 07 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Truth of the matter is if you dont declare your No Plate with your insurer as a cherished plate & you crash it can become theirs meaning you cant retrieve it.

Ive seen that happen before, so I actually declare mine & say if my cars paid out for the reg stays my property!!

If you get it off quickly though & through the dvla system & onto paper within days you will get away with it.

[Edited on 04-03-2007 by Colin]
Robin
Premium Member

4th Mar 07 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
if your car has wrapped around a tree would tat not nullify the MOT if they checked? As in like if they stop you and your car is'nt road worthy, they don't let you drive off because you have an in date MOT, or are they making the rules up as they go along like usual?

If the car had MOT within 6 months, it's fine.
Carl

4th Mar 07 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Truth of the matter is if you dont declare your No Plate with your insurer as a cherished plate & you crash it can become theirs meaning you cant retrieve it.

Ive seen that happen before, so I actually declare mine & say if my cars paid out for the reg stays my property!!

If you get it off quickly though & through the dvla system & onto paper within days you will get away with it.

[Edited on 04-03-2007 by Colin]

Cheers, might be worth confirming this with my insurance.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Number plates 24 database queries in 0.1976418 seconds