corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Since when...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Since when...
Butler

User status: Offline
9th Nov 06 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it an offense not to carry your MOT and insurance certificates on you at all times?
eel

9th Nov 06 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never
Colin

9th Nov 06 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not, as long as you can produce them to a plod station of your choice upon request & within 7 days......

[Edited on 09-11-2006 by Colin]
Butler

9th Nov 06 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a producer, but was told its an offense and was cautioned with all this 'anything you do say may harm your defense' blah de blah
Colin

9th Nov 06 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never heard that before, ask when you take your doc's in & make a complaint.
Colin

9th Nov 06 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I could find on the net is:

At all times you must be able to prove that you are a) licensed to drive the category of vehicle you are in b) either the owner of the vehicle or that you have a owner's permission to drive c) insured. Licenses should be photocard licenses. If you do not have one you must also carry your passport. If you are stopped by the police and asked for these documents, not being able to produce them will result in a visit to a police station (with the documents) in the next few days.

http://www.driving-abroad.info/driving-in-uk
Colin

9th Nov 06 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also:

As a driver you need to be aware of your legal obligations. This includes which documents you must have and what they are for. These documents do not have to be kept in your car, but they must be produced if requested by a Police Officer. You normally have seven days to produce these documents to the Police and they have to be valid at the time the documents were requested.

http://www.islington.gov.uk/Transport/RoadsAndParking/RoadSafety/Driving/drivingdocuments.asp
Butler

9th Nov 06 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest the caution was probably bullshit. I will ask in the station though. Cheers for that Colin
Colin

10th Nov 06 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
To be honest the caution was probably bullshit. I will ask in the station though. Cheers for that Colin

Had probably got out the wrong side of bed & thought he was Robocop tbh

Were you caught being naughty or just routine check??
drax

10th Nov 06 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[robocoptheme

]DUN DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUR

dun dun dun duuuuur

dun dun dun dur dur duuuuuuuuuuur

Butler

10th Nov 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not being naughty at all, just casually driving along and came round the corner to be greeted by about 20 police cars all flashing, was like a road block and they flagged me down.
Colin

10th Nov 06 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Highway code states:

Production of documents. You MUST be able to produce your driving licence and counterpart, a valid insurance certificate and (if appropriate) a valid MOT certificate, when requested by a police officer. If you cannot do this you may be asked to take them to a police station within seven days.
Law RTA 1988 sects 164 & 165

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/28.htm
Colin

10th Nov 06 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing about it being an offence, id ask them then tell them what it says in the highway code.
Butler

10th Nov 06 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was definately told it was an offense and cautioned but nothing official to prove it. Don't know if they will have it on record.
Krammy

10th Nov 06 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably said it to put the frights up you
Colin

10th Nov 06 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He probably thought he was being smart tbh...ive had police saying things like that to 'close the deal' before.

Tell them what happened when you take in your documents then ask them about the Road traffic law 1988 section 164 & 165
Teknologikal

10th Nov 06 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both my parents are in the Police Force, I'll check that one out.....
Jules

10th Nov 06 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought that the police advised AGAINST carrying all your motoring documents in your car - incase someone steals your car they have plenty of paperwork to cause quite a bit of hassle in your name.
Sounds like the copper is blowing smoke up your arse and if that's the case then I'd make a complaint about it.
Teknologikal

10th Nov 06 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I wouldn't carry any documents in my car, only thing you should carry is your licence....but I'll find out if this copper is (as suspected already) full of it.
Butler

10th Nov 06 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. I think it was the guys first time or something. Because I was first spoken to by another policeman who then looked at this guy and said 'ok, take it away'
Teknologikal

10th Nov 06 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like it to me.....leaving your documents in your motor is a common sense thing, it just doesn't happen....why else do you get 7 days to produce??
Robin
Premium Member

10th Nov 06 at 01:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What jules said.

I have always been told not to produce them, even if you do have them on you, just incase they aren't actual policemen.
Gavin_G

10th Nov 06 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You MUST be able to produce your documents to a Police Constable when requested...if you cannot on the spot you are allowed upto 7 days to show them at a Police station.

He cautioned you because you fell foul of the relevant legislation. You didnt have them on you at the time, however your final get out clause is to show them at a Police station.

The officer was reading the law by the book...I do believe he should have cautioned you for the suspected offence of not having your documents...so if you cannot produce within 7 days, he has complied with the proper procedure! If you do produce them, no harm done in getting the caution
deano87

10th Nov 06 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Nothing about it being an offence, id ask them then tell them what it says in the highway code.

Naaa, don't tell them, ask them. See how smart they really are

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Since when... 23 database queries in 0.1914940 seconds