corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cool running thermostats for x16xe....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cool running thermostats for x16xe....
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jul 06 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read the thread.............
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

4th Jul 06 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
dont need big plans for 180bhp dude, just cams!

already purchased. along with some more goodies and booked in at noble for some more mapping.
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what cams you gone for? what other goodies, u2u me if its top secret!
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and after some research, cool running stats can do more harm than good..... to make a noticeable difference, a 72 degree t.stat can be used but this can cause lower oil temps (poor lubrication) and your coolant temp has a lot to do with the timing and ignition on an engine. although the optimum temp for a performance N/A engine is 85 degrees it seems that 90-98 degrees is more sensible for most engines.

for now im sticking with my standard stat and probably just fitting a more reliable fan switch!
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you standard fan switch playing up?

i was going to fit twin fans, and a manual over ride switch, but there is no need at all, the water temp never causes me any issues at all, apart from on the rollers but then thats to be expected after 5 hours
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
what cams you gone for? what other goodies, u2u me if its top secret!

no, not top secret. I measured my cams when they were out recently (during the head gasket explosion) and it turned out that they were standard GM cams that had been re-ground. (as lots of people expected tbh) we measured them but couldnt get an accurate reading to determine the duration etc as we didnt have the right tools. after a bit of investigation they are believed to be approx 250 degrees.

anyway, after speaking to jr I have bought his head and 264 schrick cams and piper verniers that he was selling. the head will be used for something else but the cams etc... are going in mine. aso purchased are some new filters and 120mm stacks and trumpets.
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you standard fan switch playing up?

yes, ive now broken 2 of them. the last one was only 3 months old from vaux! temps arent causing probs, was just reading an article in ppc magazine and got thinking...
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

180 bhp, would be good from 264's, but i think the cams are going to limit you abit there in all honesty!

what head is on yours?
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how are you breaking the fan switches?
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, am not hoping for miracles from the cams, but ive done pretty well from the dodgy ones in there at the moment and they arent even on verniers. All my bhp figures have been at the wheels (153) so im hoping for 160 at the wheels from these cams and verniers.

The huge trumpets are likely to lower the peak bhp but if I gain a bit of torque I will be happy. The head on there at the moment is an x16xe that has had quite a bit of work, matched inlet manifold etc...
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as for the fan switches, I dont know but vaux wont replace them
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im using a fan switch thats done about 120,000 miles now, and its not packed up lol!

get a load from the scrappy, see how they last
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont want to chance it after the last one... dead head gasket

I will fit a new one but keep my reciept from vaux and make them agree to the 12 month warranty that they promised me with the last 2. I will make them sign it in blood
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your worries about it fit a decent water temp gauge (mocal do one thats good) and a manual over ride switch for the fan.
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not too worried tbh. more like looking for something else to spend money on.

water, oil temp and oil pressure gauges are nxt on the list. (after the cams, trumpets, re-map, new fan switch, new bonnet....... fuck, this games expensive
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell me about it, nos next for me.......lalalalala

yours stripped out yet?

im so lucky my remaps dont cost me....
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, back is stripped. front is sort of intact for the moment until I buy a new everyday car. (the missus has car-napped the 1.8 sri. she loves it and wont give it back)

re-maps cost me about £200 a time although i do a lot of the basics myself which brings the cost down.
supermike

4th Jul 06 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

standard thermostat temps are, Starts to open at 92 and is fully open at 107. Straight from the Corsa Haynes Manual
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

200 is cheap tho! mind you its not a full remap, but still its not a bad price!

Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, thats for about 3 hours or so. Noble did all the mapping on the car so they are familiar with it. im dreading the bill for the cams to be dialled in and mapped.
broster
Premium Member

4th Jul 06 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, shouldnt take to long to dial them in really, just causes problems when they dial them in then map then change the timing and need to remap lol
Dave A

4th Jul 06 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

presactly

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cool running thermostats for x16xe.... 23 database queries in 0.1907361 seconds