corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » MS Access?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MS Access?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Jan 07 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone good with this? I've created a simple database at work to keep a record of the company's clients and services offered - which will provide an easy way to keep our records up to date. Ian inspired me to do this after asking about a MediaWiki a while ago, and its working out pretty well.

I've got the primary function of the DB, queries, forms and reports sorted out - I just need to work out now how to make it available to the users. Potentially there could be 2 or 3 people wanting to add/remove and edit records at once - with a further 5 or 6 people just using it to view the information at any one time.

If I just saved the DB on a network share, what would happen if two records were edited at the same time, or even worse if the same record got edited at the same time by two different people - would it fuck up, if so what are the best ways to counter this?

I also thought about loading the forms onto a webpage, so that the user didn't actually have to access the DB properly - just use it through the forms and reports, what would be the easiest way of achieving this?

I've pretty much self taught all what i've done so far and I'm running out of imagination, so could do with some help from someone in the know.

I know MS access isnt ideal for this, but im working with what i've got.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ta.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jan 07 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Access itself will manage the database lock files so that type of problem you describe can't happen. You'll see it writing them in the same folder as the mdb is stored.

Not ideal though as it introduces delays to the user.

Web stuff you can get IIS installed and knock up some ASP easily enough. You need a data source name (DSN) setting up in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Data Sources, use System DSN and it will run even when you are logged out. When that is done you need some sample code which I might have a bit somewhere if you get stuck.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Jan 07 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Access itself will manage the database lock files so that type of problem you describe can't happen. You'll see it writing them in the same folder as the mdb is stored.

Not ideal though as it introduces delays to the user.

Web stuff you can get IIS installed and knock up some ASP easily enough. You need a data source name (DSN) setting up in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Data Sources, use System DSN and it will run even when you are logged out. When that is done you need some sample code which I might have a bit somewhere if you get stuck.

smashing ta, delay to user doesn't bother me. It will probably only be updated 3 or 4 times a day, but has the potential for all updates to happen at the same time

One of the webdevs here suggested looking into ASP to achieve a webform, so I'll get started on that tomorrow providing its quiet.

Ta

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Jan 07 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah get IIS installed, test that.

Then some simple ASP scripts.

Then some SELECTs on the DSN

The decide exactly what your web app is querying, perhaps you can even use Access and see what SQL it is using in your existing forms.

Then get the pages looking nice.

Then embed the queries.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Jan 07 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah get IIS installed, test that.

Then some simple ASP scripts.

Then some SELECTs on the DSN

The decide exactly what your web app is querying, perhaps you can even use Access and see what SQL it is using in your existing forms.

Then get the pages looking nice.

Then embed the queries.

Sounds easy

I'll get back to you when i've tried it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jan 07 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DSN setup no bother, and had a look around for IIS on MSdownloads site.

I found a resource kit, but it doesnt seem to be the pack i need - don't spose you have a link to exactly what I need in order to get started?

ta

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jan 07 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIS should be there as part of XP Pro or anything Server?

What OS you running?
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jan 07 at 00:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
IIS should be there as part of XP Pro or anything Server?

What OS you running?

XP Pro, Just! We just rolled it out from win2k

i'll take a proper look tomorrow

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Jan 07 at 00:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you have it then

Add/Remove programs - Windows Components

New Poll