corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Reformating a PC, anyone had probs doing it whilst connected to the NET?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reformating a PC, anyone had probs doing it whilst connected to the NET?
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
20th Apr 06 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

G'Day!

Basically i'm reformatting my for the 4th time in a week, but this time without the net comnnected when i do it.

Basically it loads up slow as fewk, disk defrag doesnt respond.....i'm about lost for choices. The thing cost me 2k a year ago, god hope its not a major fault.

Is it best to get everything installed, drivers, anti virus software before connecting to the net.........i've never had a problem before though.

[Edited on 20-04-2006 by X 60RSA]
Melville

20th Apr 06 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes

Install windows, drivers, ANTIVIRUS, FIREWALL, programs then connect to the net.

THEN UPDATE YOUR VIRUS AND FIREWALL!
ssj_kakarot

20th Apr 06 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wont have any problems but id advise to dicconect it first then get everything installed then update.

[Edited on 20-04-2006 by ssj_kakarot]
X 60RSA

20th Apr 06 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wondered if until i get my virus shoot installed etc some random bugs are attacking my pc, if it doesnt work this time i'm lost.

I've deleted the old partition and i'm reformating on a new one for the 3rd time now.

[Edited on 20-04-2006 by X 60RSA]
Marc

20th Apr 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you connect to the net before installing anti virus etc, you will find yourself formatting again shortly afterwards!
abdus

20th Apr 06 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont use any anti virus..just run windows defender everyday

anti virus just bring along viruses

[Edited on 20-04-2006 by abdus]
Marc

20th Apr 06 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet if you ran one you would find quite a few however...
Cybermonkey

20th Apr 06 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by abdus

i dont use any anti virus..just run windows defender everyday

anti virus just bring along viruses

[Edited on 20-04-2006 by abdus]

meanwhile someone is stealing all your private information without you ever knowing. like the debit/credit card number you use over the net. You will have some form of trojan sitting on your harddrive, or a type of worm waiting for you attach some files in an email.
peoples ignorance over internet security these days astounds me. i formatted my computer a few months back, connected to the net without any antivirus software running and i was infected by 25-30 different viruses in the space of 30 minutes
abdus

20th Apr 06 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

windows defender does a good job...have you tried it? and it's all free....

btw how's it possible to get infected if you use safe sites? email attachments are scanned depending on the mail service you use...

Well, I've been browsing on the net for so long now but never encountered such kind of infections...btw i do have a look at the ruuning processes now and then...
Cybermonkey

20th Apr 06 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by abdus
windows defender does a good job...have you tried it? and it's all free....

btw how's it possible to get infected if you use safe sites? email attachments are scanned depending on the mail service you use...

Well, I've been browsing on the net for so long now but never encountered such kind of infections...btw i do have a look at the ruuning processes now and then...

there are free programs on the net, AVGFree is very good. and yes i have tried windows defender. its a resource hungry piece of shit. and its possible to get a virus from just being connected to the internet. how can you be 100% sure you are using safe sites too? one dodgy link and its game over with no protection. and you probably use some form of instant messenger...
lets not forget the thouasand of e-scumbugs doing random portscans waiting for an open connection. and most viruses will not show up in the system processes
_Allan_

20th Apr 06 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AVG, Zone Alarm and Windows Defender used and put on before updating and connection to net. After my reinstall I forgot to put on ZA and connected to the net. No kidding with 20 secs I got that annyoing virus that shuts the PC down after 30 secs. I had the stinger all ready for it but annoyed the fuck out of me for a bit.
Skylined

20th Apr 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows defender, Adaware and Spybot etc get rid of spyware, not viruses.

Get AVG

New Poll