corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Do I wall Mount my T.V???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Do I wall Mount my T.V???
corb

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 06 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant decide whether or not to wall mount it. If I do, how can I do something about the wires without it looking gash?

I dont want to bury them in the wall incase I decide to add stuff in the future and have to dig it all back out again, but on the same note, I'm not really keen on trunking either

Was thinking about putting something under the tele, like a bookcase, and just having a short run of trunking on show. I wouldnt mount it much higher than about 90cm up the wall, and have a bookcase which is 78cm, so I'd have 22cm on show, at the most.

Just wondering what people reckon to the idea of that, would it be off-putting with a lot of clutter under the tele and take away some of the effect of having the t.v on the wall?

Thoughts?

Cheers, Corb.
drunkenfool

3rd Dec 06 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not bury the cables in the wall but while you are there put some extras in? Or just put one of each type of cable the TV uses un the wall and get an amp to switch sources if you dont already have one? IE if your tv has S-vid, component and HDMI run all three through the wall from the amp to the tv, then all your bases are covered.
corb

3rd Dec 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did think about that tbh, I'd end up spending a fortune on cables I mightn't need.

Infact, thats what I thought, but having just looked, theres not much left being unused at the mo. HDMI, component in,audio out, digital audio out, normal aerial socket(built in freeview box), and then 3 that I dont actually know what they do!!! One says service, and some strange looking socket, same socket and it says audio and another one which says DVI in, left and right RCA plugs, dunno what they do

Not a bad idea that reallly tbh, hmmmmmm.........
corb

3rd Dec 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Readign the manual helps, its really true, you know!!!

Audio in is something to do with the PC input, DVI is HDMI stuff that I dont really understand and the service thing is a Service connection for qualified service engineer.
drunkenfool

3rd Dec 06 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just go for S-video, component and HDMI (or DVI if it only has that as a HD input), and obviously the aerial too if you use freeview.
kz

3rd Dec 06 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking of doing this very soon. how do i go about putting cables through a brick wall

can this even be done?
Welsh Dan

3rd Dec 06 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
thinking of doing this very soon. how do i go about putting cables through a brick wall

can this even be done?

Yes. Use a drill and make a hole.
corb

3rd Dec 06 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hammer, chisle, and make a big hole in the wall from the floor to the tv, then plaster back over it.
drunkenfool

3rd Dec 06 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or if its a double skinned outside wall then run the cables between the two walls, just drill a hole at the top and the bottom, and use a hook of some kind to pull the cables back through the bottom hole
Colin

3rd Dec 06 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont like wall mount, looks silly unless the room is massssive & surely gives you a sore neck/back watching it!!

Get a nice stand - Alphason make some nice ones!!
Russ 200sx

3rd Dec 06 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is perfect, the room isnt massive thats why i thought i would wall mount it, saves a hell of alot of space, i just chisel'd a tunnel out of the wall and wired from an existing plug to a socket which sits behind the tv, and the aerial comes through the wall from outside right nect to the socket. Then i just used filler to fill back over the wires the decorated over it, you cant even see 1 little bit where the tunnel runs

corb

3rd Dec 06 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin, only if you mountt high up. Like I said, its gonna be about 80-90cm up the wall, mainly as a space-saving venture. And I'm gonna build a cbinet for my bits and pieces(DVD, stereo, vcr, ps2 etc.etc.) to sit in and hide away.
mav

3rd Dec 06 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not keen on it mounted high up like that as I prefer to look straight ahead at TV and not look up...

My new stand...Ignore the rest livingroom not done yet but...Still to tidy cables etc..

kz

3rd Dec 06 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I dont like wall mount, looks silly unless the room is massssive & surely gives you a sore neck/back watching it!!

Get a nice stand - Alphason make some nice ones!!

dont rate alphason myself! not with 37"+ anyway, not that good at holding the wait. vivanco are good

still thinking about mounting my tv on my door to the spare room! would be easy to hide the wires as id just run them down the other side of the door...
C2RL R

4th Dec 06 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i chased my wall out and put 6 lengths of large pvc trunking in. I ran all the cables inside three of the trunkings which leaves another three incase i need to put extra cables in. then plastered over the lot.
Daimo B

4th Dec 06 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah wall mount it.

Someones said about looking up if its on a wall, if your looking up at your TV its far too high and in the wrong position.

WE've mounted ours on our chimley breast. I wanted it much higher so it sat in the middle of the wall (top to bottom), but after sitting down, after a while you will get neck/eye strain. When your watching a TV, last thing you want is eye strain.

We ended up mounting it much lower, so low its jsut above the fireplace arch. It doesn't look as goo as what it would if it were higher up, but its comfortable tow watch.

IMO Russ picture above is far too high (IMO ).

Cabling tidy wont take that long, chisle, hammer, some filler, a sander, and some new paint (or wallpaper) and job done

Mount it so when your sitting down, the screen is at eye level.
mav

4th Dec 06 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep eye level from sitting position
Russ 200sx

4th Dec 06 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt want it too low as we are having a fire surround put on that wall plus when reclined on the sofa, its perfect
N90ATH

4th Dec 06 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes u should

mines is the right angle for so i can watch it when lying on my bed, dnt have to look to the side ot at weird angles its right in front of me like so:

mav

4th Dec 06 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye thats fine if it's angled like that, looks good
N90ATH

5th Dec 06 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye just need a shelf above to but freeveiw box on so its no restin on tv lol

and some trunking for wires lol
mwg

5th Dec 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not bury a tube/box section type affair in the wall that you can plaster over. Leave some sort of opening at the top that will be behind the TV and thats where the wires can come out and then the same again at the bottom. That way you can add/remove wires as you please without any major hassle.

If you want to add any more wires you just feed them in from the top and let them drop down to the opening at the bottom and if you want to remove you just unplug at the top and pull down and out they come...
corb

5th Dec 06 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about scart cables? that'll have to be a big bit of tube/box section!
N90ATH

6th Dec 06 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i would bury it in my wall but walls are only 8 months old so thats out the question

New Poll