corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Premium Bonds

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Premium Bonds
Shelly
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Aug 06 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do these work peeps?

Got some money coming to me so I was wondering whether to get some.
SVM 286

12th Aug 06 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't work Shell, they just sit there depreciating as inflation increases.

You stand a slim chance of winning something, but you're better off with a National Savings investment account.

Safer bet. At least you get some interest.
Jules

12th Aug 06 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You buy £1000 pounds of PB's amd you are assigned a set of numbers, every month there are multiple draw's and if any of the numbers come up match the one's in your 'block' then you win money (it varys how much depending on what draw the money was for).
If you decide to cash in your PB's you get back what you put in, in this example you'd get your £1000 back.

My Grandparents have the maximum amount each and they are forever getting cheques for different amounts of money (that have had one really big win), sometimes getting multiple cheques of £50/£100 etc a month.

If I had a few thousand spare I'd get some as it's pretty much a no lose option, yes you miss out on interest that you would get if the money was put into a savings account but for what (lack of) interest you get these days I'd go with the PB's
Shelly
Premium Member

12th Aug 06 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, thankyou
Jules

12th Aug 06 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously you don't have to buy just £1000 pounds worth - you can buy more or less, that figure was just an example.
Shelly
Premium Member

12th Aug 06 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the minimum is £100
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Aug 06 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£10k gets you more or less equivalent winnings to that which you would get in interest. Less and you might be better with a conventional savings account. The Bonds do have the remote possibility of yeilding a big win though.
Marc

12th Aug 06 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed with Ian, a high interest savings account will net you more money. My borhter has won £100 on 5k so far. Imagine the annual interest on 5k.

Of course there is a very slim chance you will win 1m though
Robin
Premium Member

12th Aug 06 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mum has regular wins, nothing big, but generally about 100 a month. but the intrest on the money she has invested would be more than that, definitely.
Jules S
Premium Member

12th Aug 06 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better than spunking money at the lottery though

I think im gonna invest tonights winnings on some PB's

Coincidentaly, two blokes in my office decided to have a 'bet' at christmas......both bought 5k of PB's, and they both claim to have netted over 1k each so far
Robin
Premium Member

12th Aug 06 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i suspect an element of embroidery of the truth on their winnings

i'm not convinced about 1k return on 5k in 8 months
Jules S
Premium Member

12th Aug 06 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
i suspect an element of embroidery of the truth on their winnings

i'm not convinced about 1k return on 5k in 8 months

In fairness mate....

one is 67 and the other is mid fifties.

Likely its a fluke, but makes you wonder....

Ive just realised that after all the bonus ball/lottery pants rubbish, I drop about £700 a year on the lottery

Time to invest in something 'non loss' methinks

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Premium Bonds 23 database queries in 0.0073380 seconds