corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My new gaff(house day warning!)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My new gaff(house day warning!)
corb

User status: Offline
31st Oct 06 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get vouchers through work, kinda on the side bonus type thing and can only spend them in certain shops. For £700 I dont think I'll end up with something future proof!
Robin
Premium Member

31st Oct 06 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when are you getting the pool table thingy?
Daimo B

31st Oct 06 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im with ya....

OK, as a rule, to help out..

Up to 32" - Go for LCD
32"-42" - Dont bother..
42" + - Go for plasma...

And go here to research what models are good. You may even be able to pickup a voucher code that you can use and get even more off....

Plasma....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

LCD

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

They dont like newbie what TV should I buy type posts, but sign up and use the seach function. Spent hour reading that site, its bloody brilliant, full of techy geeks

Colin

31st Oct 06 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id rather have a smaller LCD than a shit quality huge Plasma.
corb

31st Oct 06 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats why Im only getting a 32". Eventually I'd like a projector and screen. Hopefully in the next couple of years.

Robin, I've gotta knock a wall down and re-do the kitchen in the process! So I think thats going to be a little while unfortunately.
corb

31st Oct 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My next door neighbour has apparently converted his garage into a home cinema I've been told.

Its true, cos I could just about hear the rumbles from it when I got home late last night! Sounded well cool!
Daimo B

1st Nov 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin, i've got a 42" Plasma, the picture is spot on.

Theres a lot of rumours and crap going around about Plasmas, i thought the same until i properly looked into it (Wasn't gonna spend £1500 on a screen for it to be crap and not be future proof )..

Go for a good LCD then, but don't scrimp on buying one. You will find the cheaper systems wont have as good a quality, the pixles will blacken after a while, and it wont be future proof (i.e still be ok in a few years).

Whatever screen you buy, it'll be outdated in 6 months, so go for something thats really good and has the toys now.

Took me 2 months to buy our screen, and its JUST a screen, no Freeview, no speakers, none of that crap, just a screen. Thats also why we had to spend out on a decent amp.

Takew your time, browse those links i've given, it'll help you choose a good screen over a crappy one that is branded as good as it comes with xyz and has lots of banners around it

We opted not to go for SkyHD yet either, £10 for 8 channels, yeah, like buggery

Pad looks cool htough, nice conservetory. Now i've got rabbits, got no chance of building one
Colin

1st Nov 06 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only Plasmas ive seen worth buying is the Poineer ones at about 2 -2.5k...I wouldnt touch any other, I plumped for my 32" LCD as it well outperformed any 42" Plasma around the same price.

Size isnt everything
Daimo B

1st Nov 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, size isn't everything at all, but i can assure you, i have a VERY high expectations In fact, when my current screen turned up, i was a little cheesed off, but its STILL running in, and it looks f-ing great. Quality is superb.

As I say, research is the key. Walk into a retail type store and the qualitys are usually either

Super high def, which have a HD connection linked up...
or
Awful, which is a normal connection.

A lot of the quality has to do with the cables used. I've only done 1/2 our system and have already spent £100 on about 3 cables!!!!!

Ours is also Pioneer. But look at that website, it lists everything you need to know, what to stear clear of, what to look for etc...

I.e Our screen has only been in the country a week before we bought it (pre ordered). I made sure i knew the full spec before it was ordered.

Edit - Re-read your comment, hardly ANY Plasmas for a 32" lcd screen will really be any good. As i say though, up to 32", go for LCD.. Already wrote all this though

Edit again, certainly not any 42" plasma.. You rally need to be spending £1k+ at least to get a semi decent one... Remember, as i say, i spent £1500 on a SCREEN only, nothing extra, hell i even had to pay for the HDMI board (Another £105 on top), so I didn't have to use S-Video leads. SCART doesn't cut it, doesn't give the quality needed. HDMI is where you want to go connection wise.

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by VXR]
corb

1st Nov 06 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna run the sound through the stereo I've had for about 7years, which I'm perfectly happy with, and have some across some old floor standing speakers my dad used to have. If I wire mine and his on each channel, in series, it will show a 14ohm load, which is within the tolerances of the amp on my sony's amp(6-16ohm). Will have to wait and see how it sounds once it's all connected up though.

Daimo, cables, aye. Just like car audio, remeber those £80 RCA's I had?
Tom

1st Nov 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo why do you always have to be a know it all
corb

1st Nov 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and those I put links up for, have HDMI, infact, one of the has two HDMI connections, which is good as one will be used by my pc as I'm gonna use it as a monitor aswell
Ally

1st Nov 06 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to Ikea tonight Corb

Didnt realise just how excited i get about house stuff untill i got my keys nor did i realise just how impatient i am!

Make sure u post progress pics
corb

1st Nov 06 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I've got furniture in there now, but a few bits still in boxes. Gonna have a 'party' then start painting bits n bobs, get the carpets, tele etc.
Colin

1st Nov 06 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your TV's only as good as your cables / connections....amen to that, you can buy a £2k tv but if you dont get the expensive cables you might aswell bought the cheapest one in the shop!!
Ojc

1st Nov 06 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corb I'm jealous, thats a lovely first home mate.
Tom

1st Nov 06 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Your TV's only as good as your cables / connections....amen to that, you can buy a £2k tv but if you dont get the expensive cables you might aswell bought the cheapest one in the shop!!

Too true, mates dad spent a couple of hundred quid on cables and proper multi-point plug things.

He's got about a 32" lcd with massive denon amp, mission surround sound it's class
Daimo B

1st Nov 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Daimo why do you always have to be a know it all

I research what im doing before i spend lots of money? Offering what i've spent months learning isn't a bad thing? Same with everything i do. Cars, bikes, electronics, computers yadder blah. Im not financially secure enoguh to spend money willy nilly and it go wrong not long in the future (just becuase I didn't read up and research it first).

People can choose whether they want to read it and take advice on my research or not... If not, then they can waste money, no skin off my back... Not my cash, already spent mine on a proper peice of kit

(and if i hadn't researched I could ahve spent the same amount on a TV thats crap and gives the shoddy plasma performance mentioned above).

Corb - Dammmn, i still got all my audio cables in D4, forgot, could sell them too. Cool!!!!

PARTY PARTY PARTY.
Ojc

1st Nov 06 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I come to your party?
Mark Petty

1st Nov 06 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just bought the 32" Samsung LCD screen you posted for my new house. Its a quality picture well worth getting
Matt H

1st Nov 06 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Can I come to your party?

"Lets have some fun"
woodywoods12345

1st Nov 06 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice mate, how much was it? (the down payment mortage etc) it looks lush fair play, the only things that needs doing imo is the garden and the bathroom, (dont like the colour of the sink or bath) but fair play mate!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll